Cleaning/restoring The Bbq Hotplate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I followed fergi's instructions yesterday & coated all the bbq hotplate & grill with peanut oil yesteday, heated it up then chucked salt all over evrything (lost abit down the cracks on the grill).

Watched the salt turn black in a few spots, scraped it all off after 5 mins & couldn't believe how clean the plates were - this is probably the first time I've properly cleaned the barbie in the 2 years I've had it. Because of my neglect it had caked on burnt food etc & I thought it was nearly unsavable.

Gave it a final coat of peanut oil & now I'm ready to go!!

Jez

Well thanks to this thread I went out and did a complete clean of the barbie including a new ignition switch, oiled trolley, new fat absorber etc.

What I can't believe from all the "SO CALLED EXPERTS" is that not 1 of you mentioned the most important part of getting the bbq spotless....... copious quantitys of home brew liberally applied (into a glass and then drunk of course)... my bbq now looks a treat... hope it looks as good tomorrow :lol: :chug:

Salt and Peanut oil have just done the job for me again.

Thanks again Fergi.

Beers,
Doc

A bit late, but I don't recommend the salt. Where does it all end up? Rusting the frame, burners and drip tray. A BBQ salesman/builder/repairer I know from another forum would freak out completely every time someone mentioned using salt on the hotplate.

OCC said:
good things take time ah doc.... :p :p :p
[post="91864"][/post]​

I cleaned it up last year using this method, and have done so again today.
Looks fit for cooking on again :lol:

Doc

I used the salt method last night.

works a treat. all the baked on crap just lifts right off.

as for the frame rusting, it's doing that already from sitting out in the elements but not enough to worry about.

Jez

It is also important to clean your BBQ after each use making sure youhave burnt or scraped off all food and fatty residue. Simply use a scraperor newspaper to remove the excess residue and remember to turn offthe gas at the bottle.

ANNUAL MAINTENANCEAs much as we dislike hearing this, it is a good idea to clean your wholeBBQ annually. Here we go:

1. Take off the hood and remove the hot plate, grill and the drip tray.
2. Disconnect the gas hose leaving it attached to the bottle.
3. Remove the cast iron burners and scrape off loose flakey rust with awire brush.
4. Dispose of the drip tray absorbing material then clean it along withthe hot plate and grill with a bbq degreaser.
5. Use vegetable/canola/olive oil or a specific BBQ product to applyto all cast iron surfaces including grills, plates, burners and castiron rock trays.
6. Remove the operating knobs.
7. Clean the steel chasis of the bbq with hot soapy water and a scourerpad. If it is stainless steel you may choose to polish.
8. Replace all parts of the BBQ and attach the gas.
9. Close the hood.Your BBQ is now ready for a gourmet feast.BBQ cleaners anddegreasers A well maintained BBQ isa joy to cook on.\

i should know im a scrubber from penrith panthers main kitchen i clean the grills and hot plates lemon and salt it the best lemon acts like a acid and reconditions the grills and hot plates

View attachment fuck_face.bmp

have a question to you guys using salt to clean your BBQ's. Is the entire BBQ made of stainless? Would be heaps of salt and heat (particularly if you have a hood on your BBQ).You might as well drive the BBQ into the sea to give it a clean.
Add some oil to the plate BEFORE winter is the trick. No rust 8). Oil just scrapes off like it was used yesterday.
my 0.0002 cents

I don't actually clean my BBQ after each use. I just leave the thick layer of grease, then next time, heat it up, and throw some water on. It causes the oil to lift off, which is easily scraped off. Then just oil it, and it's spotless.

The frame is another story though.

My cleaning process (bearing in mind that it NEVER gets cleaned after use):

1 - Get it hot...REALLY HOT!

2 - Pour on el-cheapo dishwashing detergent and scrape with anything on hand.

3 - Spray with hose.

4 - Get it hot again.

5 - Spray with hose again...by now all detergent has been dispatched by heat and hosing.

6 - Chuck on a sh*tload of olive oil.

7 - Once the olive oil has almost (but not completely) burned off, pour on the salt...and lots of it.

8 - Scrape the burnt salt off.

9 - Add more olive oil.

10 - Cook those snags and onions.

11 - Tell people b*itching about lack of salads and better meats they should have brought their own...this is a BBQ, not a bistro people!

This method is used for my dairy-brick and steel plate wood-fired BBQ...it would probably not be such a good idea for the guys using gas!

PZ.

p.s. If you think that is a little too elaborate, you DO NOT want to be in the kitchen with me :lol:

If I have only ever used salt on the BBQ and I mix half a beer with it. And you don't make friends with salad!!!

If it is really rusty, get some rust converter which is phosphoric acid and spray it on and leave for a while. Then clean using water, a wire brush and condition the plate with oil as per the various methods described above.

Latest posts

Back