Cleaning Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well yesterday i cleaned and filled my new kegs for the 1st time.

In the process of squeezing beer lines on the a barb i slipped and took a chunk out of the top of my finger.

After this came the question of how i was now to steralise the barb i cut myself on.

I soaked it in boiling water for 10 mins then no rinse sanatiser over it.

it then went on the keg and had pbw and sanatiser ran through it again.

I was just wondering what you guys do in times like this.

Cheers Vice

Swear alot and pretty much do as you have done :D

I thaught it would of been ok.

I will be giving me whole system a big clean after iv emptyed the kegs as it was pretty hard keeping everything really clean after i cut my finger.

As bandaids kept getting wet etc.

Hey guys.

In the process of squeezing beer lines on the a barb i slipped and took a chunk out of the top of my finger.

After this came the question of how i was now to steralise the barb i cut myself on.

Cheers Vice

Didn't cut myself, but there was a stupid amount of swearing until I got the line on the barb...then it leaked...then I tried again...then i got sick of pushing the line onto the barb and bought these...

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=744

Cut the beer line, push it in, so much easier. I can't recommend them enough.

To make it a little easier to get your beer line on your beer out barb you can can heat it up the barb under a cig lighter for a few seconds which will help sanititize too.
I don't worry too much with the sanitation around these keg parts, it's as rare as hens teeth to get get infections post fermentation. From what you've said that barb should be super clean.
If I had of got a little blood on a barb I would have just given it a quick wipe and sprayed some no rinse sanitiser on it.

^^^ good advice.

always heat the barb up as well as the line your trying to push on. if you push a warm piece of line onto a cold barb the plastic line just looses its heat.

Hey guys.

Cheers Vice

Not been a good week or so has it Vicelore - large spill and now brewing related injuries <_<

Brendo

I had both running under hot water but it still was a tight *******.. lol

I was more worried about the cleaning side of things.. ( a little paranoid :wacko: )

Not been a good week or so has it Vicelore - large spill and now brewing related injuries <_<

Brendo

Yea it seems every time i go near my brewing gear i hurt myself.

Last time i brewed i ended up with star san in my eyes now i just keep cutting myself.

My mate took a huge chunk out his finger whilst we where building my stand last night too... lol

Cheers Vice

Cheers Vice

Been there,done that :(

Batz

Out of curiousity as i dont know much about food and saftey standards.

Can Diseases be passed through cuts or blood comming into contact with beer ? ( i dont think i have any lol just dont know how it works.)

Cheers Vice.

as an aside- if your blood wasn't sterile, the cleanliness of your keg post would be the least of your worries...

remi

as an aside- if your blood wasn't sterile, the cleanliness of your keg post would be the least of your worries...

remi

I dont really understand what your saying there Remi Sorry mate.

I dont really understand what your saying there Remi Sorry mate.

I think hes referencing that if your blood was tainted enough for a few drops to cause major issues for your beer, your health would be have to be seriously bad....

Theres been debate for years as to transferrence of various diseases via blood contamination in food/beverages. Small amounts (such as in this case) pose an incredibly small risk when it is indirectly transferred (ie not wound to wound, such as needlestick injuries, or IV, such as transfusion).

Thaught so butters.

It wasnt the barb i was thinking about. I changed a band aid during the day as it was wet but seemed clean, I didnt wash my hands after as i was going through lots of band aids and i thaught it defeated the purpose.

I didnt touch my beer but did touch the end of a hose i was washing sanatiser out with for a moment.

Im sure its fine as i didnt see any blood or anything, plus the fementer was still full of star san foam I take it thats something you guys woudnt worry about ? but i just wanted to know how strict i should be if something like this happens again.

Cheers Vice.

I take it that you guys woudnt worry about something like that ? I am gonna give the system a full clean after the kegs are empty. So i take it that everything will be fine after that.

Cheers Vice.

Didn't cut myself, but there was a stupid amount of swearing until I got the line on the barb...then it leaked...then I tried again...then i got sick of pushing the line onto the barb and bought these...

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=744

Cut the beer line, push it in, so much easier. I can't recommend them enough.

+1. I figured when setting up my system, as a lifetime investment, this would be well worth the few extra $.

Shame about the cuts on the hands, who knew brewing was such an impact sport! :p

I take it that you guys woudnt worry about something like that ? I am gonna give the system a full clean after the kegs are empty. So i take it that everything will be fine after that.

Cheers Vice.

If its your blood, and you are drinking it all, then no probs in my book.

I would've thought a regular system clean is prudent in any case...

Well i wasnt planning on drinking it all myself. I brewed the beer with a mate and he thinks im a idiot for even worrieing about this stuff.

I told him that i touched the end of the garden hose when washing out sanatiser, with what i would call a un sterile hand (though i dont think it had any visual blood on it ). I had just changed a bandaid earlier. which looked clean ounce i went back and checked.

I was in a rush and being my 1st time sanatising kegs / setting up a system was a pretty stressfull and rushed process.

I will clean everything with PBW and a good star san soaking after the kegs are empty. plus flush all lines etc with sanatiser.

So i take it everything will be good after that ? I really dont want to feel like iv stuffed all my new gear by making one mistake.

Cheers Vice

Back