Clean Your Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remi

Reaction score
I have been annoyed by an odd flavour in my recent Red Ale which I only noticed towards the end of the keg. Switched over to a keg of Bock when the Red Ale ran dry (which was brewed a few months ago), and noticed the same unpleasant flavour...

Took the tap apart- whoa baby! I didn't think it had been that long... black gunk that was clearly the source of the off taste. Got into all the nooks and crannys of the tap with a pipe cleaner after a good soak, and was aghast at how much crap I removed.

Tap back together, beer tastes good again- but the tap now leaks! Maybe the gunk was making the seal. I'll see how it goes over the next few days, but it might be time for a set of new seals (3 yr old Celli's).

Anyway, just a friendly reminder to clean your taps if you haven't done it in a while.

Cheers

Remi

I flush my taps with water in a 25ml syringe and a cup after every session.

I pull my Perlicks (525s) apart once a month, probably should do it more often, but that seems to keep the nasties at bay. Oh yeah I also spray starsan into and over them after every session....

Had some Celli knock-offs and the gunk they grew was frightening both in volume and speed, even with the monthly cleaning.

I have a friend in the health scene that got me a 60ml syringe that works a treat. Before that used a 25ml which worked well at cleaning the nozzle and I run through some water at the end of each keg but still pull my Celli's apart every 4-5 months for a soak. Thanks for the reminder remi must do them again in the next few weeks.

Drew

I have a friend in the health scene that got me a 60ml syringe that works a treat. Before that used a 25ml which worked well at cleaning the nozzle and I run through some water at the end of each keg but still pull my Celli's apart every 4-5 months for a soak. Thanks for the reminder remi must do them again in the next few weeks.

Drew

Yep- I do the same, 60ml flush religiously after each and every use...inside gunk still bloody scary!

Remi

Funny about the things we get lazy about, some of them you don't even realize. Ever pulled apart your QD's? :icon_vomit:

Funny about the things we get lazy about, some of them you don't even realize. Ever pulled apart your QD's? :icon_vomit:
I clean everything - taps, disconnects, lines .... when I clean a batch of kegs, which is around every 4-6 weeks.
The disconnects are always very clean - and probably could be cleaned less often.....
but the taps certainly need it.

I run sodium perc and starsan threw the lines and let it sit in there for about 30 mins after each keg use. clean the taps every month or so. or if its sat there without being used for a week I clean them.

This is what I found in mine
P1150553.jpg

ive asked at many chemists and 5 to 10ml is the biggest they stock. where do you guys get the bigger ones?

I just use a squirty bottle with Starsan in it to flush my taps after use. $1 at a cheap-arse store B)

HC

Edit: Are there any taps that don't get this or get a reduced amount?

i just use a butter knife to unscrew, theres a little bit of spring tension there but nothing to be concerned about.
a little gasket up top, valve and spring, similar to poppet valve. pretty straight forward.

How do you pull a disconnect apart? Undo the top using the slot?
:huh:

Yep.

I haven't cleaned mine in, um - ever..

I've cleaned my tap once.

I feel so dirty.

And yeasty.

Yep.

I haven't cleaned mine in, um - ever..

I've cleaned my tap once.

I feel so dirty.

And yeasty.

Same, mate. Mine are 7 years old and have done the rounds thats for sure. I have a job on the weekend.

I am extremely slack in cleaning my taps, at about once a yearly quarter (do it every bas).. sure they have some crud but nothing like mentioned.

I guess if they are running hot enough they look after them self. :p

Anyway, went and pulled a disconnect apart , this is now 2 years in service and hasn't been pulled apart before:

Excuse the shitty phone pic:

IMG_0249.JPG

So, that amount of crud in 2 odd years in ratio.. hmm...

Its like pulling your shower head apart.

Don't worry about cleaning them; just tell everyone you brewed a lambic :D

QldKev

Damn you guys! Now I have to go and clean everything. I was looking for alot more posts saying the've never cleaned and everything is super shiney. <_<

Latest posts

Back