Citrusy hops in a wheat? or not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
I am contemplating a wheat beer for my next brew.

I have a tonne of English hops on hand (EKG, Bramling Cross, Challenger) - but they arent ideal for a wheat.

I also have some of the citrusy hops like Citra and Galaxy on hand.

Now if I am thinking Orange and Coriander Hoegardenish style of wheat - why not use the citrus style citra/galaxy?

Oranges are citrus after all.

I could always buy more hops - but I am trying to se up what I have.

Are you just asking about a bittering addition, with the standard ~20 IBU? If you're making an orange and coriander witbier, with proper witbier yeast, then the flavour will be well dominated by those ingredients, not so much your bittering hops. Try bittering with Citra, and the little flavour/aroma that comes through from a 60m addition might well be a pleasant surprise....or it just might well be invisible...should be fine either way.

You could try going down the american wheat route if you're feeling adventurous. I made a 50/50 wheat with us05 and shitloads of cascade and it turned out pretty decent. Or you could try something similar to that redback stuff which doesn't have the typical witbier yeasty taste but still definitely wheaty :)

Back