Cider Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drew9242 said:
That's about the speed of my first cider as well. Tastes good though. Bit confusing that it doesn't have a krausen, had to check a couple times to see if it was fermenting.
Cider doesn't throw a krausen. Same way it doesn't hold a head when you pour it. Its low in protein so the bubbles aren't stable. Its the protein in beer that makes the head stable.

Cheers
Dave

kahlerisms said:
Yeah, was hoping to have it in the keg and on its way to being carbed in time for a BBQ tomorrow, but at this rate I'm not even going to take another grav reading until next Wednesday (day 13) and see how I'm going.
IMHO cider isn't something you can rush. If you want to brew something quick and get it into you within a few weeks of pitching then cider isn't the drink to do it with, brew a heffe instead. As Bum said, low and slow for a cider and within reason, the slower the better (mine are in the fermenter for a month minimum). They also generally need long conditioning time. I tend not to touch my ciders for at least 6-12 months, drinking before that wouldn't do them justice. I cracked one that was brewed about 2 years ago the other day and it was one of the best ciders I've had.

FWIW I don't bother taking a gravity reading on mine until about week 3.

JD

Took another reading on day 10. Not a lot more movement - down to 1.020. I think I'm going to put it to one side of the brewfridge and ignore it for a couple of weeks and keep on fermenting other things. I've got three cubes backed up that need some fermenter time - wasn't expecting my cider to take so long.

Day 18 - 1012.

I think this is the slowest fermenting ale yeast I've had in three years of brewing :p

Could be lack of nutrient.... Ciders are lower in nutrient than beer worts so the yeast may be struggling. Particularly an ale strain that is bread to work on beer.

Cheers
dave

Edit: On the other hand, a long, slow ferment is good for cider...

kahlerisms said:
Day 18 - 1012.

I think this is the slowest fermenting ale yeast I've had in three years of brewing :p
That is cider my friend, they all take their time. The wait will be worth it.

If you want to brew something quick, brew a hefeweizen. If you keg you can have it grain to brain in 7 days.

As a rough and ready, before I had a fermenter, I threw Bakers Yeast (from the supermarket) into various 1.5 L and 2 L off the shelf containers of Apple Juice (preservative free). Capped with plastic film and a rubber band, then I went on holiday and forgot all about them.
Just sampled them this week. Of course they are flat (is still the correct terminology?), they taste of apples and boy do they have a kick. I like a dry cider and these are very dry.
Basically trying to say in my naive opinion that we should not get too fussed about yeasts.
Aldi Apple Juice tasted like an apple flavoured white wine. Worth doing in a fermenter with a better yeast and bottling to get some fizz. It was clear.
Nudie Apple Juice remained cloudy, is dry and tastes like apples. Some fizz would improve it immensely. And it has a kick like a mule. If I see it on special I will also try doing a "proper" batch.

Basically trying to say in my naive opinion that we should not get too fussed about yeasts.

Unless you actually enjoy well crafted cider instead of the bland fizzy stuff mostly available on the market, in which case juice and yeast choices are both important.

Bludger said:
I hope you've got a good flame suit, because you're likely to cop a hiding making comments like that on here.

The reason people spend a bit more money on yeast (for both cider and beer) is they are a known quantity and will give you consistent results, you know what is in them and that they aren't going to introduce anything unwanted into brew.

IMHO yeast is the star of the brewing process, and I am (and will continue to be) overly fussed about yeasts.

Honestly, it's a bit too hard to get proper upset with the statement in question as he immediately goes on to say it would be better with a better yeast.

Airgead said:
Cider doesn't throw a krausen. Same way it doesn't hold a head when you pour it. Its low in protein so the bubbles aren't stable. Its the protein in beer that makes the head stable.

Cheers
Dave
Tell that to my Whitelabs english cider yeast starter. Climbed out of the flask. Nothing but yeast and fresh apple juice.

A krausen is less about the medium and more about the yeast itself which is why some yeasts, even in a protein rich barley/wheat wort, appear not to be doing anything but still ferment out. Temperature and rate of fermentation are also factors.

That said, cider once carbonated doesn't hold a head but the krausen on my starter is bigger than any lager ferment i have seen.

EDIT - corrected myself.

DrSmurto said:
Tell that to my Whitelabs english cider yeast starter. Climbed out of the flask. Nothing but yeast and fresh apple juice.

A krausen is less about the medium and more about the yeast itself which is why some yeasts, even in a protein rich barley/wheat wort, appear not to be doing anything but still ferment out. Temperature and rate of fermentation are also factors.

That said, cider once carbonated doesn't hold a head but the krausen on my starter is bigger than any lager ferment i have seen.

EDIT - corrected myself.
True... top croppers will form a big head. In that case the foam stability comes from the yeast not the liquid.

i was thinking more of bottom fermenters.

Cheers
Dave

My juice produces a lot of foam, but I think it is because fresh pressed juice still has suspended solids.
Regarding yeast, Andrew Lea says that most of the flavour of cider comes from the yeast, rather than the juice, but he uses wild ferments. I think you should use a wine yeast or ale yeast that is known to do well with cider, but I don't think yeast selection is crucial. It is more important to have a good airtight seal, small airspace and good quality juice (in my opinion).

To everyone: Flame away as long as you know about the difference between a healthy exchange of opinions, which can be a good learning process, and abuse.
JDW81 said:
I hope you've got a good flame suit, because you're likely to cop a hiding making comments like that on here.

Pitched the starter (Whitelabs english cider) in to the juice on Saturday night. Set to 16C. Added some yeast nutrient.

This morning both fermenters have solid krausens and one is attempting to escape.

Gday everyone. This is my very first post so be gentle. I have done only done 9 brews so very inexperienced. Mainly used Lavlin ec-1118 yeast. I was told being a champagne yeast it was good for me cider because it is a 'clean' yeast so to speak. It will let them apple flavour speak for itself. Not having experimented much with yeast its hard to pass judgement. I find it ferments fast (after reading this thread thats not a good thing) and seems to settle very well after fementing.

Greetings Simchop, I've just got into cider myself and I'm onto my second batch using the yeast (clearly labelled "cider yeast") I got originally with a Black Rock kit. I too have been wondering what I'm going to use when the current yeast goes wrong, as they can do after too many generations.

The thing that hit me with the cider yeast is that it drops to a really sticky compact layer on the bottom of the fermenter that just about has to be taken off with a paint scraper, plus the fact that after only 9 days and kegged, it tastes as good as commercial offerings such as Bulmers or Mercury.

I would bet that the 1118 yeast has more in common with the cider yeast than an ale yeast. And yes if I was mad enough to use say West Yorkshire 1469 with a cider I'd be disappointed if it didn't crawl out of the FV :D

I note that CraftBrewer are out of all their wine yeasts. Where did you get yours from?

I got my lavlin ec1118 of ebay. There is lots of yeasts on ebay but mostly beer. I also tried a black rock cider kit (5 seeds). It was very dry which isnt my sort of thing. I like sweeter ciders. Im about to experiment with sorbitol as a non fermentable natural sweetner rather than lactose.

Ec1118 is a champagne strain. Not bad for cider but will ferment really, really dry.

Most LHBS will have it in little foil packs for a couple of bucks.

A lot of ciders are made with wine yeasts. There are some really nice strains for a wine style cider. I used 71B to do a braeburn cyser. Very nice.

Cheers
Dave

Back