Cider Yeast Selection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opposition

Reaction score
Hi all,

With the inability of getting a proper liquid yeast to do a cider today, can anyone tell me if a coopers yeast, or even a saf yeast would produce something good??? Looking to use 21L Woolies Apple Juice and said yeast.

Looking forward to your replies.

Dean.

The only yeast I've ever used for cider is a white wine yeast (dried). However if you check the simple cider thread in the non-beer brewing section, you'll notice people have had success with US05, S04 and some other dry yeasts.

i've gotten very good results using a dried champagne yeast.
murray

I use Proculture Pro-99 Mead Yeast which turned out a nice cider.

If you have it on hand and really need to get it on today S-04 will be ok. but I would highly recommend Wyeast 4766 Cider yeast IMHO its the only one to use

beers
Franko

I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve.

I'm looking to highlight the flavour of the fruit I'm using, so am using EC-1118 champagne yeast and fermenting controlled cool.

If you want some yeasty flavours, then a less-clean yeast is the way to go. The dedicated cider yeasts (like their mead cousins) produce flavours that are often traditionally associated with cider (mead) and so might not be a bad choice, but one way to look at it is that a champagne yeast is about the cheapest yeast you can pull out of a HBS fridge and so probably isn't over-capitalising your supermarket apple-juice investment.

I reckon cold-fermented champagne & supermarket juice makes a nice, simple warm-weather drink.

If you have it on hand and really need to get it on today S-04 will be ok. but I would highly recommend Wyeast 4766 Cider yeast IMHO its the only one to use

beers
Franko

The old +1 to that

Used S-04 in a Grapple (20L Apple 2.4L Grape Juice) made a few weeks before XMAS 1.043 down to 1.007. Way better than the super dry things I've made before using Champers yeast.

Cheers,

Screwy

Ive used 4766 and didnt like the end result it was super dyr. Used US05 and finished a bit sweeter. Apple flavour was cleaner too IMO

Cheers

Ive used 4766, white wine and champers yeast on exactly the same juice.

In my opinion, all three are very good, but the white wine yeast wins. 4766 is a tad too tart for my liking (others love it though), the champagne is a bit too dry but the white wine yeast comes out very crisp and subtle. I will give US05 or 04 a go next time and see what happens :)

I wonder what the proculture ginger beer yeast would be like in a cider...?

Latest posts

Back