Cider Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently have considered making cider due to the fact I have enough room to grow some apple trees. I live north of the city in Victoria on a mountain thats of a decent altitude so it gets pretty cold; I've read that's good for apple growing?. I realise they wont be decent enough for a few years but I'm looking at the long term investment. Basically my main question is do sweeter apples make sweeter cider? I wonder when people refer to a proper cider, I assume this is a blend of sweetness and acidic tastes but if that's what the majority of ciders on the market are..... I'd definitely prefer something sweeter, for example between a Rekorderlig and a standardish acidic cider on the market today...Rekorderlig is too sweet. I read you need the right blend of acidic and sweet, is this for taste or brewing purposes? If anyone has any websites, books, info, etc.. I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
Eddy

Hi all,

Recently have considered making cider due to the fact I have enough room to grow some apple trees. I live north of the city in Victoria on a mountain thats of a decent altitude so it gets pretty cold; I've read that's good for apple growing?. I realise they wont be decent enough for a few years but I'm looking at the long term investment. Basically my main question is do sweeter apples make sweeter cider? I wonder when people refer to a proper cider, I assume this is a blend of sweetness and acidic tastes but if that's what the majority of ciders on the market are..... I'd definitely prefer something sweeter, for example between a Rekorderlig and a standardish acidic cider on the market today...Rekorderlig is too sweet. I read you need the right blend of acidic and sweet, is this for taste or brewing purposes? If anyone has any websites, books, info, etc.. I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
Eddy
HelloEddy,

Try these sites for real cider apple trees. They may have some left.

http://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au/woodbridgefruittrees/

http://www.yalcafruittrees.com.au/index.htm

To make real cider the apples must have the correct acid and tannin levels.

Most eating or dessert apples do not have these levels. You may add some crab apple juice to ordinary apple juice
to increase the tannin level but, if you have the space , get yourself some cider apple trees.

I am currently drinking a cider form cider apple juice provided by a member here Greg.L and it is fantastic.

Regards

Graeme

Hi all,

Cheers
Eddy

This book is worth the $17 you will pay for it. Includes a section on apple types and planting and growing appriopriate trees.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Cider-Anni...x/9781580175203

That is a good book. go to that website and search for cider, you will find at least 2 other books which
are worth having.

The English books are more likely to have cider apple types which are available in Australia.

Regards

Graeme

Latest posts

Back