Cider Pitching Rates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freek

Reaction score
So the wifes bugging me for a keg of cider. Even though its not for me I want to do the best job of it possible. Through some experience I now know how important it is to have the correct quantity of healthy yeast in beer, so I am assuming the same is true with cider.

Does anyone have recommended pitching rates in Mcells/mL/degP?

Also, should the starter be apple juice or is a DME based wort starter okay?

I don't know about rates. In general, proceed as normal. Get a good yeast - either a wine yeast or a specific cider yeast (White Labs one is pretty good) and pitching at the same rates as beer should yield satisfactory results.

I'd say if anything cider is *more* fermentable than beer because there's less issues with the amount of fermentable sugars in the wort - apple juice will ferment almost right out.

Starters are always sensible. Preferably do it from apple juice, you want the yeast to get used to the medium.

Don't forget nutrient for the yeast

I just did the same thing for the Mrs, but I said I am not filling a keg with it, ill bottle it for her. Just used the yeast that came with the kit, some yeast nutrient and I threw in a 2 litre bottle of apple juice for good measure. Should be a real panty dropper with an OG of 1.044. lol :)

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to answer my own question here. The pitching rates I am settling on is recommended on Wyeast site- 70 Billion cells for 22 L. Allegedly "the same pitching rates used by professionals".https://www.wyeastlab.com/he_c_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=18

I get what you say TimT about getting the yeast used to the medium. I would be surprised if the pros used beer wort for starters. I do wonder what they do though. In the "Yeast" book Chris White states the importance of sterile medium when stepping up from low cell volumes and I had this concern with juice. I am sure its not as sterile as a starter wort.

One way for me to find out. I will give it a crack.

Have you guys got a good recipe ya willing to share? My mrs is also asking, but I might top the gravity up near 1.050 to get the panties dropped!!! Haha

My recipe begins with "take a shitload of apples from every tree you can find" - ie, it changes every time I make it! (I like the results though.)

My recipe is the same as Tim's. In general though, juice, sugar to raise the OG (if you really need to... . I have never bothered) and yeast is all you need. That and a bit of time to let it age out. Cider rewards patience. So will your missus...

MIne is dead simple
chilled juice from the apple farmer, (we're talking 16% sugar here)
Lavlin 71B Yeast + GoFerm
Ferment until dry

Rack once or twice to clear

Bulk-prime with sugar at 15g/L and a little fresh yeast
throw in bottles

leave for 6 weeks minimum before drinking

The good lady likes perry as well as cider so for the second, she bought 15 odd litres of pear and apple juice, I think it was about $18. I then pitched a sachet of mangrove jacks cider yeast. OG was about 1.045. Others say it's good to leave in the primary for a while to improve the flavour, so it was in for 3 and a bit weeks at around 20-21c. FG at 1.006 when I bottled it with 3 vols.

Didn't bother with a secondary as it dropped pretty clear.

To be honest, cider is dead simple. Only issue is not using cider apples/pears means that it can be a little boring as its so dry and little tannins.

Latest posts

Back