Chrome Plated Brass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyatt_girth

Reaction score
I barged in on another thread yesterday (apologies for the hijack) with this question but I thought I would post it again seperately.
From looking at the prices for taps, SS being a bit dearer than chrome plated brass, what can I expect from a SS that I wont get from a chrome? This is probably well known to most but not me so sorry if it is a stupid question.
I'm workin out the budget before presenting for approval and have seen that Craftbrewer have got a micromatic (fridge kit) that may help the cause.
Should I stop being a tightarse (and risk the raising of eyebrow/s from SWMBO) and go SS or will I be ok for a while with chrome, and how long before I will need an upgrade anyway?

Are you talking about font taps, or ball valves on brewing gear?
If it is font taps, then chrome is bling and the beer is in contact with it for all of a split second. So no issue other than how it looks to you i beleive.

There is a good thread on this here
There are some people who are pensive about the long term effects of having acidic liquid in constant contact with brass fittings as there will be 'some' leeching of the tap's material into the liquid which may be bad for you. Ultimately you will have to decide :) . I upgraded to gold plated brass taps as I was a bit toey about the exposure :ph34r: .
Cheers
Doug

Back