Chrome plating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mondestrunken

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of expanding/upgrading the homebrewery, and my first job is an esky mash tun.
I bought a few different fittings which as far as I can tell are chrome plated brass.
Is there any issue with chrome plating?
My go-to resource on metallurgy is Palmer's "Home to Brew", but I couldn't find the information I was looking for in there.

Thanks.

A lot of the taps are chrome, the only downside I can think of is the acid base sanitizer's attacking the chrome. But only if in contact for a lengthy period.

A lot of the taps are chrome, the only downside I can think of is the acid base sanitizer's attacking the chrome. But only if in contact for a lengthy period.
Thanks wide eyed and legless. You have hit upon my concern although I don't plan to be using sanitiser on the connections (being pre-boil kit). My concern is with acidity of the mash on chrome plating.
The fittings have AS3688 stamped on them, which I found out from google is drinking water standard connections so no worries there.
I guess the question is whether the additional acidity would dissolve chrome (as we know beer/wort is different from water otherwise none of us would be here)? Surely others are using these fittings, or does everyone just use non-plated brass?
Cheers!

Thanks wide eyed and legless. You have hit upon my concern although I don't plan to be using sanitiser on the connections (being pre-boil kit). My concern is with acidity of the mash on chrome plating.
The fittings have AS3688 stamped on them, which I found out from google is drinking water standard connections so no worries there.
I guess the question is whether the additional acidity would dissolve chrome (as we know beer/wort is different from water otherwise none of us would be here)? Surely others are using these fittings, or does everyone just use non-plated brass?
Cheers!
I used to use brass fittings in my aluminium pots one for mash one for boil, I wouldn't be at all worried about it, its not like its a strong acid, at mash pH.

Back