'christmas In July' Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
Hey, was planning future brews (haven't been brewing much recently :angry: ) and wanting to make a batch of a christmas style beer, and thought that a clone of the Bah Humbug Christmas Ale would set me a challenge.

What do you reckon will make up a good recipe to copy this beer? AG please :)

From Ratebeer...

"Commercial Description:
Winter Warmer.
Bah Humbug is a 6% abv brew using not just the traditional malted barley and hops, but also a big sprinkling of cinnamon. The effect of the cinnamon is to give a spicy, almost banana-like flavour as often found on German wheat beers; and this blends with the sweet-honeyed flavours of the Maris Otter barley to create a beer with all the fruit flavours of mince pies, Christmas Pudding and Christmas cake all rolled into one."

Not quite sure about the "Spicy, amost banana-like" bit :blink:. Maybe Maris Otter, 5-10% crystal, and a whole bunch of cinnamon sticks in the boil? No idea for the yeast though.

Belgian Pale Ale yeast ? Or something in that vain. Make 6% on it's ear and enhance the spicy cinnamon ?

hmm, I'll consider everything here- bconnery- looks like an interesting recipe! mika_lika- I'll probably use a belgian strain of some sort, and that one sounds interesing. Adamt- yeah, the banana part sounds a bit meh but I am overall looking for that 'pudding' flavour.

What level of IBUs should I be aiming for?

It's an extact on a pale ale base but this recipe might give you some spice ideas...

It needed a long time to settle into a balance though, before that one spice or another dominated for a period.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=171
I like the idea of doinf an xmas brew esp as it will be my little girl's first xmas (not that she'll be drinkning the brew of course!)

I havent done a full extract before and just wanted to know your thoughts on the difficulty of replicating the Chrismoose Ale? and whether there were some more 'complete' instructions available?

I'd recommend replacing the light grain with liquid malt extract (there's a ratio of liquid L/kg, not sure what it is- same for dried kg/grain kg), and steep some crystal and munich for the darkness. However, if you don't want to steep grains yet, I'd handball the question to someone else :p

I like the idea of doinf an xmas brew esp as it will be my little girl's first xmas (not that she'll be drinkning the brew of course!)

I havent done a full extract before and just wanted to know your thoughts on the difficulty of replicating the Chrismoose Ale? and whether there were some more 'complete' instructions available?

It's a pretty easy beer to make, and extract brewing is easy as long as you've got a decent sized pot to go on the stove, 10-15L ideally. Steeping grains remains the same.

I generally steep by starting in cold water and slowly raising the temperature until about 75C. Or when it starts to feel really hot if you don't have a thermometer... I then strain this into my boil pot to start the boil.

Here's my notes. I don't know how familiar you are with the @time remaining recipe notation but at the risk of telling you what you already know @45 just means with 45 minutes remaining in the boil...

Here's the method with hop additions. When adding extract it's a good idea to remove the pot from the heat while stirring it in to avoid scorching. There's no need to use dried and liquid extract as I have here, I just had that at the time...

Method:
Steep grains. Strain into boil pot. Add approx. 2L boiling water
Boil some water, Honey, orange rind, juice & spices in separate pot for 45 minutes. (This can be done at the same time as the main boil)
10g Hersbrucker 20g Hallertau@45. 1kg DME @30. 2kg LME 25g Hersbrucker 20g Hallertau @15. Mix in spices etc. @ end.
Topped up with very chilled water to 23L.
Fermented warmish, about 22C I think, trying to get lots of character out of the T58, which I think is ideal for this sort of beer. Either that or K97. Liquid wise a belgian could do it nicely, or an english ale yeast. But t58 is perfect in my book.

Hope that answers all your questions. If not, drop me a PM or else I can put more in this thread.

I ground most of the spices up a bit in a mortar and pestle. Some of them, like the cinnamon are a bit of an approximation.

If you do want this for christmas I would recommend you make it no later than early July. Mid June was when I did and it was pretty much perfect, maybe a tiny bit past when it was best.The spices were all present but one no longer dominated as they had at times earlier.

Late June would probably be ideal.

I was brewing a wit the other day but didn't have the coriander seeds required to suit my tastes. So I had a look in the cupboard and decided to throw in 7g ground cinnamon and 7g ground nutmeg along with the 3-4g coriander seeds and 35g dried orange peel I had left. 48% Pilsener malt, 50% Torrified wheat and some oats. Fermented with Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit yeast has come down to 1.006 and ready to bottle.

Fairly spicy flavour and well fermented. I'm calling it a Whte Christmas.

Latest posts

Back