Christmas 2015 Big Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate
Reaction score
I posted this on our Facebook page but considering not everyone stalks, thought I might put it here.
BIG BEER. Most drinkers don't know they love it until they try it. With the Aussie government pushing to continually weaken our beers and reduce the size of our bottles, the CUBs and XXXXes have enough of a foothold on the average drinker to ensure that they'll never know what an English Barley Wine is. Well about 10 months ago I made one, and it's honestly one of the best drops I've had. And it only cost me about $35 for 11 litres for 9.6% bitter heaven. I've now made a vow that once I'm halfway through my previous big beer, the next one is brewed and the circle of life continues. I'm never out of 'special occasion' beer. Because oh my is it special.
My idea is this - big beer case* swap. Because they take 6-12 months to hit their stride it's hard to get too much variety on the shelf without a huge rotation of bottles. I recently bottled an 8.7% Old Ale that will be good, I'm guessing, for Christmas. I'm willing to part with half the batch if other local all grain brewers are keen on the idea. Basic rules are -
1. Nothing under 7%
2. All propose what we brew so we all do something different.
3. All grain. Adjuncts and such are allowed.
4. 330ml bottles, standard Aussie issue. 1 or two bottles each to swap, depending on numbers.
5. Must judge what you drink and post in this thread and the FB page if you choose
6. Pride is at stake. The only prize is in the beer itself.
So who's willing to take part? If so either commit some current stock or hurry up and get brewing. Swap location to be formally confirmed. We could even do a swap day or similar and put names to faces, I'm flexible.

My beer -

Old Ale, going into bottles.
10.5l, OG 1.079, 55 IBU. 8.7% including bottle priming.
2.220 kg pale
1.000 kg Munich I
0.155 kg dark crystal
0.055 kg chocolate
0.285 kg raw sugaz

45g Goldings @60, 55g at flameout.

Did a single infusion at 68°C with mash out. Managed to high OG EXACTLY and ended up with 10l, so pretty happy. Bit under 70% eff, all good.
Started some very out of date 1275 (or Stu's Yeast as it's known these days), chewed through it in about 5 days.
FG 1.014 right on the button. Bottled with 50g of sugar so 8.7%, booya.

Even though we missed the boat I'm going to reinvigorate this to see if we can actually get some attendees this time. Is anyone local on here and keen? At present I've got two beers bottled and ready (RIS, Old Ale as per above) and I've also got a vanilla bourbon stout which is fermenting. It should be ready for Christmas.

Come on softies. I'll even waive the AG prerequisite if it gets people involved.

Latest posts

Back