Choosing A Gas Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm upgrading my burner set up and have to make a choice between a Nasa or Italian spiral.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers Brett :party:

I don't have a burner and I'm choosing between the both of them myself... Really, I think I'm going to check out which are available locally, think about how versatile each are (in case I want to do 10gal batches in the future) - and then it will come down to price I'm sure...

The fella at beerbelly reckons the spiral is the way to go but so many people seem to big raps for the nasa. I think it might be a case of the more info I get the more confused I'll end up

Italian, Italian, Italian.... :beer:

Quiet, powerful, capable of big brews.

I did a lot of research of the experiences of others before buying mine. I had a 4-ring burner and returned it.

Nasa burners are great, but LOUD. I like to hear my music on brew day (which is also loud).

Cheers

Italian, Italian, Italian.... :beer:

Quiet, powerful, capable of big brews.

I did a lot of research of the experiences of others before buying mine. I had a 4-ring burner and returned it.

Nasa burners are great, but LOUD. I like to hear my music on brew day (which is also loud).

Cheers

What sort of reg did you have with that trev? hi med low pressure :party:

"Medium" pressure. The red one from Beerbelly(which is a great retailer to deal with).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to go with the adjustable regulator - the guy from beerbelly said they go hand in hand with the italian - which is also what I want (want to use it with a wok as well)

"Medium" pressure. The red one from Beerbelly(which is a great retailer to deal with).

I had a look at the link and at first glance, thought it was the space shuttle taking off, I think I've been brewing with a candle far tooo long

Last edited by a moderator:
+ 1 for the Italian Spiral burner and Med Reg. One happy customer

How long do you reckon it would take these italian spirals to get a 50l keg(40l) to the boil

Not long at all! Depends how much gas you feel like using :) Gas cost is more important than time.

+17 for the italian spiral and adjustable reg,quite efficient and about 6-8 one hour brews per 9kg bottle. :D

Once a rolling boil,very rarely need more then a 1 setting,depending on volume of course.I am always boiling 40-60lts

Ooh! I understand smaller flame = less gas = more brew sampling time. Perfect!

Im also voting for the Italian spiral burner, thats the one Im using too.

My Italian has a power of 9.6KW, thats far enough to boil a 60 liter batch.

Im using also another mighty burner, one that consumes 12.6KW, but I gotta say, the more gas you are blowing in, the more gas youre losing into the environments. There is only a limited heat capacity, depends on the surface of the pot, you may get into the liqid. In another words, it doesnt really matters wether Im using the 9.6KW burner or the 12.6KW burner, the time it needs to get to the boil is almost the same, but with the bigger burner youll certainly lose more gas/energy.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Just getting gear together myself & went for a 4 ring burner.
Just putting it together, that is the 4 valves on the end. They have a round disc on each & I presume they cover the pipes going to the rings.
Trouble is they arent a good fitt & gas will not seal well at all.
Has any one encounted this problem
Do you have to seal them with some sort of putty?
Sorry about getting of the topic a bit but help needed cheers.

Just putting it together, that is the 4 valves on the end. They have a round disc on each & I presume they cover the pipes going to the rings.

The rings are as wide open as they can be on my 4 ring burner and works a treat.
Also using a med adjustable regulator too.

rude, dont worry about the discs not lining up. the gap between the rings and the burners are air intake areas, neat gas from your gas bottle needs a mix of air to work sufficiently, otherwise u will just get yellow sooty flames. you also need air around the flames to get a decent burn. when you have your pot on it you are looking for small blue flames with a feather of lighter blue on the outside. if that makes any sense.
im not sure i do cos ive been up since 530am crushing grain!

Lobo

They should screw out/in. You will have to adjust to get nice blue efficient flame. Dont seal them under any circumstances, they are there for this reason.

I have a Italian spiral and medium reg and boils 50 litres in 10-15 mins.

Remember to also not let the flames "lick" the side of the pot, this is not good for the pot as the sides are thin compared to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back