Chocolate Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koikaze

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm really in the mood for a stout! Too late now but (damn work finishing so late!). I want to try a chocolate stout, but where can i sample one? Is there any commercial chocolate stouts that are relitivly easy to get my hands on? If no one has any idea's I'll have to go into bannockburn cellars and hope they have something of intrest then loose an arm and a leg there :p

Have seen Young's Double Chocolate Stout around at a few places... First Choice and Dan Murphy's spring to mind... Look for the 500ml bottle with the purple label... An awesome dessert beer!

Cheers

The only one I've seen was Youngs Double Chocolate Stout and I think it was at Dam Nurphys. I haven't tried it but from memory a few people here thought it was quite nice.

A quick search (chocolate & beer on http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au/index.asp) found Redoak Belgian Chocolate Stout. I don't recall ever seeing this.

Had a Youngs Double Choc Stout last night. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. So chocolatey, definitely a desert beer.

The only one I've seen was Youngs Double Chocolate Stout and I think it was at Dam Nurphys. I haven't tried it but from memory a few people here thought it was quite nice.

A quick search (chocolate & beer on http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au/index.asp) found Redoak Belgian Chocolate Stout. I don't recall ever seeing this.
I'd avoid Redoaks choc stout if possible. Its not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but has nothing on Youngs Double Choc...which is a brew to be reckoned with!

I don't rate the Youngs. Sorry to those who love it, but it tasted to me like an uninspired stout with chocolate essence added. Would rather have a chunk of good dark chocolate while drinking a nice foreign export stout.

I don't rate the Youngs. Sorry to those who love it, but it tasted to me like an uninspired stout with chocolate essence added. Would rather have a chunk of good dark chocolate while drinking a nice foreign export stout.

Each to their own - thats why we brew (or at least why i do :D )

I have some dark choc to have a crack and this but planned on making it more stout like - ie roasty!

Have this pencilled in.....

4.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 79.44 %
0.40 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 7.48 %
0.25 kg Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (120.0 EBC) Grain 4.67 %
0.25 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 4.67 %
0.10 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 1.87 %
0.10 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 1.87 %
55.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 28.9 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
200.00 gm Dark chocolate 85% (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Prob need to up the black and RB a touch?

Yeah i'd have to agree with PostModern about Youngs.

Mmmm ok I'll try dan murphys. I'll give youngs a shot... going on a beer expidition. I'll get myself another stout too, a non dessert beer. lol

1st choice liquor have heaps of specialty beers. thats where I picked up my last batch of beers (hobgobblin, Youngs DCS, etc).

IMO YDCS is a little dissappointing. maybe becuase I read so much about how good it was I was expectiong more. It did have a nice smooth velvet choc flavour and not a bad body. The missus thought it had a nice finish (and she doesnt drink beer).

But I think it lacks something in the middle of the palate. between the choc grain and roast barley and the smooth choc (represented by 85% cocoa in secondary in the recipe), I think it needs something else to give it a bit more of a continuity. thoughts?

sorry for the hijack.

Each to their own - thats why we brew (or at least why i do :D )

I have some dark choc to have a crack and this but planned on making it more stout like - ie roasty!

Have this pencilled in.....

<snip>
200.00 gm Dark chocolate 85% (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Prob need to up the black and RB a touch?

Wont you end up with a lot of fat in the beer? :unsure:

I put real chocolate in a beer recently - didn't seem to make any difference to the head retention etc etc, but DID help to make it taste great. Only 100g for me though in 17L

damn dan murphys didn't have it, and the manager had never heard of it!!

oh well i settled for some other stouts.

you can now hijack away :p

(i'll make some comments on the choc in the stouts i just brought, but they are not called choc stouts... they just lable as a flavor prob from the choc grain rather than adding any cocca or anything)

Koikaze - if you make it up to Melb at any stage give us a yell and I'll point you at bottle'o's that do have the youngs - or better yet drop into G&G, they have it.

I quite like the dark chocolate taste from coopers extra best stout

Come up to my place I have a double Choc Porter on tap with 2 blocks of Lyndt 85% Cococa on tap that is so smooth and creamy and this big old Stout on tap to :

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5000.00 gm Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 76.34 %
500.00 gm Barley, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 7.63 %
400.00 gm Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 6.11 %
250.00 gm Crystal Malt - Dark (Thomas Fawcett) (350.0 EBC) Grain 3.82 %
200.00 gm Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 3.05 %
200.00 gm Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 EBC) Grain 3.05 %
75.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 35.3 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.05 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 35.3 IBU Calories: 0 cal/l
Est Color: 99.5 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 6550.00 gm
Sparge Water: 13.61 L Grain Temperature: 15.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 15.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 76.8 C 68.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 90.0 C 76.0 C

Don't think I've seen the Young's choc stout in Dan's, but Grain and Grape in Melb have it!

There's some good tips for brewing chocolate beers in Jamil and John Palmers book (brewing classic styles). I think theres a recipe for a choc porter, but havn't tried it yet.

Cheers

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.05 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %

SJW,

Did you just forget to measure your final gravity or are you on a diet & tossed in a dry enzyme? ;) :D
I see that you used quite a lot of Black Malt as well as the Flaked Barley. Can you please explain why?
Wouldn't the Black (400g) add an extra level of harshness to the Stout when I presume you are trying for something a little smoother? 400g of Black is a lot in my book.
Hope I am not being too critical here? Just trying find out how to add an extra something to my own recipe. Or am I missing something here?

TP :beer:

SJW,

Did you just forget to measure your final gravity or are you on a diet & tossed in a dry enzyme?
I see that you used quite a lot of Black Malt as well as the Flaked Barley. Can you please explain why?
Wouldn't the Black (400g) add an extra level of harshness to the Stout when I presume you are trying for something a little smoother? 400g of Black is a lot in my book.
Hope I am not being too critical here? Just trying find out how to add an extra something to my own recipe. Or am I missing something here?

TP

FG Was 1.016
No u have not missed anything. It started off an Oatmeal Stout, them I noticed I had 500g of FB in the fridge so I used that instead. And as for the Black Malt, I made a Dry Irish Stout a while ago that did not have enough black bite in it so I just increased it a bit. And I cant taste a lot of diff between Black Malt and Roast Barley so I just like to mix it up. This is my dry Irish that was a bit light on the Black. I do understand that the Dry Stout should have big black in it and the Oatmeal should be smooth but they all taste great to me. Also in my book it's not a stout unless the colour is over 100 EBC.

Dry Stout

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 32.05 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg Beer
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4000.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 74.91 %
500.00 gm Barley, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.36 %