Chocolate Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey all, am thinking about doing a choc porter and want some advice on what i've got so far...

Cascade Porter Can 1.7kg
1kg of Liquid Choc Malt
1kg Pale Malt Extract
200 grams Dark Chocloate
Fuggles Hops
Not sure on yeast, us-04 maybe?

What do y'all think?

Not sure about adding the chocolate, what's the best way to do it?

Cheers,

Hazz

The cascade is not a real choc porter. Its a pretty weak and bland brew. Nice colour but really not a killer drop. I'd go with a morgan's dark ale as a base.

Chuck the choc in the boil with your fermentables. You could also throw in some cocoa powder when racking or priming to choc it right up.

I do a London Choc Porter with a kits and bits and my mates love it.

The cascade is not a real choc porter. Its a pretty weak and bland brew. Nice colour but really not a killer drop. I'd go with a morgan's dark ale as a base.

Chuck the choc in the boil with your fermentables. You could also throw in some cocoa powder when racking or priming to choc it right up.

I do a London Choc Porter with a kits and bits and my mates love it.
please tell me more about this London Choc Porter bro as I am beginning to experiment a bit
:beer:

hey guys i,ve also got a cascade choc mahogany tin. have done 1 and it just been bottled can't wait. if use could give me mor einfo on thios london choc porter id be greatful.

How much cocoa should you add when priming?

I'm by no means an expert but I recently made a Thomas Coopers Irish stout to which I added fuggles hops, an esb smoked ale yeast, 200g lactose and 1 kg Cellarplus stout mix. I then added ground coffee and organic dutch cocoa.

The coffee and cocoa was experimental so it was more 'a couple of scoops of this and a dash of that' than any accurate measuring system but it turned out beautifully with a detectable hint of both without being overpowering. The cocoa contains no sugar as far as I'm aware so there's no need too worry about adding too much to the primary fermentation.

So cocoa added at priming stage will have no effect on carbonation? Anyone tried this?

So cocoa added at priming stage will have no effect on carbonation? Anyone tried this?

My guess is you'll get the flavour but you'll just have cocoa sitting at the bottom of the bottle. If you do it in primary it will sink to the bottom
of the fermenter and be easy to avoid during bottling.

As I said - my guess only so I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I too bought the cascade porter tin - but I was going to attempt wazza honey porter from it

1 can of Cascade Mahogany Porter
1 KG of Dark dry malt
500gm of Yellowbox honey
15gm of Cascade hops

I believe it the yeast is Safale S04

MAUOMBO
P.S. this will be my first brew... any idea of how much and what sugar to bulk prime with for bottling?

I too bought the cascade porter tin - but I was going to attempt wazza honey porter from it

1 can of Cascade Mahogany Porter
1 KG of Dark dry malt
500gm of Yellowbox honey
15gm of Cascade hops

I believe it the yeast is Safale S04

MAUOMBO
P.S. this will be my first brew... any idea of how much and what sugar to bulk prime with for bottling?

Very nice beer too, was the last kit beer I made, mmmm.
You would be better off using a bulk prime calculator to work out how much do prime with, I use Beersmith but a good web based one is located here.

Just fill in the details of your brew and what you want and it will give you the amount. :)
In case your not sure about the CO2 volumes, 2.4 is a "all rounder" type amount to use, porter is normally lighter on the carb levels but it's up to your taste.

thanks! looks like about 150grams of dextrose

much appreciated

MAUOMBO

My wife's going through a white chocolate phase at the moment.
Had a bit the other night and it got me thinking what white chocolate would taste like in a porter.... I'm assuming it would impart a small hit of vanilla.
Anyway I reckon this idea will be on the cards pretty soon.

Coopers Dark Ale
1kg DME
200g white choc (boiled in with the K&K)
15g Willamette
WY-1099 whitbread yeast

My wife's going through a white chocolate phase at the moment.
Had a bit the other night and it got me thinking what white chocolate would taste like in a porter.... I'm assuming it would impart a small hit of vanilla.
Anyway I reckon this idea will be on the cards pretty soon.

Coopers Dark Ale
1kg DME
200g white choc (boiled in with the K&K)
15g Willamette
WY-1099 whitbread yeast

I'd be really interested to hear how that turns out! Cool idea, sounds delicious.

I thought white "choc" was just sugar and milk - no choc at all

MAUOMBO

Wikipedia says: "White chocolate is formed from a mixture of sugar, cocoa butter, and milk solids. Although its texture is similar to milk and dark chocolate, it does not contain any cocoa solids.."

What do you think this would mean in terms of a brew?
Maybe more in the lines of a milk stout, rather than a chocolate stout. But I'm just guessing.
I'm still keen to try though.

when your white choc porter is ready i'd like to hear about it to. cheers start a new topic or something

Latest posts

Back