Chocolate In Porters And Stouts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about many times but I was hoping to condense all the facts down on this thread.
So, what is the best way to add choc flavours to a Porter or Stout?
Suggestions have been Lindt 85% Cocoa Chocolate, Cocoa Powder and Chocolate Essence. I would have thought that the Cocoa Powder would be better than the Lindt Choc as it would not contain the fat and other junk required to make it a solid block.
As I am planning on doing Barrys Porter as soon as I get my hands on some East Kent Goldings I would like to add some extra choc flavours into it.
So what has your experience been?

Steve

Just use lots of Baird's Pale Choc malt. Gives you all the chocolate flavours you need. :beerbang:

Warren -

yeah, choc malt is intense! i usually only add around 1% to beef up the background flavours. Much more than that makes a chocolate beer.

Oh man, looks like my Cascade Chocolate Mohogany Honey Porter is going to be pretty chocked then! Cascade Choc Mohogany Porter can, plus 1kg Morgans Liquid Choc Malt and 500g Capillano Yellow Box honey...with 20g Cascade steeped for 5 to 8 minutes for flavours and aromas.

Can't wait....

yeah, choc malt is intense! i usually only add around 1% to beef up the background flavours. Much more than that makes a chocolate beer.

Sorry Tangent, I meant Pale Choc (Baird's). It's smoother than regular choc. Pretty easy to push up to around 5% and still get some really nicely rounded chocolate tones. :beerbang:

Warren -

i'm not sure on the specs of the choc malt that i got from Ross, but it's dark and VERY chocolatey.

Wouldn't mind trying the pale version. Sounds good.

I just checked out the BN and the new style show is on specialty beers, including a recipe for Black Forest Stout (Cherry and Chocolate stout). I will listen to it this arvo but sounds like it will be of interest to you.

I guess I was more interested in the results of adding Cocoa or Lindt. If anyone has used Lindt was there any effects on head retention due the fat in the chocolate?

A good read is 'Brewing an Award Winning Chocolate Porter' by Gregg van Citters (Maltose Falcons). Google 'brewing chocolate porter' and you'll find it. Excellent info there. He reccommends adding the chocolate to secondary.

Just to wrap this one up, I ended up using 50g of Cocoa Powder in my Porter and it came out great. Hard to tell if it was the Cococa though as there was a lot of other good stuff in it too!

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (IMC) (3.9 EBC) Grain 72.46 %
0.60 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 7.25 %
0.40 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 5.80 %
0.30 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 4.35 %
0.10 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 1.45 %
15.00 gm Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
35.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
50.00 gm Cocoa Powder (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs US-56 (DCL) Yeast-Ale