Chinook Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourite APA is predominantly Chinook with a dash of NB for flavour and Cascade at flameout. Sure it takes 3-4 weeks to lose its greeness, but IMO, Chinook is an excellent hop for APA's.

If you want to try something different, make a stout and bitter it with Chinook - it's quite nice and not unlike Sierra Nevada Stout...

Cheers,
TL

I have my "Chopper Ale" kegged now and we're drinking it. There is not a predominant Grapefruit flavour, it's definitely there but not overpowering.

I stated earlier, I made this ale with the idea of having the IBU's running at about the high thirties and I find the beer quite pleasant BUT the head retention is a bit disappointing. I normally have really good head retention but this ale has let me down. I don't know if I can point a finger at the hops or not but when you have a problem, it's makes you feel better if you can blame something or someone!! :rolleyes:

I'm sampling the first of a brown ale made only with Chinook.

I'm not too sure 'exactly' how much I used, but I wish I'd used more.
Flavours on mine have been dried apricot.

A while ago I did a simple APA with all chinook. Only bittered to 30IBU and I still remember the grapefruit flavours.
Have done this same brew with all POR and all Cascade as well and probably a toss up b/n the chinook and cascade versions.

Was planning an all chinook brew tommorow but now i have cold feet.
Planning a pale ale, probably 50/50 chinook/n brewer at 60.
Anyone else gone big with chinook in their brew?

I've used homegrown (not by me) flowers in a 100% something orother - I think a partial us brown years ago..

I use it a bit combined with hops like cascade. Very pine/resin to my palate. I like it but I refer it with some sweet malt and fruit to balance.

Fellas, I've got 90 gms each of Chinook and caacade pellets to go in a 23l batch -
5kg pale malt bb
1kg Munich I
200 gm crystal
50 gm chocolate
Mash @ 67 for 90 min.

30g Chinook @ 20 min 23.4 ibus
20g Chinook @ 15 12.8 ibu
15g cascade @ 15 4.1 ibu
20g Chinook @ 10 9.3 ibu
15g cascade @ 10 3 ibu
25g Chinook @ 0
20g cascade @ 0

Og 1054
Fg 1010
Ibu 54
Ibu/sg ratio 0.977
Eff 65%
Safale us 05.

Could get 67-68% eff, but.not certain.

How do you reckon she'll go?

Should say, I love tower ipa, not ready for higher hrav brewing, but wanna hit something toward in IPA. That's the inspiration though.

Chinook late alone will be your worst decision yet.

Try it, sure, live by experience,

Straight chinook - NO.

It is a bittering hop for a reason.

Blend it.

Just sayin.

Like Manticle, I like Chinook with other hops, seems to me to add dimension and balance fruity hops but (like Simcoe) too much can dominate, it can give a real resinous pine that requires friends... Love the hop bit in moderation, I've recently brewed with it for summer stocks and am looking forward to it..

Thank you, cocko, trying to find a tower ipa recipe is murder.

Anyone suggest how to proceed?

Pickaxe, absolutely shooting from the hip...

I would go Chinook at 15 or 10.. then atleast, equal amounts of Chinook + Cascade at 5 and 0...

Main thought - dry with HEAPS of Cascade, maybe 2.5 - 3 G/L for dry.

Just blind shooting.

Pickaxe, have you looked at the LCPA clone (old version) on here somewhere. It's similar malt and hop bill minus the chocolate, equal parts cascade and chinook and using east kent to bitter. Lots of good revuewa

Just find lcpa lacks the punch. Maybe more of a 60 min add Chinook side and more cascade focus flavor side will get the balance?

So from what people are saying , be wary of Chinook late yeah? I know its bigger than simcoe, but I love pine, but I know is not a session beer.
I love simcoe, but only know it with others. Pine.and me are good..

I'll rejig the recipe.

Latest posts

Back