Chinook Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay Dive

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone tried a 100% Chinook bittered and flavoured Ale.

I am doing one at the moment and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of the flavour profile.

I'm using 12.4 AA for a 50 litre brew

32 grams @ 60 mins
40 grams @ 10 mins
40 grams @ 5 mins

works out at about 38 IBU's

waddayareckon??

Regards,
Lindsay.

... an idea of the flavour profile.

Grapefruit! I've just made an extract APA bittered with Goldings, with later additions of Cascade and Chinook (less of the latter.) It started off being surprisingly similar to grapefruit juice. A few weeks later it has mellowed out quite a lot. I've also just made an AG with a similar hop profile, and the Chinook is nowhere near as overpowering in this brew.

Cheers,

Jon

I reckon go for it. I love Chinook and it's such a dominant hop I reckon that it makes no difference whether you use 100% or 30% :lol:

If anything, I would cut back the flavouring addition a little and add it at flameout.

I may add some extra after flameout. I want the beer to finish around the 38 IBU's so I'll leave the additions as they are.

I've just added the first addition of hops.

As Jon said, grapefruit. I did an all Chinook APA a while ago. A bit rough, but enjoyable none the less. I think your hopping schedule looks good. Not sure you'll need any dry hops, but of course you can taste it before you decide on that. What's the grain bill/yeast?

Grain bill is quite simple,

4 kilos Wyermann Pilsner Malt
4.4 kilos Bairds Maris Otter
.5 kilo Cara Pils
.2 kilo 140 Crystal
.04 kilo Chocolate Malt

And I'm cheating today and using Safale S-04 that is left over from another brew.

doing something similar myself at the moment.
26g @ 60min
20g @ 40min
20g @ 5min
20L for about 70IBU.

cant wait to taste it but the pellets did smell damn nice. of course i think all pellets smell nice :rolleyes:
hope to have it ready to drink around new years. i'll post back after a sample.

That works out at about 75 IBU's.....mate, that will make your tongue curl up :eek:

I believe 'distinctive' would be a nice word to use with chinook hops.

Tried 20G @ 5min on an light bodied average bitterness 'Aussie Ale' a few months back as it was about all I had in the fridge when misguided inspiration took me.
Its beginning to mellow now but I don't think ill be using Chinook as a late addition hop in a pale beer again :huh:

I believe 'distinctive' would be a nice word to use with chinook hops.

Tried 20G @ 5min on an light bodied average bitterness 'Aussie Ale' a few months back as it was about all I had in the fridge when misguided inspiration took me.
Its beginning to mellow now but I don't think ill be using Chinook as a late addition hop in a pale beer again :huh:

Yes I agree, Chinook is a hop that you either love or hate.
I bittered an apa with it once - never again.
:icon_vomit:

Only my opinion B)

Cheers

For me its a late hop only, the beers I have used it for bittering in have all been pretty harsh :( a nice flame-out hop in an ipa but :)

Have used Chinook to great effect in a hopburst.

Will be doing another this week if SWMBO leaves the house long enough for me to get the mashtun full and to temperature. :ph34r:

All done. Completed two brews today, both the same. Second brew is chilling whilst I type. Decided not to add any hops at flame out.

Should be interesting!! Grapefruit here we come :party:

Regards and thanks,
Lindsay.

All done. Completed two brews today, both the same. Second brew is chilling whilst I type. Decided not to add any hops at flame out.

Should be interesting!! Grapefruit here we come :party:

Regards and thanks,
Lindsay.

Lindsay...it will be grapefruit for about a month then it should settle to a very quaffable beverage. Happened with me not too long ago. Did a chinook, cascade APA. I keg so they dont last a couple of weeks before they are empty - it was only just drinkable due to the grapefruit. This one batch I bottled four pet bottles and tasted them after a month. It was like chalk n cheese compared to the green kegged stuff beautifully balanced n mellow.
Cheers
Steve

yeah, I know I'm late with this feedback, but I'd like to mention that I've made a few Arrogant ******* clones that use all Chinook, and weigh in at about 70 IBUs. 45 IBU (90 min) + 22 IBU (30 min) and 0.8g/litre at flameout

With a whole whack (and I do mean "whack") of Chinook flavour and aroma, it's definitely not for the timid.

The flavour is one that I didn't enjoy initially, but came to really appreciate. The fruitiness is very OTT, which is prob why Stone use them for the Arrogant ale.

I'm sure you'll enjoy them Lindsay...just maybe not from the outset, unless you are already acclimated to them. They'll certainly stop the neighbours from stealing your beer :lol:

Beerz
Les :p

Maybe I'll try some at a later date with some WLP300 and go the whole Banana and Grapefruit deal........fruit salad beer :icon_cheers:

I like Chinook, and have used them for some bittering, and to dry hop LCPA and SNPA type clones. However, I prefer them in combination with Cascade.
If you are using all Chinook, you'd better learn to love an over the top hop beer.

i used 25g of chinhook for bittering (23L batch) in my first ever batch of all grain, that mixed with low efficiency
and i struggled through each and every bottle to teach myself a lesson and swore of chinhook for ever!

almost a year later now and i added a bit late to the mix in a hopburst and it came out a treat (1st place State Comp)

i've now found myself craving the flavour some so my latest batch in primary has 10g for bittering,
tho it is prominent in smell and taste from the hydro samples i have been taking during the week
i just know it is going to come out a tasty beer!

Good Luck Rob.

ok, just had a quick taste after two days in the keg.
yeah, its bitter all right. comes in late and strong. seems like its almost in the after taste so we'll see how it changes over time. couldnt pick up much grapefruit, but that might change as the carb picks up (still a little flat). will know more in a week or so. cheers

Latest posts

Back