Chinook Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cocko said:
Try it.

Do what you think is what you want Pickaxe, Obviously.

Report back with your opinion.

God speed.
That sounds like a warning if ever I've heard one. I'll research, and get back to ya.

What I don't.understand is I love pine, I love resin, I love that rich tang, but I'm not sure how to replicate it. Is like a beer acid drop (for my brethren that remember acid drop lollies).
That balance between. Undrinkable and super tang..

Research to be done.

I use homegrown chinook all the time by itself and have been heavy handed with late additions. I've done a 10 min IPA with them requiring ~10g/L at 10 mins. Loved it.

My current stout on tap has a big late addition of chinook. Loving it.

As Cocko has suggested, give it a go for yourself and see what you think.

Sorry Cocko, after reading again, I get where you're coming from. So I'm gonna go with this next brew. Maybe a bit more sweetness will help balance things up. About 0.966 IBU/SG

5kg pale malt bb
1kg Munich I
300 gm crystal
100g Dex

Mash @ 67 for 90 min.

30g Chinook @ 20 min 23.4 ibus
20g Chinook @ 15 12.8 ibu
20g cascade @ 15 4.1 ibu
20g Chinook @ 10 9.3 ibu
25g cascade @ 0

OG 1056
FG 1012
ABV 6.4 with bottling

Well for WIW my 50/50 brew @ 60 min came out really well, mostly galaxy malt at 1010fg - 4%alc.
This is a brew again summer session ale, nice crisp citrusy, just a hint of citrus pith(not unpleasant) which I
imagine would be more prominent if going over 50/50. However I am tempted to go 70/30.. or chuck in more late.
Maybe a bit of both. I have trouble brewing the exact same recipe twice. :D

Holgate roadtrip, boatrocker hop bomb and brewdog punk ipa all have chinook.
All great beers.

Yob said:
Ooh ooh!! Still havnt had the hop bomb... Where'd you pick one Up?
Purvis, slowbeer or grape and grain in moorabbin.

There smash is very smash-able easy drinking.

I use Chinook and Galaxy in my house apa to around 70 IBU with Chinook being the buttering hop. I love it and try to have a keg of it on tap or ready to go. Seems to be a great hop to blend with as Yob said.

Latest posts

Back