• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Chinook And Mt Hood Hops Rhizomes For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
trimmed mine up yesterday
i ended up with 1 chinook and about a 11 mt hoods. Nothing off the wurtenburger this year.
ill go 20 for the normal size and 30 for the large ones ie Mt. hoods plus postage. Heres a pic of them wit a ruler for approximate size. most will fit in a 3kg bag with the exception of the really big mt hood. ill do a discount for multiple ones.
chinook
18012008159.jpg

mt hoods
18012008162.jpg

18012008163.jpg

18012008165.jpg

18012008166.jpg

also no bitching about the price in my thread as per last year, ill take the whole lot and put them on bay if thats the case.
saying that i did not have a bad piece of feed back from last year with most putting a decent crop up. here is last years thread to look for some feed back http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=33746
cheers barls

both chinooks are spoken for.

pm back and one of the large ones is gone.
any other takers

will also post to wa

Hi Barls,

Not trying to be rude, and I'm by no means an expert, but I reckon I've read more than 100 forum comments that variously state that rhizomes can't be sent to WA due to the quarantine laws? :unsure:

I know it is possible to send to WA (legally) but its a lot of paperwork - generally only the big commercial plant distributors do it - and they normally charge a premium to cover the additional costs.

How are you getting around this? - I wouldn't imagine it would be worth your time for a couple of rhizomes? and the prospective buyer wouldn't appreciate the $$$ fine either :angry:

If you do have a legit way of sending to WA there would be heaps of people on here keen to know about it?

I don't think the recipient gets the fine. I can't be 100% sure but i think the retailer/sender has to do all the paperwork AND gets the fine if something is amiss, not the customer.

Saying that though the paperwork is possible to do but it is a lengthy process that most plant retailers don't bother with.

after many emails back and forth with wa quarantine, they sent me the forms that i need to attach with the ones i send over. also so long as they are free of dirt and a couple of other things its fine.
as ive said on other forums its also best to go straight to the source for the info. also most govt departments prefer if your honest about what you want to do when you talk to them. i told them id be sending 12 at the most a year over that way and they were happy.

after many emails back and forth with wa quarantine, they sent me the forms that i need to attach with the ones i send over. also so long as they are free of dirt and a couple of other things its fine.
as ive said on other forums its also best to go straight to the source for the info. also most govt departments prefer if your honest about what you want to do when you talk to them. i told them id be sending 12 at the most a year over that way and they were happy.

Sounds like a pretty good result! I'd say
:icon_cheers:

I think you'll all discover it is a little more complicated and why I won't risk sending rhizomes across the nullarbor. Sure they might get there but if they are intercepted by WA quarantine then you risk a fine substantially larger than a speeding fine. They do scan postal items and open suspicious items so is it worth risking several thousand to make $20.

Barls is partly correct but it's not the entire story unless the WA govt has loosened laws, which i strongly doubt. If anything, they would look to tighten the laws as quarantine and biosecurity become increasingly important. There are lots of pests and diseases that WA does not have, which occur in eastern parts of Australia. As a result, they have strict plant quarantine legislation.

The rules for rhizomes to enter WA, at least a year or 2 ago were 3 different insecticide/fungicide treatments of soil free rhizomes and this has to be accompanied by a plant health certificate. So to send rhizomes, you need to purchase the pesticides, ring up your local ag dept and get a regulatory officer to come out and watch you treat the rhizomes and issue the plant health certificate. A rough base cost would be in the hundreds of dollars just for the insecticides and certificate.

Hope this information saves someone a hefty fine and keeps the fine state of WA free of some important pests and diseases.

Cheerio
Lochy

hence why ive kept all of the emails and communication records so if i do get a fine. i can say but i followed all of your rules.
i also work for the govt and its not worth me loosing y security clearance if this was even slightly dodgy.
all i know is all the ones ive sent have made it there in one piece and in good condition including one to hops west last year.

still have a few left if anyones interested

Hey barls she arrived today, thanks for the fast shipping!

Cheers for that barls, Im sure I can find a use for it :drinks:

right need to move these so how about 12 for the normals and 20 for the large.
any takers???

Back