Chilling in Summer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cervantes

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager today. It was well over 30 degrees in the back yard and the tap water was up around 25 degrees.

I used my immersion chiller and a pond pump in a bucket of water with frozen water bottles in, but just couldn't get my beer down below about 30 degrees.

I gave up in the end and have stuck it in the fermenting fridge. Hopefully it will be down to 10 tomorrow morning and I'll be able to throw the yeast at it.

So the point of the post?

Does anyone have any good tricks for chilling beer with warm tap water?

And before you mention it............ I "No Chilled" the last batch and wasn't entirely happy with the IBU control. So wanted to stick with what I normally do for this one.

Thanks in advance.

I chill in summer with my standard tap water until I get the wort to around 30 deg.

During the summer I store 2 x twenty litre cubes in the fridge the night before brewing and I use this 40 litres in a 60 litre fermenter with a submersible pump.
I add a bag of crushed ice or a some large ice blocks that I make in those containers that chinese takeaway comes in, to the chilled water and can commonly get the wort to around 9 or 10 deg if I need to.

I use a s/steel immersion chiller in my Speidel 20 litre and run the pump for wort movement during the cooling operation.

I also agree with you that for no chill you HAVE TO adjust your hop additions to suit the process.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back