Chilling a 'NO CHILL' cube - WOW

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lager Bloke said:
Hello,was advised by HBS that as soon as cubed,into swimming pool to cool down(no wort chiller/heat exchanger)the reasoning behind this was to stop hop oils being lost to excess heat
Just what I was told,made sense to me,Rob
Does make sense.

You can also let it drop to 80 to 85 deg. This will keep more of the aroma... You can still drop it in the pool, but let it sit for a bit on its side to ensure hot contact with all surfaces.

Good ideas,thanks men.I'll see how this works + down the track might try let sit to 80c then pool.Thanks,Rob.

Topher said:
Messy if the cube fails though. Imagine explaining the the wife and kids why the pool has gone brown and you cannot swim.
Id be more worried about the 5 hours id just wasted on brewing beer

GalBrew said:
The fact that this is nothing new aside, why put it in the pool of you are going to store the cube and not pitch?
I was thinking the same thing. It makes sense regarding hop additions and if pitching yeast that day, but not for sanitary purposes.

Lager Bloke, the whole idea behind no-chilling cubes is that the wort goes in near boiling and then the cube is simply stored at room temp and left to cool down by itself over a longer period to minimise the chances of it getting infected. The hop additions can be adjusted to account for this longer time at hot temperatures if need be, but it's something you have to work out for yourself by experimenting. Throwing it in the pool straight away takes away this time spent at high temps and to my mind defeats the whole purpose of no-chilling in the first place. If you're pitching yeast that day, not such an issue, but if you're planning to store the cube for a period of time you're better off simply filling it and storing it.

Lecterfan said:
I can't edit my post above - I swore I put the link in, but apparently not. The comment is a touch more arrogant than it is meant to be haha:

I used google search function and typed in 'no chill cube pool'

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/60656-no-chill-some-chill/
hahahaha mate I copped the slap fair and square. I did run a search but came up empty handed as I know how much it pisses everyone off when new and wasted posts are re created. Thanks a lot for this.

And thanks to the others who provided input - I feel as though this should improve my hop flavour and reduce the guilt on wasted water for chilling.

Cheers!

Lager Bloke said:
Good ideas,thanks men.I'll see how this works + down the track might try let sit to 80c then pool.Thanks,Rob.
Hey Lager bloke. Mate I would think that this practice would be a waste of time ie letting sit to 80 and then into the pool. By the time its sat for a couple of hours and dropped to 80 I think (only what I have read I am no expert) that you lose a lot of your hop flavors - in laymans terms the hop flavor is cooked out of it. You might as well just let it sit overnight if youve dropped it to 80 UNLESS you want to get onto fermentation stage faster.

I left mine sit for an hour but after reading this post I created here Ill make that perhaps 20 mins next time.

bear09 said:
Hey Lager bloke. Mate I would think that this practice would be a waste of time ie letting sit to 80 and then into the pool. By the time its sat for a couple of hours and dropped to 80 I think (only what I have read I am no expert) that you lose a lot of your hop flavors - in laymans terms the hop flavor is cooked out of it. You might as well just let it sit overnight if youve dropped it to 80 UNLESS you want to get onto fermentation stage faster.

I left mine sit for an hour but after reading this post I created here Ill make that perhaps 20 mins next time.
The mentioned practice is for cube hopping... Let it drop to 80 in kettle, add hops to cube and THEN fill cube.

Agree - if you are not cube hopping, there is no point in letting the kettle temp drop.

Works okay for single batches, but triples take a fecking long time to drop that much w/o a chiller.

When cube hopping previously, i put the hops in the cube and run the wort straight in as soon as the whirlpool is done, usually at 90-95 or so. I put these in brewmate as zero minute additions tick no-chill and get the associated IBU and all is well. But now im thinking ive been missing the concept of cube hopping...? I'm guessing if you run the wort into the cube at 80deg you wouldnt be adding much (if any) bitterness with the cube additions?

Back