Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very quiet on this thread - when are things going to heat up again????

My overwintered plants are all going great guns. Now on their third season they should fire big time. All 7 Pods, Bhuts and DT's are already about to flower. My new ones orange habs are second season and growing from overwintering well. Going to be a bumper season.

Can't wait! :)

Some of my chillies survived winter, so now time to re-pot them with new potting mix

Found that the big green shed sell sheep poo for about $6/20ltr bag. Its great stuff when mixed with cheap potting mix :)

Found that the big green shed sell sheep poo for about $6/20ltr bag. Its great stuff when mixed with cheap potting mix :)

The big green shed is Bunnings? I never knew that and am there at least two times a week!

I've got some chilli seedlings at work, and all my other plants survived the mild QLD winter - they suffered more in the floods earlier in the year!

My greenhouse is set up, ready to start the assault on the senses. Guys - got pics of your chilli gardens?

All of my chili plants are looking very sick. Hopefully now that the weather is warming up they'll start regaining their leaves.

This reminded me i have been planning to grow some Ancho (poblano) along with some guajillo and pasilla. Hopefully the seeds from dried chillis imported from mexico will germinate.

Anyone had any experience with this? From what ive read the ancho, guajillo and pasilla are air dried.

This reminded me i have been planning to grow some Ancho (poblano) along with some guajillo and pasilla. Hopefully the seeds from dried chillis imported from mexico will germinate.

Anyone had any experience with this? From what ive read the ancho, guajillo and pasilla are air dried.

If you don't have any luck from the dried chilli's you could always buy some seeds from here: http://www.fireworksfoods.com.au/index.php...5&Itemid=53

My father in law has about a dozen chilli plants that have gone mental- all loaded with little red chilli's- think they're birdseyes from the size-fil wasn't home when we were there and saw them.

Going to see if I can get some to make some chilli & garlic oil- it is ridiculously good for basting a steak in on the bbq! I'm going to see if I can germinate some too so I have my own plants.

Hey BK- thanks for the link- they've got some great ones - I think I'll start buying some!

Does anyone know what these are?

IMG_0382.jpg

They are frost hardy. I live where it often gets to zero C or less in the winter. The plant is now 4 years old and still going strong.

They have black seeds and taste like a hot capsicum. They differ in size as a crop. One crop may be golf ball size the next may be 3 times larger.

most of mine are still alive..... a couple losses but the mother of all evil 7 Pod is still kicking. its going on 4 years old now

Gunna cut them bact tomorrow and do a bit of repotting with some fresh soil and food....... but.........

bloody fruit flies :angry: they are already around.

I am going to have to come up with a final solution i think!

View attachment 47993

They are frost hardy. I live where it often gets to zero C or less in the winter. The plant is now 4 years old and still going strong.

They have black seeds and taste like a hot capsicum. They differ in size as a crop. One crop may be golf ball size the next may be 3 times larger.

Dont know, but would love some seeds from it :icon_cheers:

most of mine are still alive..... a couple losses but the mother of all evil 7 Pod is still kicking. its going on 4 years old now

Gunna cut them bact tomorrow and do a bit of repotting with some fresh soil and food....... but.........

bloody fruit flies :angry: they are already around.

I am going to have to come up with a final solution i think!

Mate I have seen them up here on the Gold Coast already in my back yard. The only way to deal with them is to use those pheromone traps and the paste baits as a back up killer around the garden also. I wish there was a final solution to these!

Mate I have seen them up here on the Gold Coast already in my back yard. The only way to deal with them is to use those pheromone traps and the paste baits as a back up killer around the garden also. I wish there was a final solution to these!

Get those big plastic bags they use for lounges at Fantastic Furniture and hood them over the plant. Make it a perfect greenhouse and keeps the moisture in.

Condoms for your crop!

View attachment 47993

i think my old man knows what they are as i got some black seeds from a similar looking chilli off him. but im buggered if i cant think of what they are. will get back to you. mine were pretty hot though. hotter than a hot capsicum.

Hmm hope to have some pics soon. Just planted out 15 ghost chillis and 15 trinidad scorpion chillis to the greenhouse in jiffypots. Soon as they come good, into the garden they go. Then, soon enough, firehole chilli choc stout. Picked them up from the chilliseedbank.com.au they have some downright insane offerings.

I got some Naga Jolokia and Trinidad Scorpion chillies off The Chilli Factory when they were here for the Sawtell Chilli Festival earlier this year
plan on planting them soon to make some hot as fark chilli sauce

View attachment 47993

Hey Peels,

It's been a while. Those are Rocoto chili's they are actually a perennial tree and very cold resistant, perfect for melbourne.

Capsicum pubescens - the only chili with black seeds, purple flowers and a hairy stalk/branches. AFAIK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens.

Can anyone sort me out with some bhut jolokia seeds, and or ancho seeds.

Cheers,
Q

I tried germinating some seeds from a few anchos without any success, they were pretty old though.

One of my two birdseye plants died this year, and the other is looking like it's going the same way. Not happy.

Birdseyes are feral round my neck of the woods, Felten. Spread by birds. Funny that. Got plenty if you want some.

Regards

I'll jump into this thread I guess!

Just bought some Trinidad scorpion seedlings, was growing habanero's last year (till the dog decided it didnt like the plant...), and have been buying bhut jolokia's off people i know at $20 per shopping bag full. Time to step up and get myself a decent set of plants!

Hoping things progress quickly enough with them, nothing like using many a ridiculous chilli for a vindaloo! (am yet to do a chilli beer, wondering if its worth trying hah)

Latest posts

Back