Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problems Cubo :icon_cheers:
I gave them a good hit up a couple of hours ago, Bribie Island is a sand island and deficient in a lot of essential minerals like Plutonium and Unobtanium, so plants can easily get starved of essentials.

my friggin chillies wont grow. ive managed to get 3 pathetic little sprouts come up from about 12 seeds and 2 of those have died. im not a happy man,

I'm in the saem boat as you cm2.
I planted about 10 jalapeno seeds of which 4 germinated, 2 of which died, and 2 of which are still going, 1 about 10cm high and the other about 3cm high.
All the habaneros red & orange, and long reds havn't sprouted.
And the Bhut Jolokias and Dorset Nagas have only been in a week or so, so I'm hoping they still might pop up...
:(

I'm in the saem boat as you cm2.
I planted about 10 jalapeno seeds of which 4 germinated, 2 of which died, and 2 of which are still going, 1 about 10cm high and the other about 3cm high.
All the habaneros red & orange, and long reds havn't sprouted.
And the Bhut Jolokias and Dorset Nagas have only been in a week or so, so I'm hoping they still might pop up...
:(

Can you describe your system from setting the seeds down to growing the seedlings?

Can you describe your system from setting the seeds down to growing the seedlings?

Tried a couple.
1st - 6 jalapenos seeds straight into planter box and a bunch of red habanero seeds straight into a pot. Seeds buried about 1/2cm deep. This is where the 2 living jal's are still going.
2nd - 2L pepsi bottles cut in 2 to create a little greenhouse. This is where the Bhut's, Dorset's, Long Red's, more Habaneros and more Japapenos are. This is where the 2 of the other jal's germinated and subsequently died.
Location is at the front of the house which is north facing, so plenty of light, and sitting on top of a cement block retaining wall which retains warmth fairly well.

I planted seeds into small plant containers in seed raising mix (same as I do for all non-direct sow seeds). barely got any growth, transplanted into ground and they died. the remaining shoot ive done the 2L plastic bottle greenhouse thing

Where did you guys get your seeds? My dad and I have been trying to grow some too using various methods, but haven't had any luck. I got my seeds from http://www.fireworksfoods.com.au/
They have a great range, but I'm wondering if some of their seeds have been sitting on a shelf for too long perhaps.

Where did you guys get your seeds? My dad and I have been trying to grow some too using various methods, but haven't had any luck. I got my seeds from http://www.fireworksfoods.com.au/
They have a great range, but I'm wondering if some of their seeds have been sitting on a shelf for too long perhaps.

I got my Jalapenos from them, the Bhut Jolokias and Dorset Nagas I got off eBay, the Orange Habanero's are a few years old and I can't remember where I got them, the Red Habanero's I had saved from some I bought from Coles a couple of years ago and the Long Reds I took straight out of some fresh chillis I bought from my local Harris Farm.

On a brighter note I've had a few of the Long Reds germinate now too. (But still no Habs, Bhuts, or Dorsets) Oh, and I've got a random tomato plant growing in my front yard too. :)

I got my Jalapenos from them, the Bhut Jolokias and Dorset Nagas I got off eBay, the Orange Habanero's are a few years old and I can't remember where I got them, the Red Habanero's I had saved from some I bought from Coles a couple of years ago and the Long Reds I took straight out of some fresh chillis I bought from my local Harris Farm.

On a brighter note I've had a few of the Long Reds germinate now too. (But still no Habs, Bhuts, or Dorsets) Oh, and I've got a random tomato plant growing in my front yard too. :)

Ok, there goes that theory then. It looks like you've got seeds from all over the place.

Well my growing is half good half bad... My dog got into my jiffy pot for my trinidad scorpions, so none have sprouted...

But on the other hand, my bhut jolokias have had a 95% germination rate, and have been moved to larger pots (they took around 2 weeks to sprout). Which is surprising because they were from a chilli I found on my garage floor left over from my last batch. Hardy little plant I think.

Also picked up a habanero plant from bunnings when I was getting larger pots, see how it grows in comparison.

It's been cold down here lately so I put my jiffy pots on a controlled heating pad. Not sure if it helped but I've got 18/27 seeds sprouted so far.

Except for my anchos which have done nothing.

I know there a lot of pages on this thread but the details of where people get their seeds are in the thread. But since im in a good mood, try this place. Awsone range -
http://www.thehippyseedcompany.com/

fking leaf curl.

is this little guy salvageable? or should I cut my losses & pull it up?

I just bought 4 healthy looking different chilli plants from the markets and want to plant them in the same soil.
Is there a chance of them contracting Chilli AIDS from doing that?

cheers

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

A little harvest today. Bhuts top left, Devils tongues top right, 7 pots bottom left and some orange habs bottom right. Baggies at top is frozen chilli ready to go into this paste as well.

DSCF3612.jpg

Making some chilli paste today. This is awesome. the end product is put into a zip lock bag them flattened out and frozen like that - FLAT. You use it by snapping off a piece as needed like chocolate. It's very very convenient and great for long term storage.

I cut my 7 pots in half just because I want to check for fruit fly as I had an issue last season.

DSCF3614.jpg

Then whizz it all up. I use a splash of olive oil as I have found it pastes a little better.

DSCF3616.jpg

Then into th ezip lock bag and pressed out ready to freeze.

DSCF3620.jpg

Repeat with Devils Tongues.

DSCF3622.jpg

As you can notice no addatives, vinegar or salt etc. Just raw fresh chilli and a bit of olive oil :) :)

I cut my 7 pots in half just because I want to check for fruit fly as I had an issue last season.

There is a fruitfly that lives in chillis? My god, I've heard it all now.

-Browndog

There is a fruitfly that lives in chillis? My god, I've heard it all now.

-Browndog

You bet. They decimated my 7 pot and bhut jolokias last season. This season I have used several fruit fly baits with great success. Even my oranges have been nil affected. YAY!

I note that my orange habs, devils tongues and birds eye never got fruit fly.... just the 'super hots'. THAT still has me baffled.

hey mate should I get rid of that one with leaf curl? Is that shit contagious?

hey mate should I get rid of that one with leaf curl? Is that shit contagious?

I have also been affected by this this year. I have had something every year growing chillis. First was aphids and the darn farming ants, then fruit fly, then this season white fly which I know now carry/transmit the curling disease.

From what I can gather thus far it's ok to eat the fruit but other plants will get it via white fly. As my plants are 3 years old now, although a shame to cull them, I will dispose of them and start fresh, like Monday putting new seeds down.

So yes get rid of it but if it is fruiting might as well get some fruit from it. Best to control the white fly to try and prevent it again with sticky baits etc..... I will make my own soon to help out alongside the fruit fly baits and ant baits I use. God it's a bitch growing in Queensland!

Edit: by the way got tomatoes near by? It can get from tomatoes to chilli and vise versa. Smoking while handling tomatoes and chillis can aid in infections too I have found out. From the tobacco virus of all things ie ciggi buts flicked in the garden or pot plants and off fingers rolling your own etc.

Cheers. Yeah I have a tomato plant about 1m away, it seems to be doing really well though, pumping out the fruit. The plant with leaf curl has never fruited.. it almost did before it got curl but the little buds dried up and fell off.

Back