Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Sinkas,

I have some very mild varieties that I grow for salads and mild sauces. Bishops Hat are what they're called and they are pictured earlier in the thread - a few pages back. Some of seeds I can get for you - they're taking ages to dry so far this year with all the rain - they're going mouldy, but will have a few more to dry out soon if you want some. This variety grows like weeds.

InCider.

can anyone help me out with a couple of varietites of interesting chilli seeds, not really into hyper hot, but diff flavours woudl be great to try growing
I know that some hop sellers and ebay-plant-and-seed-sellers cannot/will not ship to WA due to quarantine restrictions, do those restrictions apply to chilli seeds as well?

Hey Sinkas,

I have some very mild varieties that I grow for salads and mild sauces. Bishops Hat are what they're called and they are pictured earlier in the thread - a few pages back. Some of seeds I can get for you - they're taking ages to dry so far this year with all the rain - they're going mouldy, but will have a few more to dry out soon if you want some. This variety grows like weeds.

InCider.

Hey mate

I never received those seeds, Wolfy might be right about the quarantine

Cheers
Shonks

I've still got a couple more Bishops to dry out Shonks so I'll dry some more seeds - hardly any fruit with all the wet. They love the dry weather more for sure.

If you haven't moved, I'll pop some more bishops over - just envelope this time.

S.

No Wukkas mate, Much appreciated.
Have you sprouted any of the seeds yet?

Cheers
John

Are they heirloom? (I guess I'm asking if they'll sprout)

We've thought about getting some chilli's and other things growing, I've never heard of bishops hats- will have to keep an eye out for them. I like to make chilli sauce, and chilli oils- its been a while since I made any and HWMBO is harassing me to get my ass into gear!

Thanks for the heads up on the bishops hats!

No Wukkas mate, Much appreciated.
Have you sprouted any of the seeds yet?

Cheers
John

Got some new dried hats to get off to you today - we've had a great week of dry weather so I am sure they won't go mouldy on the trip. I've got two seedlings from the ones you sent me - I am hesistant to plant all of them as the wet weather is really hurting all my chillies this autumn (and summer was terrible!) So far the Bishops, which normally grow out of control have given me less than a dozen fully grown healthy ones - normally I'd get 50-60! Most of the fruit on them is rotting / pest affected as the growth is not vigorous enough which is a shame, but winter will see the ground dry out significantly. My front paddock still shows surface water when you walk on some parts of it when I mow!

I am thinking of using a small portable green house to get some seedlings started in the next month or so - and seeing how it works here in winter - 21degs and clear during the day and 8 degrees overnight...

Are they heirloom? (I guess I'm asking if they'll sprout)

We've thought about getting some chilli's and other things growing, I've never heard of bishops hats- will have to keep an eye out for them. I like to make chilli sauce, and chilli oils- its been a while since I made any and HWMBO is harassing me to get my ass into gear!

Thanks for the heads up on the bishops hats!

Margrethe, I've got three on the plant at the moment, I'll get one today for drying out for you if you like. It will take a week or two, then I can send.

Cheers,

Sean

That would be AWESOME! Like really!!! Let me know when, and I'll pm you an addy.

That is super cool!

Got some new dried hats to get off to you today - we've had a great week of dry weather so I am sure they won't go mouldy on the trip. I've got two seedlings from the ones you sent me - I am hesistant to plant all of them as the wet weather is really hurting all my chillies this autumn (and summer was terrible!) So far the Bishops, which normally grow out of control have given me less than a dozen fully grown healthy ones - normally I'd get 50-60! Most of the fruit on them is rotting / pest affected as the growth is not vigorous enough which is a shame, but winter will see the ground dry out significantly. My front paddock still shows surface water when you walk on some parts of it when I mow!

I am thinking of using a small portable green house to get some seedlings started in the next month or so - and seeing how it works here in winter - 21degs and clear during the day and 8 degrees overnight...

Margrethe, I've got three on the plant at the moment, I'll get one today for drying out for you if you like. It will take a week or two, then I can send.

Cheers,

Sean

Good on ya mate
What strains did you get to sprout?
We had a bad season with the excessive heat over here, lots of flower drop. Superhots got hammered but starting to fruit know with the cooler weather.

Cheers
John

Hey John - which ones sprouted... I am not sure as the pots got moved around! :rolleyes:

One of them is struggling, and growing really slowly - especially now we're getting down to 12deg overnight (in QLD!)

Got seeds drying at work - the good ship Youi has ample sunlight and window ledges in her new building to dry out lots of chillis!

S.

Hey mate

I never received those seeds, Wolfy might be right about the quarantine

Cheers
Shonks

Popped in the post today Shonks - sorry for the delay! I have been the most slack bugger on the forum. :rolleyes: In envelope, pretty flat etc etc so should look like a normal letter.

S.

Popped in the post today Shonks - sorry for the delay! I have been the most slack bugger on the forum. :rolleyes: In envelope, pretty flat etc etc so should look like a normal letter.

S.

Thanks very much mate. They arrived today, Looking forward to planting the Ipswich seeds (I recon they will be tough bastards).

Much appriciated

Cheers

Shonks

Thanks very much mate. They arrived today, Looking forward to planting the Ipswich seeds (I recon they will be tough bastards).

Much appriciated

Cheers

Shonks

(in no order)

Here is a scotch bonnet I got give that is starting to fruit... leaves are so pale I think it's sick! Might have to move it at the end of winter/ when the soil dries out to see if recovers.
Under the SB is a Habanero ... can't wait till they X-pollinate! :D

IMAG0385.jpg

The two small plants in the foreground are Ipswich Flood Chillies. Hardy buggers..
IMAG0379.jpg

Close up of another Ipswich Flood.
IMAG0380.jpg

These are the ones I cannot remember which variety! The will be moved to a small portable green house I have today.
IMAG0382.jpg

I have some Habs and Bishops hats elsewhere in the garden that are surprisingly back into fruiting in the QLD winter weather.

Hey guys,

I've been saving up some chilli to make a batch of sauce, but I need some help in fixing the recipe,

The last batch I made I used about 250g of chilli, 400g of diced tomato and about half a cup of white wine vinegar, the problems are

1. There is significantly more habeneros in this batch then the last, any thoughts on how I could dilute the heat (apart from removing the extra habs) such as neutralizing vegetables or maybe coconut milk/cream?

2. When I was making the sauce, to the recipe it came out more like a paste, how do I make it more sauce like?

3. Most importantly, is there anyway to prevent the chilli fumes from going through the entire house?

Thanks,

Hughezy

Hey guys,

I've been saving up some chilli to make a batch of sauce, but I need some help in fixing the recipe,

The last batch I made I used about 250g of chilli, 400g of diced tomato and about half a cup of white wine vinegar, the problems are

1. There is significantly more habeneros in this batch then the last, any thoughts on how I could dilute the heat (apart from removing the extra habs) such as neutralizing vegetables or maybe coconut milk/cream?

2. When I was making the sauce, to the recipe it came out more like a paste, how do I make it more sauce like?

3. Most importantly, is there anyway to prevent the chilli fumes from going through the entire house?

Thanks,

Hughezy

1) Instead of removing heat, make a hot sauce and serve mixed with sour cream or similar...after a while you'll use less and less sour cream. If your sauce is too hot you can always post mix with salsa dip, or any tinned fruit etc to mellow it out.

2) Blend after the simmering the sauce to mush, and allow to warm up from the fridge if you want it to pour better. I put my chilli sauce in PET bottles with pop top lids (sports drinks ones are the go) so the are easy to squeeze the right amount out. Glass is a pain. PET is easy to fill with a funnel as you can squeeze the bottle, then vacuum the sauce in.

3) Do it outside on the BBQ and blend there too.

Cheers,

InCider.

Today I have to wait 1 hour for the V8s.... so.... it's time to make another sauce. I have to give some to a few of the guys at work who have given me samples recently!

Pics to follow but here is the basic idea...Iron Chef Chilli Sauce!

Chillies: All the chillies in the freezer (habs, long green ones, bishops and some misc odd ones)

Sweetness: Today's theme ingredient...Mandarins - about 8 big ripe ones.

Misc: apple, onion, malt or cider vinegar, maldon sea salt, cracked pepper....

Anything else?

Ok, so here is the wash. Not as sweet as planned, and the mandarin astringency will bite at some stage!

Here's the mix L to R: Habaneros, Hungarian Wax (I called them long green ones, that's what they look like most of the time!), a few Bishop Hats, 1/2 doz Scotch Bonnets from a mate at work, and the rest are Birds Eyes from another bloke at work.
IMAG0643.jpg

Knife for scale, and if you're a Hopaote fan, a thumb as well.
IMAG0645.jpg

Coarse cut the lot, make up time slicing by cooking them until really soft. Besides, by cutting them fine, you end up with seeds everywhere.
IMAG0646.jpg

All loosely chopped like Ben Cousins in the off season.

IMAG0650.jpg

I used the fattest and oldest mandarins off the tree. They were much juicier, but not as pretty.

IMAG0651.jpg

They went in peeled and seperated. No seeds removed... there were few anyway.

IMAG0652.jpg

White wine vinegar... cider vinegar is great too, but this was my choice after smelling both.

IMAG0653.jpg

The mash before the boil. I added a heap of cider vinegar (approx 300mls) and some water to get the fruit and chillies immersed enough. If you do too much water, you'll boil it off anyway (as you all know anyway! :rolleyes: )
IMAG0655.jpg

After cooking it with the lid on for 69 laps of the V8 Supercars in Darwin, it was a mushy pulp and ready for blending. Here is the result of the blend.
IMAG0658.jpg

The coke bottle method is the best for getting it into jars. Here I am using some small water bottles to make a few jars for a couple of mates.
The funnel is another PET bottle, and the tape is that old skool paper masking tape. works a treat and makes a great seal without leaving gum on the neck of the bottle.
IMAG0661.jpg

Here you can just see the 'burp' in the funnel, where the pressure from squeezing the bottom vessel pushes upwards. Vaccum created does the work for you.
But what would you do with a glass vessel????
IMAG0663.jpg

Volunteers aplenty!!! use a straw, make a passageway to the bottom vessel and you're done.
IMAG0665.jpg

NO CHILDREN WERE HARMED IN THE CREATION OF THIS CHILLI SAUCE.

Very quiet on this thread - when are things going to heat up again????

Latest posts

Back