Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever eaten one Tony??

No........ not yet. My brother and i both grow chillis and we have a pact. If we grow it, we have to eat it!

My wife is going to take photos.

Ive eaten whole Habaneros, no problems there. But these may be a challenge. GOing to start with a slice and move on up :)

cheers

Stick the video on YouTube :p I've eaten Habaneros, but don't think I'd like to go any hotter straight off the plant. Good luck when you do it!

Stick the video on YouTube :p I've eaten Habaneros, but don't think I'd like to go any hotter straight off the plant. Good luck when you do it!

youtube! youtube! youtube! youtube!

but i dont have a video camera..... and wouldnt know how to use utube anyway

My digital camera is an SLR

After watching Zizzle eat that " Atomic" chilli at the swap meet, I would go the video

Now we know the REAL reason why he left the country

And yes...them things where "FCKN HOT"

Well i got the wife a digital camera for xmas and she has already set up a u-tube account ready to go. She is hanging out to video it.

now i just need them to ripen up.

The Bhuts are 3 fingers long now and more are starting to grow. They are soft and spongy..... very unusual peppers. They are also developing spiky spurs which is makeing my but nervous.

Bit an orange hab off at the stem the other day to start the hardening process. managed it without drooling or any drink at all :)

My brother has agreed to participate in tasting sessions on video.

It will be done :)

cheers

Well i got the wife a digital camera for xmas and she has already set up a u-tube account ready to go. She is hanging out to video it.

It will be done :)
I've applied for Sat BBatjusttherighttimethen.
I'm not so nuts as to try eating a Bhut Jolokia off the bush, but I'm busting to watch a video of someone doing it.
Does that make me a sadist? :)

<abbrev>
Edit: The risk of buying seeds from overseas, is thet customs seize them and destroy them. Ive lost 2 lots in the last 3 ive had sent. One was a pack of pure strain 7 Pod seeds from canada with some dried 7 Pod powder to try. Customs took them.

Also spent $30 on seeds from the tomatoe company in the US and they got seized as well.

One lot of 7 Pod seeds made it through though.
</abbrev>
Guys, do you understand why Customs seize your seeds?
It's to stop any excluded diseases getting into this country and spreading to commercial crops. It's not specifically to piss off chilli growers (or Cannabis growers, etc...)
I've had a visit from Customs once, and they advised that I should check with them before importing anything (books included).
<abbrev> Well i got the wife a digital camera for xmas and she has already set up a u-tube account ready to go. She is hanging out to video it.

</abbrev>
Tony, have you considered that your wife has issues with, possibly,...ummm... "sadism"?

Best of luck, and post the YouTube link here ASAP.

Beerz
Les

Guys, do you understand why Customs seize your seeds?
It's to stop any excluded diseases getting into this country and spreading to commercial crops. It's not specifically to piss off chilli growers (or Cannabis growers, etc...)
I've had a visit from Customs once, and they advised that I should check with them before importing anything (books included).
I think Customs would have seized the seeds on behalf of AQIS. Seed importation is a huge pain in the ass in regards to AQIS requirements. If you ever feel the urge to import such things have a look at AQIS ICON, this is the database of AQIS import conditions.

For the customs side of things, if you are bored and feel a bit game, you could read CUSTOMS (PROHIBITED IMPORTS) REGULATIONS 1956, or just browse Customs imports faq's

Anyhoos, back to the chilli. My birds eye that i have been growing from a seed since september has finally began to sprout flowers so hopefully the little buggers shouldnt be to far off. I gave up on my orange habs & jalapenos that i have been trying to grow from seeds and just bought already flowering plants from the nursery.

Scored a food dehydrator for chrisy. Works a treat.

Dried some orange habs and turned half into flakes before i busted the blage head off my coffee grinder. In the bin it went. bugger.

Will have to look for a cheap food processer to handle the load.

Picked some out and tried it. The flavour is fantastic and the heat is concentrated some what. Holy dooly!

Love it.

I also dried a couple of ripe Jalepinos i had and chewed on the dry rings loke lollies while i brewed today. sweet then a nice heat. Very nice.

Les......... i promised you orange habs last year. did you still want some? You will have to drop over home to get some.

let me know.

cheers

dry_orange_habs.jpg

Gents, where is a good place to determine what chilli plant is what?
I have some Birds Eyes and some other variety and they are ripening quite quickly.
Also anyone got a good tip or site for chilli sauce recipes?

C&B
TDA

Hey guys, just a heads up. A few months ago the department of whatever decided that no tomato seeds would be allowed into Oz from anywhere. Something to do with a potato virus/desease that can be carried on tomtoes.
I have a hundred and something varieties of tomato seeds here so if anyone has one they would like to try give me a PM and I'll get some to you if I have them. But it might not be till Feb before I can respond as we are going travelling for a couple of weeks.

Hey guys, just a heads up. A few months ago the department of whatever decided that no tomato seeds would be allowed into Oz from anywhere. Something to do with a potato virus/desease that can be carried on tomtoes.
I have a hundred and something varieties of tomato seeds here so if anyone has one they would like to try give me a PM and I'll get some to you if I have them. But it might not be till Feb before I can respond as we are going travelling for a couple of weeks.

very interested.... fancy adding a list of seeds in a new thread? Or PM me it?
Cheers
Steve

Update on the Bhut Jalokias!

Some awsome peppers coming along now with dozens more forming up....... and its only early days.

here are some pics of a few.

This one is picture perfect! and coule get twice as big yet.

Bhut1.jpg

This one is all spikey and spured...... it says DANGER! cant wait till they are red.

Bhut2.jpg

This one gives me funny looks when i go check the plants and wolf whistles any girls passing by. Not quite sure what to make of it.

BhutFace.jpg

cheers

Tony..

I took some of the orange habs to a local butcher here yestersay, and he used just the powder out of the jar ( approx 1 spoon full ) in about 4kg. of thick beef sausages. You cant see any flakes or seeds, or even smell them yet.

I BBq'd a few last night, only 5hrs old

All I can say is they the flavour is fantastic, HOT but not overpowering.He did warn me that if I left them in the fridge for a few days they would heat up even more

They are going to be very hot in a few days time... :D

Thats awsome mate..... great work.

I will send you a dried Bhut to make some sausages out of but a spoon full may do 20 kg!

cheers

Well my 2 larger bhut jolokias are still growing. Nowhere as fast as I thought and the weather has been very mild in Melbourne so far.

Hopefully will get some chillies of them but there is no way on earth I am eating a whole one all at once.

cheers
johnno

bhut.JPG

Hi Johnno.

Mate........... the soil those plants are in looks terible. If i were you i would spend $20 on a couple of pots 2 or 3 times the size and get the best potting mix you can. If its under $10 a bag walk past it!

I use Yates Profesional potting mix which is about $13 a bag but worth every penny. Its loaded with mutrients and wetting agents to ensure your plants are healthy. There is also a Yates Premium potting mix which is almost as good and only $10 a bag. ITs a very good option.

I ofter tip the mix in a wheel barrow and a bit of blood and bone, some water crystals (they blow up like little jelly fish and then release the water into the soil as it dries out) and about 10% peat moss and mix it all up.

Just look at my Bhuts compared to yours mate. The proofs in the pudding!

I also leave a 2 inch space between the top of the soil and the top of the pot and mulch with about an inch of Luscern hay mulch (chaff) and it extends wattering times from every day to every second or 3rd day.

If you cant easily push your finger into the soil...... like you would a drained mash bed, the soil is too hard for the roots to spread easily and the plants groath will be stunted.

I also use a good liquid fertaliser once a week when watering. The seaweed ones are good.

Get them re potted in some good soil and lots more of it (im talking a 20 liter pot or more).

cheers

Back