Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol..nah Tony..its just the angle of the pic. Most of the soil is fine, especially what they are potted in, basically pure worm poo. I make my own compost and give them a feed every now and then. I'd say that they need a lot of warm weather which we have not had a lot of in Melbourne so far.

Yeah that particular patch there is not the best hence the potatoes been grown there to work it a bit.

I think I'm ok at growing stuff. Another angle. ;)

cheers
johnno

patch.JPG

Awww mante that looks better.

The first pic looked like they were out of site behind an old shed smoewhere and planted in concrete.

Garden looks great mate

cheers

I've just gotten this:
Turbo1_DCE.jpg

it's hot enough to burn the hair off my chest. anyone know any decent recipes I can use it in? I like the "stagg chili" stuff you get at the supermarket, would I just throw in mince meat, beans and... stuff to make something similar?

i used a desertspoon full in a 20 litre batch of brown ale.. give it a nice kick!

I've just gotten this:
Turbo1_DCE.jpg

it's hot enough to burn the hair off my chest. anyone know any decent recipes I can use it in? I like the "stagg chili" stuff you get at the supermarket, would I just throw in mince meat, beans and... stuff to make something similar?

Sounds good. Just do a google for chilli con carne recipes and add your sauce :icon_drool2:
Pour over a baked potatoe with a sprinkle of cheese on top - yummmmmm
Cheers
Steve

Edit - and then on top of that a tablespoon or two of sliced green halapenos that you get from the supermarket.

A quick pic of this morning's harvest. :)

The missus is in the kitchen cooking lunch with some of the cayennes now. Can't wait to try those.

Cheers - Fermented.

View attachment DSC_2269.bmp

I have been having a bit of chilli fun in the last few days!

I have massive amounts of peppers ripening. Dozens of Jalapinos, Tobago Seasonings....... and the orange habs. I have taked 150 off it already and half that on the busr ripe atm.

Still waiting for Les to come get some before they rot.......... or even reply to my PM!!!!!!!

a few days ago i pickled some Jalapino's. Basicly boiled a 50/50 mix of water and cider and a tsp of salt. Chopped the chillis and droped them in for 1 minuite with a couple small garlic cloves.

Removed from heat and spooned the peppers into a hot boiled jar and topped up with the boil liquid.

Screwed on the cap and let cool upside down.

They are much much better than the bought ones. Still a slight crispness and crunch, low heat and fantastic flavour!

Also made a Jerk Rub/marinade for a chilli head BBQ on saturday. Its got about 15 different ingredients bat basicly its onnion's, some oil, red wine vinigar, lime juice, garlic, brown sugar, ciniman, nutmeg, allspice, bay leaf, thyme, sage, black pepper, salt........ ahhhh i think thats it......... all blended to a juicy paste.

Will marinate chicken in it fpr a day or 2 than BBQ on the grill.

We will be sampling some Naga's and other nasty chillies on the day and aparently there will be a video/utube evidence. the salad dressing is orange habanero based!!!!!!!!

My arse is more scared than me :)

JerkpasteandJals.jpg

Also made a sauce which consisted of:

40% pinaple
10% mango
25% white vinigar
25% water
half an onion
bit of garlic
2 x orange habs and a goatsweed
a bit of basil
salt and pepper
Xanthan Gum

cooked the onion and garlic and added the water and vinigar. simmered for a min then added chopped chilli. simmered for another few min. added rest of ingredients and brought to simmer. chucked it all in the food processor and blitzed it while adding the gum to thicken it.

Poured in bottles (got 3 of these) and its great with chicken or pork. Very spicy and fruity. Tropical is the word!

TropicalSauce.jpg

cheers

Tony..

I will be back down your way next weekend.

Steve sent me some hot sauce that he made in canberra. Damn nice I must say.

I will bring the bottle donw and give you some..

Tony..

Good to here, share it around :beer:
Cheers
Steve

Les came and got a large quantity of chillis.......... hundreds on them so he will be right for a while

I have a few more comming on.

here are the 2 sides of one of my 2 Bhut Jalokia plants

Bhutside2.jpg

Bhutside1.jpg

and this little devil is getting angry

EvilBhut-1.jpg

I also have 7 Pods on the way

7PodFlowers-1.jpg

and the Devils tongue is huge......... its flowering now..... check out the leaves

DevilsTongueLeaves.jpg

will keep you updated

cheers

Got home from holidays today in the Hunter Valley and picked the tommys and peppers below.

DSC02089_800.jpg

Those are the Toms Yellow Wonders I told you about Tony. These four weighed a total of 1895gm
The yellow peppers are Golden Marconi and the red ones the Mariachi Hybrid I have had going for two years now. They are like Jalapenos but way hotter

Thinking of making a tomato and chilli jam and some sweet chilli sauce.

Thanks for the hints on the digital camera, Tony. I bought an Olympus with 5X Opto zoom and 8.0 Megapixels.
A tidy unit.

Anyway, here's the booty from the bags (and the new camera) on my stove-top. Unintentionally or maybe subliminally I included the stove-top message of "Hot Surface" at the bottom of the pic. The goat's weed chillies are now on a string (which I stupidly wore like a lei and the burn on my neck has now abated). The orange Habs have been de-stemmed and halved and are in the herb dryer.

Hot_bounty.jpg

I'm grateful and keen to try some recipes. Chopping these chillies has been the first time that I have felt a burn on the palms of my hands.

Really enjoyed the porter last night too. As drinkable as Trent's porter and that's good gear. Saving the Doppelbock for a special occasion (soon though).

Thanks again, Tony, for the hospitality.

Les the spice-guy :p

Chopping these chillies has been the first time that I have felt a burn on the palms of my hands.

Les, trust me, wear rubber washing up gloves whilst chopping and DO NOT GO TO THE TOILET if you have been chopping without them. You will cry.

Mantis......... it was great to meet you and your family! I cant wait to grow some of the toms you gave me as seeds. I really cant wait!

Les..... for christ sake wear gloves. Glad you liked the peppers.

I will have plenty more of different and hotter varieties soon.

I actually ripped that orange hap plant out this arvo so thats the last of them........ im sick of them. Close on 1000 chillies off the plant...... i replaced it with a 7Pod.

Once dried........ you will have enough heat for a long time.

Glad you liked the porter.......... It was good to have you, and mantis, here for a beer!

cheers

The orange Habs have been de-stemmed and halved and are in the herb dryer.

Is this a homemade drier or a dehydrator? I'd love to dry some habs but have found they tend to rot before drying if using a simple ristra.

It was great to meet you and your family too Tony and my thanks also for the hospitality and really good beer. Your setup is fantastic and puts my one pot system to shame :beer:

Tony when is the big day - the bhut eating day I am hanging out to see the video!!! I may mention you have to be crazy to chow down on one of those but just to support you I will watch the youtube of the event!!!

Buddy you're a young man hard man
Shoutin' in the street gonna take on the World some day
You got blood on yo' face
You big disgrace
Wavin' your banner all over the place
Singin'

We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you

Tony..

hey Tony - did you catch up with Stu and have some of my sauce? wadda you reckon?

Back