Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing as masters is closing, anybody know where I can get some 7pod seedlings?

pat_00 said:
Seeing as masters is closing, anybody know where I can get some 7pod seedlings?
Bunnings, my local in Runaway Bay, has Nagas, Ghost (Bhuts), a few others like Habs and some I didn't recognise. Decent size and most about to flower for under $5 each. NO 7 pods but a good selection of super hots. They really need re potting and mine have taken off in the ground.

I have a Rocoto Manzano that has had heaps of flowers though every time the flowers start to turn to fruit they start to die and fall off.
I have grown many varieties of chillies for years and have never had this issue before and my other chillies have plenty of fruit. I'm just about ready to rip this one to make way for something else though would like to stick with it as I have never tried this variety.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yeah, when fruiting they need potassium, mg, mn and cal.
Just don't over water them or use heavy nitrogen ferts. Best if using organic low nitrogen ferts (like manure pellets etc) in the summer. Over watering and too much nitrogen often causes fruit to rot and drop.
Let them dry out a bit - they like it and people often do it deliberately to raise the chilli heat and still end up with a good harvest.
Only water at dawn if the plant looks like it's wilting after being cool and out of the sun overnight. Don't water during the day just because you see its wilting, because they will wilt even if the soil is wet. If daytime wilting bothers you, add some shade rather than over water.

E: Also rocotos are a cooler weather plant, they're not going to do well in high heat. When I was growing them they loved the spring and autumn.

Good tips. Just like to add I always water in the afternoons when the sun heat has gone. Mine have always loved it and are now producing some whopper plants. I always water with a very low dose of seasol so that likely helps. I don't 'power dose' with seasol, just super low dose a lot. In fact, I water all my plants from a plastic bottle and rain water where possible. This way I control the seasol from a few drops to a cap full per bottle.

Agreed, only water when wilted and NOT in the heat of the day. They seem to punish you if you do. So morning or evening seem to work with us two. The common denominator, not watering when the sun is on them.

pablo_h said:
Yeah, when fruiting they need potassium, mg, mn and cal.
Just don't over water them or use heavy nitrogen ferts. Best if using organic low nitrogen ferts (like manure pellets etc) in the summer. Over watering and too much nitrogen often causes fruit to rot and drop.
Let them dry out a bit - they like it and people often do it deliberately to raise the chilli heat and still end up with a good harvest.
Only water at dawn if the plant looks like it's wilting after being cool and out of the sun overnight. Don't water during the day just because you see its wilting, because they will wilt even if the soil is wet. If daytime wilting bothers you, add some shade rather than over water.

E: Also rocotos are a cooler weather plant, they're not going to do well in high heat. When I was growing them they loved the spring and autumn.

Morning is the best time though I have done both through necessity, evening watering has the potential of attracting slugs and snails. The wilting is what is called transpiration, where the plants loose the water during a hot day then recover at night.
I was often up the crack of Dawn till her mother complained.

Dear chilli experts, I'm after some identification assistance.

Are these scotch bonnets? I've done some googling and some online look like this, and some don't.
My in-laws inherited a few plants when they moved house a year or so ago, and these belong to the last survivor.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

med_gallery_30557_1283_104018.jpg

Kumamoto_Ken said:

Are these scotch bonnets?
They look more like orange habs to me, though I'm far from a chilli expert...

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Orange Habaneros. I'd need to smell them though. Cut one open and if it is citrus like then that is the go.

GibboQLD said:
They look more like orange habs to me, though I'm far from a chilli expert...

indica86 said:
Orange Habaneros. I'd need to smell them though. Cut one open and if it is citrus like then that is the go.
Thanks guys, I think you're right. Mother-in-law assured me they were Scotch Bonnets...who'd have thought she'd ever be wrong?

Diced fresh with lime and onion and fresh coriander makes a brilliant salsa for fish.

indica86 said:
Diced fresh with lime and onion and fresh coriander makes a brilliant salsa for fish.
That's essentially a recipe for ceviche if you use raw diced/sliced fish and it let cure in the lime juice!

Used a Naga Viper, worlds hottest a few years back, in a batch of shin ramyun noodles I made today.
Washed my hands about three times though when I went to take a leak I found that three times was certainly not enough.
Was entertaining for the Mrs.

Kumamoto_Ken said:

Are these scotch bonnets? I've done some googling and some online look like this, and some don't.
My in-laws inherited a few plants when they moved house a year or so ago, and these belong to the last survivor.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
Could be orange Trinidad Scorpions... if they are mother ******* hot then they will be

Can anyone identify these rottweilers?

I just picked a bucket full off a single bush that's half a knee height.
They are quite fierce, two of them do a Vindaloo. I currently have enough for a year, will lactic ferment them then turn them into sriracha.

Just sent a few to RdeVjun hope he doesn't end up on the can for hours

chilli long 1.jpg

chilli long 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back