Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaysus Kirem! Thats alotta chilli goodness there!!!

Just a quick update on my small chill seedlings from Tony's kindly dontated seed.

I have no green thumb at all...

DSCN3615.JPG

Some other chilli's in the garden.

DSCN3616.JPG

I've just picked my first Orange Habanero from my $4 Stratco plant that I picked up last year. Looks like there are plenty more on there getting ready so I might try and grow a few more types next year.

I bought a new chilli sauce yesterday called KANGAROO KICK HABANERO SAUCE from THE CHILLI MAN. When i paid for it the bloke in the deli warned me to be careful with this one "its a 10/10 on the heat scale".I am not a chilli staunch like most of you fellow brewers but i do like to feel the burn, but nothing! barely even felt a tingle, i even had the wife give it a try who is not a chilli fan and she said it was nice. What tha

Has anyone else tried this sauce? Great flavor tho

I got a bottle many years ago and it was mouth wateringly hot. And i mean really hot.

Id say its been watered down.

make your own mate........ if you go back i have posted full instructions on sauce making...... its really easy and you get exactly what you want.

cheers

I got a bottle many years ago and it was mouth wateringly hot. And i mean really hot.

Id say its been watered down.

make your own mate........ if you go back i have posted full instructions on sauce making...... its really easy and you get exactly what you want.

cheers

Yeah thats the plan. Picked up 4 small habanero plants fom bunnings last week for $3 each. so sauce making will be a little down the track. I've got another sauce which warms me up its called ring of fire, i got it up the hunter :icon_cheers:

Just noticed that my habanero plant is covered in ants. Is this a problem, and what should I do about it?

The ants may be collecting the 'residue' from I think aphids or another bug. Check under all leaves for anything odd. I have noticed ants on some of mine but until I see damage I don't care because they can help pollinate pods

My goats weed pods are black now and some bhuts have taken and devils tongue has a few taken pods!!

Just noticed that my habanero plant is covered in ants. Is this a problem, and what should I do about it?

Ants are usually a sign of scale on the plant - as far as I am aware, the ants farm the scale insect as the scale secretes a sugary substance that the ants feed on.... A quick spray with white oil should get rid of the scale and thus the ants as well...

Had a look under the leaves and there's heaps of bugs there, not sure what they are. I sprayed it with pyrethum about a week ago so as said the ants are probably cleaning up.

IMG_3428.thumb.jpg

You'll find the ants are quite smart. They will 'heard' or carry some bugs onto your plant and 'harvest' the residue that the bugs leave behind. Start white oiling your plants but BEWARE don't spray the flowers or they'll fall off. They do - I spray my flowers and decimated all flowers on a birds eye last week. Plant doing well but now re growing flowers apart from maybe 80 chillis already turning from green/black to red soon.

Knocked off at a decent hour today... got home, poured a pint and went harvesting. I have left it a bit late and lost about 1/4 of the crop but oh well..... will be right for the winter.

Here is the harvest.

TheCrop20100305.jpg

Bhut Jalokia's.......... Sssssssssmoken!

BhutJalokia20100305.jpg

Choc Hab bastardised type thing i got seeds for from a fella in florida. They are very nice flavoured and about half as hot as a habanaro.

ChocHabF120100305.jpg

These were suposed to be Douglah's but they are cross polinated with something. The other plant from the same seeds grew brown chillis that look the same. They are a bit hotter than a habanero and have a very spicy fruity taste. Nice chillis, but i wont keep the plant. the fruit flys love em.......... bastards. Lost 3/4 of the chillis the the bloody queenslanders <_<

Douglah20100305.jpg

Faria or Tobago Scotch Bonnet. Heat and flavour of a habanero but thick fleshed and better tasting. May keep this one and get it going again next year.

Faria20100305.jpg

Jalapino's. I let them mature to craze up and some go red for flavour. They are good red too... but i do like them green.

Jalapinos20100305.jpg

A few different Thai varieties. The green ones are an unknown variery... were usposed to be a short round chilli called the hot cherry but they grew a bit different. As soon as they go red they are rotton so i picked them green for a green curry. Very nice green too. Little red ones are Thai Sun's and the long red ones are Thai super hots. All very hot and very tasty. All ready for some Thai currys this winter :)

AssortedThai20100305.jpg

HEre are some of the Brown Douglahs. Not pure strain but ok.

Douglahs-1.jpg

cheers

I'd be so happy with that lot Tony. Mine are still green but getting there and ONE sole Bhut Jolokia ( about 6 flowers dropped off ). I think it was all the shit house rain we have had over the last month or so up here. I haven't watered my plants for over a month and the pot soil is still wet.......

I got about 1/5th the crop this year from the Bhuts and 7's but they hated the sandy compacy soil i put them in.

Ill have less plants next year but ones i love.

Bhuts, 7's, Devil Tongues and Jalapinos. Will be growing some others too like the Raja Mirch (1,600,000 SHU) Manzano red and Ring of fire.... basicly a very hot thai type chilli.

Only just started a chilli plant, pinched from a friends garden because we loved them so much. Had a bit of a problem with aphids and ants which i fixed with white oil. Since then though the plant has decide to drop 70% of its leaves...i dont know what ive done wrong. So far we've only got one chilli off it..anyone got tips how to keep it alive?

Jalapino's. I let them mature to craze up and some go red for flavour. They are good red too... but i do like them green.

Tony, I may have to hit you up for some seeds from the Jalpino's if possible mate for next season planting?

Got a mate who is keen for some Jalapino beers... B)

You'll find the ants are quite smart. They will 'heard' or carry some bugs onto your plant and 'harvest' the residue that the bugs leave behind. Start white oiling your plants but BEWARE don't spray the flowers or they'll fall off. They do - I spray my flowers and decimated all flowers on a birds eye last week. Plant doing well but now re growing flowers apart from maybe 80 chillis already turning from green/black to red soon.

Only just started a chilli plant, pinched from a friends garden because we loved them so much. Had a bit of a problem with aphids and ants which i fixed with white oil. Since then though the plant has decide to drop 70% of its leaves...i dont know what ive done wrong. So far we've only got one chilli off it..anyone got tips how to keep it alive?

Maybe you sprayed, as I did, the flowers with white oil. I have found it makes the flowers drop off.

Maybe you sprayed, as I did, the flowers with white oil. I have found it makes the flowers drop off.
Pyrethrum did the same to the flowers on my habanero. Question is, how do you spray the leaves but not the flowers?

I'm not too worried this time around as there are about 30 habaneros about to turn orange which will keep me going for a while...

Latest posts

Back