Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pic time. Here is my little chilli patch in pots wrapping around some olive and orange trees in the background.....

Overview of most pots;

DSCF2859Medium.jpg

2 x Bhut Jolokias in semi shade hardening off now out of the green house;

DSCF2851Medium.jpg

1 x 7 pot, 1 x goats weed ( furry buggar )..... cheers Tony for all the super hots below :)

DSCF2852Medium.jpg

2 x birds eye going well;

DSCF2853Medium.jpg

2 x small rainbow and background devils tongue;

DSCF2854Medium.jpg

Goats weed and fly traps;

DSCF2855Medium.jpg

2 x rainbow not liking the polystyrene box;

DSCF2856Medium.jpg

7 pot hardening off in the green room with patio romas and tiny toms;

DSCF2858Medium.jpg

stuck in the middle of this lot is my first rainbow plant fruiting like mad but hard to tell in the pic;

DSCF2860Medium-1.jpg

Cheers.

Awsome stuff mate! There looking fantastic.

Put the 7's, bhuts and devil tongues where they get lots and lots of sunshine. Maximum you can manage and keep the roots damp...... not too wet. Feed em with power grow every second water and they will go nuts.

You might get some late season fruit off them but once it cools down in late april/may, they will just stop dead, drop their leaves and look like half dead sticks. Keep them alive, and in august / september, but them back, re pot them in fresh soil and watch em go!

cheers

Thanks Tony. If I put the chilli's in the all day sun they just shrivel up and go mega limp. They can only handle half day so far with the exception of the birds eye's that are bigger. That's why some are in morning sun and others in arvo sun. They seem to be lasting longer in more and more full sun as they get bigger but not gonna risk it whilst at work. This weekend I'll see if they have toughened up and try it as you recommend, chilli master :lol:

Edit: Second water Tony as in every second day?

yeah every 2nd or 3rd day. I just put about 10Ml's in a 9 liter watering can.

Hmmmmm might go take some pics of my plants now :)

cheers

Cube, thanks for the pics. You just helped me identify my 7 pots and goats weeds. They all got mixed up when they were neatly plucked from their seed raising trays by my youngest son. My 7's and goats are about the same size as yours. Unfortunately though theres only a couple of months left in Canberra before it starts to cool down. Doubt I will get anything off them. Ive a couple more growing but I dont know what they are from your pics.
Cheers
Steve

Edit......ive also got a fang fly trap. Bought it for my eldest. He loves it.

Edit Edit.....Tony please can you take a pic of your bottle of power grow?

Sorry I CBF reading the entire 33 pages of this thread, but do you guys have any good recipes for relishes or chutneys?

I pickle my chili's with a simple 1 part white vinegar, 4 part boiled water, 1 tsp salt, a dozen peppercorns, a sliced garlic clove - and then si that in a steralized jar for 3+ months. But id love a good chili jam recipe! Or maybe a tomato & chilli chutney...

here are some of mine

Douglahs:

Douglahdarkclose1.jpg

Douglahdarkclose2.jpg

Thai Super Hot

Thaisuperhot-2.jpg

Faria (tobago scotch bonnet)

Faria-1.jpg

Thai Sun

ThaiSun.jpg

Ancho

Ancho-2.jpg

7 Pod

7Pod.jpg

Blardy hell Tony those 7's just scare me to bits mate :eek: Can't wait for mine and having some powder like yours last season. :lol:

Your plants are doing really well. All mine survived the 38 deg here today quite well. I did give them a real good drink in the morning with grey water and at 1530 they were doing Ok in all day sun. Gave em a good power feed and a tad of seasol for good measure later in the afternoon.

That Thai sun plants a nice looking plant Tony. Plenty of chillies and flowers on it too.

I dont know what to do with mine. Stick em in the ground this weekend where I know they will pump ahead or leave them in pots and bring them indoors when it starts getting cold. Try and keep them as indoor plants until next year? I had loads of late plants last year too and they all died as soon as the first frost got them around. Only a couple of months away now. :(

Cheers
Steve

That Thai sun plants a nice looking plant Tony. Plenty of chillies and flowers on it too.

I dont know what to do with mine. Stick em in the ground this weekend where I know they will pump ahead or leave them in pots and bring them indoors when it starts getting cold. Try and keep them as indoor plants until next year? I had loads of late plants last year too and they all died as soon as the first frost got them around. Only a couple of months away now. :(

Cheers
Steve

Mmmm these superhots are native to the equator, so frosts will kill them very quickly.

Id say bring em in, keep them alive (they will become hybernating sticks) and as soon as it starts to warm up, re pot the mand get them in as much direct sun as you possible can. Even if it means putting them on the bloody roof!

cheers

Pic time!
Picked, dried 32 chillis off this rainbow the other day and ground them all up into a powder. Nice heat...6/10 maybe but does have nice smokey flavour for some reason. Yum.

DSCF2894.jpg

Ha! - about 2 months ago I picked off a chilli from the above rainbow and ate it whilst having a beer outside. I squirted a few seeds into the little spring onion box and about eight came up. I thinned it out to one and it's now got flowers on it!
DSCF2895.jpg

Overview on now:
DSCF2909.jpg

Tops of birds eyes almost flowering like mad:

DSCF2897.jpg

and about to be flowers:

DSCF2899.jpg

7 pot about to flower!

DSCF2906.jpg

Bhut Jokokia about to flower:

DSCF2907.jpg

Goats weeds about to flower...!:

DSCF2901.jpg

DSCF2900.jpg

7 pot and Bhut jolokia

DSCF2902.jpg

That'll do for now..next pic time will be setting super hots! YEAH!

Awsome!

I cant wait to see what grows on those plants... being open polinated and all.

Gotta love the hairy goats weeds hey. Mine dropped chillis all over the place and they are sprouting by the dozzen. i have let one go and its a couple feet tall now with a couple chillis on it. They are a bit bitter but bloody hot. hit you like a cricket bat in the face.

cheers

I have planted some of Tony's seeds into punnets, and only one of the 3 types I have tried this time have taken off. Only 3cm or so of growth, but its a start. I dare say some of the varieties are sloooow starters?

My hop cuttings failed miserably again... go the chillis!!!! :icon_cheers:

its a bit late raven. You really want to get these super hots going in september. as soon as it cools down they will stop dead in their tracks. Try and keep em alive over winter if you can and pot them up next spring.

watch them go then!

Fair enough! It has been wierd weather in Adelaide these last 3 or so months, real hot early, then cool snaps. Poor plants have no idea what time of year it is!

My other older chilli plants (2+ years old) that I have are going gangbusters, lots of flowers and fruit on them.

Awsome!

I cant wait to see what grows on those plants... being open polinated and all.

Gotta love the hairy goats weeds hey. Mine dropped chillis all over the place and they are sprouting by the dozzen. i have let one go and its a couple feet tall now with a couple chillis on it. They are a bit bitter but bloody hot. hit you like a cricket bat in the face.

cheers

Good to hear about the goats weed. Have a guy close to me who thinks his chillis are hot. Birds eyes, Bishops hats etc. I'll grind some 7's up and give him some powder and others. Maybe even make him a beef pattie :)

Open pollination: I'll be separating them all over the the place when the flowers open, which is now on the goats and birds. I'm brushing each flower with separate brushes for each plant in the hope that I can keep them true until winter time. Interesting concept and experiment. I'm thinking of crossing the bhuts and 7's with the birds eyes to see what comes out. Maybe the Rainbow chillis would be a better experiment crossed with bhuts.....

found a large collection of Jalapinos on a couple placys yesterday, so picked them and pickled them up last night. I got all these off 2 plants not a foot tall each.

Jalapinos.jpg

I brought 2 cups of cider vinigar and 2 cups of water to the boil, added 2 teaspoons of salt and dropped the chopped chilli's in. lid on, return to the boil and boil for about 20 seconds. remove from hot plate and start spooning it strait into the jars. They should look half cooked. still partly bright green.

cookedJals.jpg

Jalsintojars.jpg

fill with chilli, tp up with the liquid and put on the lid.

Invert and let cool. This will effectivly no chill the jar. i dont boil them, waste of time.

Jalsupsidedown.jpg

One of them had a bit of conjoined twin myslexia happening :)

Jalconjoinedtwin.jpg

and here are a few Douglahs i picked. There not true Douglahs, taste just like chocolate habs but a bit hotter...... very nice chilli all the same. Will make some great sauce with these puppies! I have 2 plants and the other one has these super pale green chillies on it that are turning red/brown kind of colour.

Douglahs-1.jpg

cheers

Great stuff Tony. How long will they last in a fridge or shelf? Stuff like that needs to be eaten quickly once opened?

If this rain tonight doesn't ease off I'll have no chillis for a while as it will smash all the flowers off my plants. About 5 goats weeds and now about 25 birds eyes flowers are setting......

they last for as long as the lid on the jar will last. Im opening jars 2 years old and they are fine.

Once you open them they are fine for a while as well. I just keep them in the fridge and under the vinigar solution.

I usually aim to have a dozzen bottles at the end of the chilli season to keep me going through the winter. love em on jatx with cheese

cheers

Latest posts

Back