Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Goatsweeds have sprouted and seem to be doing OK. The hot day on Tuesday seems to have kicked them off, so am thinking to moving them into my office to stay warm on top of a server while we have around a week of cooler weather. :)

No movement on the Bhuts or the Seven Pot or others at the moment.

The usual pili-pili / peri-peri stuff is already producing, as are the habaneros and cayennes.

Cheers - Fermented.

All the Seven Pots decided they would sprout today. Go figure. Looks like they liked sitting on a nice warm server case.

No action on the Bhuts just yet. Fingers crossed that they do something soon as I gave some seeds to a mate who is a complete green-thumb and don't want to be bested by him. :)

So far, in each pot that has germinated it has been 100% success rate at between 1.5 and 2 weeks.

Thank you, Tony. Damned good seeds. I don't even get germination rates like that from my own plants and certainly not from commercial seed. Looks like your fertilisation regime leaves plenty of nutrient reserves in the seed for easier germination.

Cheers - Fermented.

Great news mate.

Now you just need to keep the possums out of them when they grow!

I just poted mine up into bigger pots this arvo. Bought some potting mix and stired in some fire ash, peat moss, horse poop etc and mulched them well.

I recon they will take off now with some leg room :)

cheers

Weather over here in the West has finally allowed me to plant out some of the seeds you sent me Tony so will see how they go and add pics.

Cheers
Dave

Tony - Just got news that the mate i gave your seeds to has managed to germinate goatsweed, 7 pods and has 2 baby bhuts. :beerbang:

Got him to do it for me as he lives down on the plains where its warmer.

Looking forward to the burn already.

Now you just need to keep the possums out of them when they grow!
I greased the balcony rail with some axle grease earlier in the year to discourage the possums. It worked. A few greasy paw prints in it and no more molestation. I would rather like to see the fxcker's face if it ever bit a Bhut or a Seven. :)

The Bhuts took off last night and this morning. Seven out of fifteen are up.

Looks like I will plant out the rest of the seed stock this weekend... and end up with a wall o'chilli in the planters hanging off the balcony rail.

Now all I need is a house and some land instead of this big ole apartment. :D

Cheers - Fermented.

Mate ive still got loads of seeds that I got from Tony. PM me your address and I can send some to you if you want?. There is 7 pot, goats weed, devils tongue and Bhut Jolokia.

Hey steve,

got your seeds today, i'll be planting them asap. Going to get one of the seed raiser greenhouses form bunnings for like 12 bucks. seems like a smart little investment.

I haven't managed to post yours off yest (been hectic this weekend, housemate moving out etc) should hav them off to you by midweek.

Cheers!

unfortunately not a single sprout from the choc habs - tried several different techniques but none of them took.

out of interest, did anyone else get any of the choc hab seeds?
and if so, did they get them to sprout?

cheers
jon

Hey steve,

got your seeds today, i'll be planting them asap. Going to get one of the seed raiser greenhouses form bunnings for like 12 bucks. seems like a smart little investment.

I haven't managed to post yours off yest (been hectic this weekend, housemate moving out etc) should hav them off to you by midweek.

Cheers!

Good news. I got my seed raiser greenhouses from Aldi...I think they were about $9.90? Hope you showed your ex housemate your new seeds and say.....you'll not be chucking these out ya twat! :lol:
Cheers
Steve

out of interest, did anyone else get any of the choc hab seeds?
and if so, did they get them to sprout?

cheers
jon

I only had limited seeds for them that i saved from one chilli and they may have been a bit old. I only sent them to you cause you asked for them.

Sorry they didnt sprout..... I had a few varieties where seeds refused to sprout.

I also planted some 4 year old seeds and most of them went so god knows.

cheers

I only had limited seeds for them that i saved from one chilli and they may have been a bit old.

no worries mate,

just questioning if my methods were up scratch more than anything else.

i had quite a number of goatsweed, bhuts and 7 pots take. now i have to nurse them through this insane heatwave we are going through this week.

39 in november? bugger that!

i still have one or two choc hab seeds left, so i might try pre-soaking these for a few hours before planting in seed raising mix.

cheers
jon

How are those chillis coming along folks?

I have several 7 Pots forming up, lots of fatalii's and Devil Tongues, millions of Bhut flowers that keep falling off but it did that last year too and the new plants are starting to flower.

My Douglahs are getting bigger and sending out branches....... Oh i cant wait to see what grown on these plants, im very excited. I will be bagging some flowers when they get going for pure strain seed stock to share around.

cheers

How are those chillis coming along folks?

I have several 7 Pots forming up, lots of fatalii's and Devil Tongues, millions of Bhut flowers that keep falling off but it did that last year too and the new plants are starting to flower.

My Douglahs are getting bigger and sending out branches....... Oh i cant wait to see what grown on these plants, im very excited. I will be bagging some flowers when they get going for pure strain seed stock to share around.

cheers

Still only a few cms tall unfortunately. I transferred them into bigger pots with better soil as they completely stalled in the seed raising mix. Went out the back the other night and found my youngest son had picked them all out and laid them in a nice neat pile.! I stuck them back in!
Cheers
Steve

My bunnings brand habs are about 10" tall and covered in flowers. Decided to pot them this year as last years weather in melbourne meant that from my entire crop I got ONE hab. And it was a sickly looking thing too, about the size of a chickpea.

This year they're potted so I can move them to safer environs on the hot days, and so that the bucket water can work a bit better. Fingers crossed...

I'd love to get some of those exotic and truly hot chillis like you guys are talking about, but until I can get a reliable grow method working in this un-reliable Melbourne weather, I just don't think I have the emotional strength to deal with wilting Bhuts not producing anything cause 4a restrictions and 45 degree days were too much for them :(

Still only a few cms tall unfortunately. I transferred them into bigger pots with better soil as they completely stalled in the seed raising mix. Went out the back the other night and found my youngest son had picked them all out and laid them in a nice neat pile.! I stuck them back in!
Cheers
Steve

Hey steve! Turns out those seeds you sent have just began sprouting yesterday after a fortnight in the seed raiser! The goastweed and devils tongue have just started to take off, i can see a couple of bhuts starting to uncurl and 1 lonesome 7 pot. I'd say they just need a little more time, i have them in a seed raising greenhouse/box so they should kick off soon.

Also i havn't forgotten the seeds for the Thai Siam/birdseye for ya. They have been sitting on my work desk for the past fortnight and i keep on forgetting to goto the post office! Sorry!

You will also be pleased to know i planted 4 seeds of the Siam in the seed raiser to check germination. ALL 4 sprouted! ;) Awesome. I'll try and get them off to you today bud!

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Here is my update. They are outside hardening off for a few hours each day. I have topped up the pots to just under the first leaves since the last pics so they get a better root system going. This may have stunted them for a few weeks but the older ones are now taking off.
DSCF2687Large.jpg

DSCF2690Large.jpg

and here is a tomato plant sown the same time!:
DSCF2691Large.jpg

DSCF2693Large.jpg

My only new pepper a Tepin is only about 6 in high but is starting to get away well now.
Overwintered caps and Mariachi Hybrid pepper in the greenhouse have green fruit all over them
I put a green or white really Mariachi in a stir fry the other night and it sure had some bite
Funny one this as the first year they were too hot for me to eat fresh, the next year no heat to speak of , and this year they have fired up again , weird

Here are some pics of my chillis folks.

7 Pots..... there are about a dozen on there so far.

7Pot1.jpg

7Pot2.jpg

A Chocolate Habanero Hybrid i got seeds for from a fella in Florida in the US........... i have no idea what its going to be like but i cant wait to see it. The plant is very different to the usual.

ChocHabF1.jpg

My Douglah plant......... its bigger than this now..... pics are a few days old as my internet got put back to dial up by my step som internet gaming.

Douglah-1.jpg

Ancho Pablano. large mexican chillis that i have never tried..... cant wait for these.

AnchoPablano.jpg

Thai super hot....... i have a few Thai varieties going

ThaiSuperHot.jpg

Here is the colection as of a few days ago..... they are growing an inch a day in the heat. The Faria (tobago Scotch Bonnet) is getting flowers forming too whick is great.

Theplants.jpg

cheers

Nicely done Tony. Is that the wintered 7 pot? The newer ones, are you tipping them at all or have you tipped any in the past. Some of mine are at that stage to be tipped soon so will tip them all for a bushier plant.

Yeah mate they are the over wintered ones. The soil they are in turned out to be crap so im not expecting big things from the over wintered ones this year....... but you dont need many!

Its the Douglahs im excited about!

I dont tip the plants...... i just let them go for there lives.

cheers

Latest posts

Back