Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know where I get get some seeds for the various varieties of Habaneros?

I had a great collection when we lived up on the Gold Coast but gave them to neighbours when we moved back to Sydney.

I have previously grown orange habs here in Hurstville years back, but would like to have a range or orange red savina chocs etc.

Also do any of you chilli aficionados know where we can get these seeds/plant cutting whatever that actually have viable seeds? All the seeds I have ever collected seem to be non viable.

Thanks for any pointers, Cheerz Wabster.

PS wonder if any chilli freaks have wangles their way in to Bitter and Twisted? Am up there next weekend.

Cricky......... already in line for Douglah seeds :) I have 3 plants going..... one of which will go to my brother.

We will see what they turn out like hey :)

Did anyone get 7 Pot or other seeds going.

Oh.... and winkle........... i found an envelope full of seeds in the bottom of my laptop bag on friday. I forgot to send them and feel really bad.

Do you still want them?

As for internation seed traders......... i get my seeds from here. Very good quality stock.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm

But be warned....... every now and then, your seeds will get picked up by customs and destroyed.

I have no problems with mail from the UK... hence why i use this company but seeds from the USA......... 2 in 3 packs get confiscated.

cheers

Yes Tony I have of yours growing:

2 x 7 pots
2x Goats weed
2 x Bhut Jolokias
2 x Devils Tongue

Will post pics soon................................

Oh good stuff!

My 7 Pot has open flowers... as does my Bhut and devil tongue.

I also have several plants a bit s,maller that sould have fruit after xmas. My trips to PNG for work put me a bit behind this year.

cheers

Now the weather is warming up in Adelaide, I shall be planting some more of your seeds Tony. Hoping for better luck than my last efforts... was too cold I think!

Cheers!

yeah they need heat.

I got some seeds for an evil strain of 7 Pot from a fells in the USA but i only had a few and they wouldnt sprout.

Nor would my Trinidad Scorpion seeds so i have my hopes in the Douglah's for some firy fun this summer.

cheers

tony,

i have multiple goats weed, one or two 7-pods, and one bhut seedling getting bigger by the day. Another fortnight though till they are ready to be transplanted to the ground.

unfortunately not a single sprout from the choc habs - tried several different techniques but none of them took.

cheers
jon

I planted some 7 pot, Bhut and Goatsweed about a week ago so am yet waiting for them to sprout as the weather has been a bit cold. I would expect a few days to a week more.

Also passed a few seeds on to a chum who is a greenthumb by way of an insurance policy in case I don't have good luck this season.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers - Fermented.

I just planted my Trinidad Scorpion yesterday, I hope I see some sprouts :) I have them on a heat mat in Jiffy Pellets which has worked well for the other chillis I started a few months ago.

Wow chilli's are sllooowwwwwww to germinate and grow. I have had 100% germination rate so far thankfully. Some cherry tomato seeds I got going the same time as the chilli are about 400 tall already and bushy! Apart from Tony's list that I have going a few posts above of mine I also have four Birds eye and four Rainbow about fourth true set of leaves tall and they have taken well over a month and a half to get to that! Thankfully my mother rainbow has about 40 pods on it in all stages of ripeness. Ate my first raw one yesterday - haha they are quite hot for such a small pepper.

I digress. I have a question on pots! I have two empty and CLEAN as a whistle 10 L resene paints pails with PTFE or something like that on the bottoms. Are they safe to grow in? It was for water based paints. I am running out of pots and I have about eight tomatos growing and need to pot out about 14 chillis in a month or so! I'm getting out of control! :ph34r:

i recon if there clean they will be fine.... as long as you drill come nice holes in the bottom for good drainage.

Chillis hate wet feet!

All the plants i grew from seed have dot t about 2 or 3 inches tall and sat there due to the cooler nights but its warming up now and there starting to take off.

My tomatoes are only 10 inches tall and getting flowers.

I will take a few pics when i get a chance

Cheers

My Trinidad Scorpions sprouted just the other day! I'll post pics if they go well. Waiting for Naga Jolokias to sprout now.

Here are some pics of my first chilli growing season from seeds. Tony's ones are the most precious and hot that I REALLY want to go hard. Time will tell.......

An overall view of the chilli's I'm growing this year:

DSCF2643.jpg

Some of Tony's ebil chilli seeds sown about a week off a month ago!:

DSCF2642.jpg

Close up of seven pot seedling:

DSCF2649.jpg

Goats weed and Bhut Jolokia seedlings:

DSCF2651.jpg

Mixture of Rainbow from my own plant and some super market birds eye chilli seeds:

DSCF2641.jpg

and a close up of a nice healthy seedling:

DSCF2650.jpg

And these tomato seeds were sown the same time as the rainbow and birds eyes........

DSCF2646.jpg

Chilli is almost as painful and slow to grow as Bonsai ! :ph34r:

I nearly killed all the larger ones last week. I put them outside under an umbrella for an hour to start hardening them off for going out side and they were all wilted badly and I honestly thought I'd killed them. They came back to life by that night. Strong buggars! :beerbang:

Did anyone get 7 Pot or other seeds going.

Turns out during my trip to Vietnam, my housemate decided to go on a cleaning binge and threw them out knowing what they where (although wont admit it) and what i was planning todo with them (he knew what they where because i got him to taste the 7Pot powder! Haha!

They had been stored in the same place since i received them, all ready for plantng a few weeks after my return. 6+ months of sitting in the same spot and when im away for 2 weeks he decides to make a decision without asking me and throw them out.

Not happy.... Not happy at all.

Turns out during my trip to Vietnam, my housemate decided to go on a cleaning binge and threw them out knowing what they where (although wont admit it) and what i was planning todo with them (he knew what they where because i got him to taste the 7Pot powder! Haha!

They had been stored in the same place since i received them, all ready for plantng a few weeks after my return. 6+ months of sitting in the same spot and when im away for 2 weeks he decides to make a decision without asking me and throw them out.

Not happy.... Not happy at all.

Mate ive still got loads of seeds that I got from Tony. PM me your address and I can send some to you if you want?. There is 7 pot, goats weed, devils tongue and Bhut Jolokia.

My seedlings stalled too due to the cold weather a few weeks ago. Ive got about 6-7 seedlings each of the above seeds coming up. Will be putting them in the ground on the weekend.
Cheers
Steve

Cheers
Steve

Oh man its great to see some babies sprouting from all those seeds i sent out.

Will be interesting to see if they grow true to the origionals.......... wnt matter much.... there gunna be bloody hot :)

I have a rule here!

IF I GROW IT...... I SHALL AND WILL EAT IT RAW!

My brother and i taste test everyting we grow...... those 7 Pots were the first to really hurt us. Im a bit nervous about the Douglah's.

My little ones have been going slow but have shot up with the warm weather in the last week.

Here are some pics of some of mine so far:

The mother 7 Pot..... its got lots of open flowers on it already
IMG_6008.jpg

The Devil TOngue is going really well
IMG_6009.jpg

And the Bhut Jalokia..... its a bit slow but doing well
IMG_6010.jpg

Here are all the babies.
in the mix are Douglah's, Faria's (tobago scotch bonnets) Hot lemon, Hot cherry, Maules, Thai sun, That hot, Thai super hot, Ancho Pablano, Jalapino/Thai hybrid, choc hab hybrid, and a couple others that i cant spell or remember right now :)
IMG_6011.jpg

Here is one of the Douglah's
IMG_6012.jpg

Cheers

That Bhut Jolokia is a beast Tony. How many years growth is that?

Its on its second year now. The groath on it is only a month or 2 old.

Fourstar......... i will post you some fresh 7's to get even with!

Does your housemate like any sauce in particular?

Empty sauce from bottle into blender. Add a couple 7 pots and blend well. Return to bottle.

otherwise.... get another housemate!

cheers

Latest posts

Back