Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fark, harvest time for the habaneros and time to make some chilli lime sauce.

Did not get any post kitchen aid processing, but just dipping your finger in and tasting it is a trip!

Habanero_Sauce_2.jpg

Habanero_Sauce_6.jpg

Habanero_Sauce_10.jpg

Habanero_Sauce_12.jpg

what attcment is that for the aid FJ? just brought my missus one and need to suss all the attacments

what attcment is that for the aid FJ? just brought my missus one and need to suss all the attacments

It is a strainer attachment. Uses the mincer body, but has a long conical screw and a stainless seive. Strips out all the seeds/skins yet extracts all the pulp etc.

I bought a full suite of attachments when I got mine years ago and have used them all.

Fatalli!

I gave the seeds Tony sent me to a mate who lives down on the plains and has much better conditions for chilli growing. He didnt have much luck with them but yesterday sent me an MMS with a pic of a chilli he grew but didn't label.

Its a fatalli! So now i get to do the Tony 'taste and dribble' test. :lol:

Hopefully it will survive the winter and be able to do better next year.

Made some sauce tonight. Chilli, lime and coconut.

Used about 10 Tobagos (same basic flavour as a hab but without the heat - very fruity) and a few habs. A tin of coconut milk, the juice of 2 or 3 limes and a chopped onion. Fry up the onion and chilli in a pan. Add the coconut milk and lime. Let come to the boil. Blend up with some xanthan gun to thicken. Its fantastic.

IMG_1472.jpg

Apologies for the photo.. the camera has of course decided to focus on the kids bendy straw in the background and not my chilli sauce. I'm too pissed to take another though so that will ahve to do.

Cheers
Dave

Do Bhut Jolokias turn bright yellow before turning red?

I found a pile of Chili seeds in my cupboard that I bought a few years ago... completely forgot that I had bought them.. So, I now have the following planted:

Bhut Jolokia
Red Scotch Bonnet X 2
Orange Habernero X 2
Red Habernero X 2
Black Cuban
Firecracker
Penis Pepper
Red "s" whatever the hell that is..

I only planted one seed of each to see what happens. I also forgot to soak them overnight, but the soil is plenty moist, so we will see what happens.

I found a pile of Chili seeds in my cupboard that I bought a few years ago... completely forgot that I had bought them.. So, I now have the following planted:

Save the the rest of the seeds for September and get them going then. They are summer plants and die off in the winter. Most of those ones you have are native to the tropics and India where its very hot.

Start them in a small pot of seed reaising mix in about August or september..... when its warmimg back up and the mights are warmer, and plant them out in the warmest sunniest part of your garden and feed them lots. The seeds will need constant temps up around 20 to 25 deg to sprout.

Also Ouls seeds sometimes wont take off so well, depends on how they were stored.

cheers

PS..... i like your taste in chilli's :)

Do Bhut Jolokias turn bright yellow before turning red?

Oooo missed this one........ no mate, sounds like you have Devil Tongues! They are yellow.

Bhut Jolokia
Red Scotch Bonnet X 2
Orange Habernero X 2
Red Habernero X 2
Black Cuban
Firecracker
Penis Pepper
Red "s" whatever the hell that is..

I only planted one seed of each to see what happens. I also forgot to soak them overnight, but the soil is plenty moist, so we will see what happens.

mate......should wait till spring. Buckleys chance of growing at this time of year in Canberra. Ive got a few bhut jolokia plants that are still flowering. You can have a couple of you want? You'll need to keep it inside though in a sunny spot.

Edit.....actually they might be devil tongues! I'll take a pic soon as I can find batteries for the camera

Here we go:
Possibly devil tongues
Chilli3.jpg

This one is same looking plant, same shape and colour leaves etc, but different shape fruit and the one in the background is orangy/red:
Chilli2.jpg

No idea what this one is:
chilli1.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Here we go:
Possibly devil tongues
View attachment 38005

Devils tongue for sure......

This one is same looking plant, same shape and colour leaves etc, but different shape fruit and the one in the background is orangy/red:
View attachment 38006

If you are lucky they could be 7's?

View attachment 38007

Too fat to be goats weed. I'd say Thai Hot or commonly called Birds Eye. I have four of these and they produce hundreds each plant. I dry them out and hit them with a mortar and pestal lightly into flakes. Nice hit of heat on whatever., Also made sauce from 25 pods. Not bad but the Buht sauce I make is the best so far.

Cheers
Steve

Cheers cube. I know the bottom one is definately not goats weed as I have one of them and have ID'd it already.....probably right about the birds eye. I do remember germinating some but the seedlings all lost their name tags!

I'm going to buy a "growing Light" to put over these and try to get them going... Wish me luck!

I'm going to buy a "growing Light" to put over these and try to get them going... Wish me luck!

Put the seed trays on a heat pad. That'll get them germinated

Here we go:
Possibly devil tongues
View attachment 38005

oh yeah definatley Devil Tongues!!!!!!
Use these im my Jerk sauce recipe i posted a whirl ago. They are great with pinaple and xmas spice! The saice is awsome on white meat and seafood....... Prawn!!!!!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmm

View attachment 38006

They look like 7's to me. BIte one and if you vomit from pain, its a 7 Pod! Im not joking............. bite one and tell!

View attachment 38007

:huh: did they come from seeds from me ?

More Sauce - Mexican this time.

IMG_1509.jpg

Big handful of Santa Fe chillies seeda and all.
1 tin tomato pure.
Large onion.
Few cloves garlic.
Cumin seeds
Smoked Paprika
Xanthan gum

Scorch onion and garlic in a dry pan (you want hem slightly black round the edges).
Add some oil. Chuck in the chopped chillies and cumin seeds. Fry for a minute or 2.
Add the tomato puree and the smoked paprika (no heat from that but gives it that fantastic smokey flavour).
Salt to taste.
Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 mins or so.
Throw in the blender and whizz up with a little gum to thicken.

Medium heat sauce with a fantastic flavour.

Next on the list - thai chilli sauce with lime and fish sauce.

Cheers
Dave

Edit - spelling

Question on chillis from the freezer lads. I have a couple of ounce bags in the freezer of Hot Thai and want to dry them and make flakes for sprinkling on whatever. If I use a dehydrator on the defrosted chillis and dry them out totally will I get flakes or mush because defrosted chilli is not crunchy as we know.

Short from cracking out the dehydrator and drying a couple of pods ( and wasting all that energy ) any thoughts?

My Devils Tongues, Jolokias are still flowering and setting fruit like crazy :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back