Chiller - your experience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Dog

Beer
Reaction score
I currently no chill, but want to add a home made chiller to my set up (20L BM)

So I reckon I have 5 options (FWIW, I hate the idea of a plate chiller)

1 'normal' immersion chiller a la John Palmer
2 whirlpool immersion chiller a la Jamil Z
3 counter flow chiller
4 CDO version of FSM chiller (think 4 leaf daisy rotated 30 degrees each level)
5 3 mini 'normal' immersion chillers linked together

Personally I reckon it's a choice of 4 or 5, but just interested in what experiences anyone else has had?

I've read through the existing threads, but they are a little skinny on detail and time does move on

Keep it simple - 1 vote for #1
I use a stainless immersion in my BM and run the pump. Depending on the season (rainwater) I'm around pitch temp in 15-30 min.

I have tried / had most chiller set ups but I agree with Dan2, keep it as simple as you can.

My vote is for buying #3.

If you want to build your own immersion chiller, copper and fittings will still be $80-100 but the handling will kill you if you have two coils and you're trying to jingle them both up and down.

For a given cold water inlet, the CFC would be the fastest without any doubt also, something to consider as whilst most articles are correct in saying you can only get the wort as cold as your chilling water. The time it takes to get to that temp is a huge variable between each of the options.

I just recently built a FSM style chiller with a Jamil wort recirc arm, got my last 2 batches down from 95c to 16c in 6 minutes with water temps averaging 11c, it's quicker than my coil and I don't have to sit there stirring it like I used to with the coil, it looks pretty shithouse though haha.

I have a #1, but #1 and #3 gets my votes

The other advantage of the #1 style is you can pump hot water through it to maintain mash temperatures and even ramp up steps.

I have 1 and 3 and have the option of using 1 as a prechiller this coming simmer :D

# 1 for me. I used one for a few years. Worked very well. I wont get into flow rates though, as it went viral last time. I have swapped to a plate chiller now and wouldnt go back to an immersion chiiler. Whats the issue with a plate chiller??
Cheers
LB

I was in your situation very recently. Bought an immersion chiller and brown pump last week for my BM20. Almost went CFC but I decided to prioritize cleanliness above all considerations. So based on my own choices, I vote for #2.

I use an IC (18m of 10mm copper) with my 20lt BM. Cool to around 40C with tap water in about 15 mins with return going into washing machine so no waist and then switch to a pool pump in a bucket of ice water and recirculate return from IC back into the bucket. This gets me down to 20C within another 10 mins. I don't run the BM pump instead I agitate with a large spoon.

Then I whirlpool and leave stand for about 1hr and you can see the heating elements at the bottom as the wort is that clear of hop debris (I use a hop sock) as well as hot and cold break

Cheers

Wobbly

Side point/Q but why is it clear of hot break? Isnt the point of whirlpooling to combine this and any hop trub in a cone at the bottom?

Currently using a 18m 3/4inch copper IC that chills from 100c to 35c in about 5mins with current winter water at 16c out of the tap, takes about 10mins in summer. After its chilled I remove the IC and maually whirlpool and let that settle out for 10mins and then transfer to FV, into the Fridge to get her to 17c before pitching........tried using a prechiller but it wasnt effective and the chilling of the FV takes about 2hrs ( commercial glass display )

Im changing to a CFC for the folling reasons:
  • I can get the wort from 100c to < 20c in one pass
  • pitching the yeast ASAP instead of having a delay for obvious reasons.
  • I dont like putting the IC into the BM as this means I cant use the hood during the boil
  • the crap that builds up on the copper disapears each brew into the beer...... :ph34r:
WIth the CFC and pump I can run a whirlpool through the pump > CFC > wort return and when the WP is finished direct the hose from wort return to the FV for transfer or leave it in the wort return and cool the entire wort.

1 and soon to be a 3 for me. I currently use a 1/2" 50' IC and it works well down to 27.c in 15-20mins , they are big and bulky and as pratty1 said they have a ninja effect to them. I will cut this in half when ready and use half for my herms coil and maybe the other half as some sort of pre chiller for a cfc if need be.

I've got a 50ft immersion chiller (copper) and a pump that I was using. I used tap water to get it to 45 or so then iced water with the pump to get it to 20. All happens in less than 30 minutes for 20-25 litres.

I'm actually selling it as I have a CFC now with my new rig. Let me know if you are interested

I'm in Newcastle.

why the hate for plate chillers?

i use a 30 plate chiller with ease. just gravity fed. takes 5 mins to set up and clean then i just flush it out and it's good to go for the next brew. used it at least 20 times. no infections or issues. gets my beer from 100C to 20C normally, and some times ~16C in winter.

whatever works for everyone but lately i've seen so many "ugh, f$#k plate chiller" posts.

are people scared or confused about how to use them?

I wanna know too! I plan to go to a plate chiller or CFC.

I own an Immersion Chiller, but it is so painfully slow and wasteful I usually no-chill.

fletcher said:
why the hate for plate chillers?

i use a 30 plate chiller with ease. just gravity fed. takes 5 mins to set up and clean then i just flush it out and it's good to go for the next brew. used it at least 20 times. no infections or issues. gets my beer from 100C to 20C normally, and some times ~16C in winter.

whatever works for everyone but lately i've seen so many "ugh, f$#k plate chiller" posts.

are people scared or confused about how to use them?
Well said. I also use a 30 plate. Awesome cooling ability with Bowral tap water. I would have run over 1000L through it easily, with no infections.
I get the "ergh yuk" when people talk about their copper IC going into hot wort and coming out all shiny... THAT'S ergh to me.
I either water the vegetables or return the water to the tank.
Simple back flush with hot tap water until the wort is gone, then a forward flush to be sure. A spray of starsan until it runs out of the bottom outlet, another cold rinse, glad wrap the posts and put it away til next time. Hardly a contamination threat.
Love it.

The only gripe i have with plate chillers and most one-pass methods is that while youre chilling, most of the wort is still at near boiling temps, so isomerization's still occuring, right? Same with no chill and aroma hop issues there but to a lesser degree
Thats why Jamil Z elects not to use them too i believe

Lots more fans than haters for the plate chillers I think. From what I've seen most of the haters are IC users hung up on the perceived cleaning difficulties - yet those that actually own plate chillers don't appear to have any problem.

Latest posts

Back