Chill Haze

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunatly chill haze is a curse. Many a brewer has wrestled with the prob. Polyclear helps..but sometimes some brews get the haze.......

Is Cold Crashing purely to help remove chill haze

ash2 said:
Is Cold Crashing purely to help remove chill haze
No need to shout...
Chilling assists in yeast flocculation as well as precipitating chill haze. Cold crashing takes time whilst fining/filtering etc shorten the "conditioning" time.
Chill haze can cause instability in a beer. If a beer is to be consumed "fresh" and the aesthetics don't bother you, then who cares if it is a little cloudy.
Chilling the beer causes the haze forming proteins to come out of solution, they will eventually precipitate. This can be done in secondary or even the bottle after it has carbed.
Polyclar clumps these proteins and they drop out very quickly - 15 mins. I keg and chill a beer to -1c. Add polyclar, wait thirty mins and filter into a spare keg... Crystal clear beer in no time

Seriously, I'm asking if anyone has actually gotten rid of chill haze by crash chilling. I'd that even possible? I'd be happy with a link to satisfy my curiosity.

I've had had one hazy beer in all this time and no amount of chilling helped that one...

Not all haze is chill haze, there is also permanent haze.....

To answer your question, yes. A few years ago whilst still bottling, I decided to fridge the remaining bottles of a pale ale that had been bottled straight from the fermenter. The bottles were clear at room temp, hazy at fridge temp. A few weeks at 4c and they were improved, not crystal, but better. However, at serving temp (6-8c), it was a different beer - very clear.

practicalfool said:
Seriously, I'm asking if anyone has actually gotten rid of chill haze by crash chilling. I'd that even possible? I'd be happy with a link to satisfy my curiosity.

I've had had one hazy beer in all this time and no amount of chilling helped that one...
I crash chilled a pale ale I brewed recently for about a week before I bottled it, I've found when I put the bottles in the fridge, after a day or two they are a little hazy, but after a week they pour crystal clear. :D

Thank you Bradsbrew for those links. Very interesting to see such intelligent and well informed information from TB. I can see why the community is so passionate and protective of the information here. I find myself reading links to old posts and then researching through old threads to be a very enjoyable experience.

Latest posts

Back