Chill Haze

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimac23

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just started drinking a batch of beer that i made from a recipe on this site (Neill's Centenarillo Ale), It's a bloody gorgeous drop but i've noticed with this one that it has major chill haze. Straight from the fridge i can barely see through it but then leave it to warm up even a couple of degrees and it goes crystal clear.

This hasn't affected the taste at all and personally i don't mind the cloudiness but a few mates eyed it up a bit dubiously when they saw it being poured, what causes this and is there a way I can stop it from happening in future brews?

Not much one can do if using extract
Basically...
Before bottling, if you can, drop the temp as low as you can for as long as you can... known as cold crashing.
Otherwise, store the bottles in the fridge for as long as you can or serve the Ale a couple of degrees warmer than your fridge temp (tastes better above 4c).
As you say, it is just an aesthetic issue.
Tell those dubious buddies it's not the filtered, pasteurised, over processed, bland crap they are used to and it is time they educated their palates.
Would they prefer a milk bar burger or a McD's ?

Did you use all dry malt? or tins of liquid?

I have found that an all dry malt brew can give chill haze depending on the brand.

Add polyclar at end of primary then crash chill for a few days

Tell them all your beer glasses are dirty, and all you've got left is coffee mugs. :D

Gelatin. 1 teaspoon of properly prepared gelatin per keg and I get commercial clarity in every beer.

I'm not sure that gelatin will help with chill haze, I was under the impression that gelatin was only of any real use to drop the yeast. I think polyclar is probably the way to go as Liam suggested. Although I have to admit I've never used polyclar, and only used gelatin once or twice. These days I find that a few days at 0 degrees or close to it, makes for crystal clear beer.

If all else fails, try my 1st suggestion. ;)

slash22000 said:
Gelatin. 1 teaspoon of properly prepared gelatin per keg and I get commercial clarity in every beer.
Gelatin is for yeast haze, not chill haze. You can still get chill haze if using gelatin. The fact you get crystal clear beer means you werent going to get chill haze anyway.

+1 for polyclar for chill haze and stability...
Gelatin or filtering for yeast

Huh. Well I'll be damned. Gelatin has betrayed me. I might have to get some of this Polyclar stuff.

pcmfisher said:
Did you use all dry malt? or tins of liquid?

I have found that an all dry malt brew can give chill haze depending on the brand.
Hi pcmfisher, i used Liquid Malt Extract for this recipe.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it sounds like cold crashing might be the way to go.

alimac23 said:
Hi Guys,

I have just started drinking a batch of beer that i made from a recipe on this site (Neill's Centenarillo Ale), It's a bloody gorgeous drop but i've noticed with this one that it has major chill haze. Straight from the fridge i can barely see through it but then leave it to warm up even a couple of degrees and it goes crystal clear.

This hasn't affected the taste at all and personally i don't mind the cloudiness but a few mates eyed it up a bit dubiously when they saw it being poured, what causes this and is there a way I can stop it from happening in future brews?
I was thinking of asking the same Quest. then I found this thread I think more time in the fridge could be the go. :chug:

Liam_snorkel said:
Add polyclar at end of primary then crash chill for a few days
Excuse my newbie quest. what is polyclar & do we have to add another substance in our brews. :unsure:

ash2 said:
Excuse my newbie quest. what is polyclar & do we have to add another substance in our brews. :unsure:
Well, this is polyclar VT: http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=726
And this is polyclar brewbrite: http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4396
^ same stuff essentially just used at different stages of the brewing process.
In a sense you're not really adding it to the beer because it's a fining agent.. it drops out and doesn't remain in the finished product.

Liam_snorkel said:
Well, this is polyclar VT: http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=726
And this is polyclar brewbrite: http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4396
^ same stuff essentially just used at different stages of the brewing process.
In a sense you're not really adding it to the beer because it's a fining agent.. it drops out and doesn't remain in the finished product.
Thanks for the links Liam,but I don't understand at what stage do you use it.

I'm sure the import of the advice in this thread is to chill to remove chill haze. Sounds logical.

@ ash, polyclar vt is used at the end of fermentation, it takes all the suspended chill causing protein down with it, basically electrically charged plastic particles that attract certain charged proteins and coagulate with them, dropping them out of suspension. I've not yet required to do this.

Polyclar brewbrite is a kettle fining agent used at the end of boil to drop out the same proteins and also help coagulate hops etc. I believe last I read on it the jury was still out if its the best one shot trick, I have a bag I haven't gotten around to using yet. Used whirlfloc or Irish moss and that used to work out alright.

With yeast in suspension, cold crashing seems to work brilliantly, so does filtering (I've done both, filtered on hops like a Randall, yummmmm), people also swear by gelatin but I haven't done that.

practicalfool said:
I'm sure the import of the advice in this thread is to chill to remove chill haze. Sounds logical.

@ ash, polyclar vt is used at the end of fermentation, it takes all the suspended chill causing protein down with it, basically electrically charged plastic particles that attract certain charged proteins and coagulate with them, dropping them out of suspension. I've not yet required to do this.

Polyclar brewbrite is a kettle fining agent used at the end of boil to drop out the same proteins and also help coagulate hops etc. I believe last I read on it the jury was still out if its the best one shot trick, I have a bag I haven't gotten around to using yet. Used whirlfloc or Irish moss and that used to work out alright.

With yeast in suspension, cold crashing seems to work brilliantly, so does filtering (I've done both, filtered on hops like a Randall, yummmmm), people also swear by gelatin but I haven't done that.
Thanks for that, No Comment,Say What :lol: .I think I might leave my boys in the fridge for an extra 24hrs. :super: or 48. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

It's chill haze. Who cares. If its green with purple dots. as long as it tastes good that is all that matters.

Cheers.

Most polyclar users also use gelatine first. So, crash chill with gelatine for up to a week then add polyclar for a few days and bottle/keg. Crystal clear beer.

• dissolve gelatine as instructions on here;
  • pour into a cold chill vessel and rack fermented beer onto it mixing it in as the beer drains into it;
  • chill the shit out of it for a week in a fridge;
  • add polyclar as per instruction;
  • bottle/keg a few days later;
  • carb and drink crystal clear beer.
Gelatine attracts a positive charge drawing out yeast and polyclar attracts polyphenols (chill haze shit) which are negatively charged so they both have a place in clearing up beer.

It's no biggie for me,only get it in the odd brew,just happen to have it tonight in a Fat Yak clone i'am drinking while watching the cricket,so I thought i'd ask the quest. during lunch break.
Cheers & beers for your comments.
We can always learn,when we stop learning we are 6ft under. :lol:
P.S. Their are no dumb Quest. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back