Chest Freezer / Temprite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hi guys, anybody offer some advise / pics.

i have a chest freezer and its converted to a keg firdge with temp controller etc, having a huge party over easter late post but sorry. Anyway no time to brew to got a keg 50ltr from the bottlo up the road but dam thing doesn't fit in the freezer "typical" only misses just but too much to force.

Was going to get a plastic 20ltr drum, fill it with glycol food grade from the awsome service ross at craftbrewer, then was going to place this in the freezer and put a stack of beerline inside this set the temp low and then hopefully as the beer comes from the keg it will go through the lines in the drum filled with glycol and then to the tap mounted on the lid of the chest freezer, like a temprite sorta setup, will this work ?? anybody done this any tips also as ked is already gassed from brewrey whats the best pressure to dispense at and best pressure to store in also how much glycol do you think i may need.

Basically it will work the same as a miricale box/esky but use the chest freezer to cool instead of bags of ice.

Thanks guys for your help if i get it working ill post pics etc also how much beer line do you think i should use.

If it is a one off.... grab a bit blue barrel (200L barrel used to transport what ever), cut the top off... put the keg in and cover in bags of ice etc.

Once cold hook up your gas and beer lines and use it that way.

A bit messy due to the size but will get you going.

If not just borrow a miracle box etc from the local pub / HBS / Mate and use the keg as normal without your setup.

Pok

Matt

Your idea would probably work... but it is like swimming across a rapid river when you could have used the bridge.

I am guessing you eager to show off your freezer set-up rather than use a practical solution like a miracle box.

You wouldn't need to look far in Melbourne to pick-up a miracle box either. Many pubs will hire them if you buy their kegs.

What about using a different sized keg? CUB/FGL kegs are squat, where as Tooheys/Lion Nathan kegs are taller/slimmer.

It seems like a waste of glycol, time, effort and money.

The other concern is that running all that beer line through the freezer and drum to your tap will affect you pour. You could be left with a slow pour or Co2 pockets in the line. Generally, you would only use 3 meters of 5mm/6mm line OR 2.4 meters for 4mm line for satisfactory pouring from a temprite or keg.

As for pouring pressure, I find 200kpa is best for my miracle box and 80kpa for my freezer set-up.

Let me know how you go.

Dicko

My_Asian_Box.jpg

I agree, borrow/hire a magic box and be done with it. It will be neat and easy and it will work.

Latest posts

Back