Chest Freezer Cycling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Claret

Reaction score
Quick question,
I have a new 205l chest freezer which I'm using to hold my kegs for serving. I have set it up with a fridgemate temperature controller and set the temp to 1c +/- 1c. The freezer cycles on and off perfectly and is controlling the temperature well within the range; it switches itself on/off about every 45-60minutes for a couple of minutes.

I just want to check that I'm not going to damage the freezer by having it set and cycling in this fashion; don't want to burn out the motor or other bits out. What do you think, is all sweet?

Everything appears to be fine just checking.

Cheers
AC

I've had 2 (second hand) chest freezers and they both seemed to tolerate the external power cycling of the control unit just fine.

The first was approximately 40 years old when I obtained it (free - can't complain), and it worked for approximately 5 years. It eventually lost all of its refrigerant, which I doubt had anything to do with the temperature controller running it.

The second was approximately 25 years old when I obtained it (nearly free - still can't complain) and it worked for 1.5 years with no issues. I then moved and the thing sat unplugged for about 8 months before I tried to use it again. The compressor was fine but all the refrigerant had leaked out. I've since learned that leaving a freezer unplugged for any length of time is bad for them.

I now have a commercial upright drink cooler which is controlled externally. It's been running for 1 year now....knock wood. <_<

Should be fine AC - Just 1 little question - Why 1c?? that's bloody cold to be serving your fine ales at?

Cheers Ross

Should be fine AC - Just 1 little question - Why 1c?? that's bloody cold to be serving your fine ales at?

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,
The beer temp by the time it gets to the glass is 8c (in the glass) so by your high standards about perfect!
The reservior is in the chest freezer but when the water is being pumped around the font is obviously warming up a fair bit. Everthing is insultated but I used normal garden hose on the font flooding connections and I'm guessing that the hose is actually being a poor conductor not cooling the beer in the lines sufficiently and allowing it to warm up.

You can have a look on the weekend. The font does get condensation on it pretty quickly and feels cold to the touch.

Coodgee how do you work that out?
Cheers
AC

Hi Ross,
The beer temp by the time it gets to the glass is 8c (in the glass) so by your high standards about perfect!
The reservior is in the chest freezer but when the water is being pumped around the font is obviously warming up a fair bit. Everthing is insultated but I used normal garden hose on the font flooding connections and I'm guessing that the hose is actually being a poor conductor not cooling the beer in the lines sufficiently and allowing it to warm up.

You can have a look on the weekend. The font does get condensation on it pretty quickly and feels cold to the touch.

Cheers
AC

Hi mate - Got clearence from SWMBO for Sunday :) Looking forward to it :party:

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back