Chest freezer burns my nose and throat.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barabool

Reaction score
Hi
Just got a 'new' chest freezer for controlling the temp of my brewing. I have 2 brews going and I lent in to grab something at the bottom and nearly passed out. I can not smell anything but it burnt my nose and throat. It was almost caustic.
Would that be C02? I didn't think C02 would be caustic.

Never had this happen before but must admit my old brew fridge was a stand up type fridge.

quick chemistry lesson

CO2 + H2O → H2CO3
CO2 and Water (from your nose and mouth) make carbonic acid.

you also have a 'bucket' to hold all that lovely CO2 in (CO2 being heavier than most other things in air), whereas before, you had something where it all fell out when you opened the door.
of course not quite a simple as that, but you get the idea.

this is hypothesis, not experience.

CO2 and water make carbonic acid. The CO2 from fermentation and the water vapour in the air inside the chest freezer is enough to make a pretty acidic concoction!

Totally not harmful*, so don't worry. It's the same if you've ever cleaned a confined space with cleaning vinegar - acrid as hell but not very harmful.

Edit in light of Adr_0's comment below: *Unless you asphyxiate yourself with CO2 in a confined space!

If you opened your old stand-up fridge with your face at the bottom you'd probably also have the same effect as all the heavier CO2 rushes out the bottom when you open the door.

there have been numerous tragic deaths around wineries from similar experiences on a larger scale, i.e. walking into fermenting areas or leaning close to the top of fermenting must and falling in.

be very very careful and make sure your lid doesn't accidentally jam you in there.

mods, should this topic maybe be pinned and/or renamed?

Adr_0 said:
there have been numerous tragic deaths around wineries from similar experiences on a larger scale, i.e. walking into fermenting areas or leaning close to the top of fermenting must and falling in.

be very very careful and make sure your lid doesn't accidentally jam you in there.

mods, should this topic maybe be pinned and/or renamed?
And breweries....
Brewers overcome by CO2 have fallen into and drowned in fermenting tanks. workers have died when cleaning tanks that hadn't been properly flushed of the CO2.
Not CO2 related but 8 people drowned when a giant vat of porter burst its hoops in London and flooded the neighbourhood in the early 19th century.
Then there was the brewer that fell into a vat of his beer and drowned. When a relative asked if he had gone quickly, his colleague answered, "No, he climbed out three times to take a piss".

NewtownClown said:
And breweries....
Brewers overcome by CO2 have fallen into and drowned in fermenting tanks. workers have died when cleaning tanks that hadn't been properly flushed of the CO2.
Not CO2 related but 8 people drowned when a giant vat of porter burst its hoops in London and flooded the neighbourhood in the early 19th century.
Then there was the brewer that fell into a vat of his beer and drowned. When a relative asked if he had gone quickly, his colleague answered, "No, he climbed out three times to take a piss".
The account I read (maybe in "Hops and Glory" by Pete Brown), also says that one guy died outside of the brewery/accident from alcohol poisoning.
He must have drank himself to death on the giant puddles of beer.

There was a story on "Midsommer Murders" where a fellow died when he was overcome by C02 and fell into a vat of beer.

So it's bad to carbonate water then if all I am doing is creating carbonic acid ?

Edak said:
So it's bad to carbonate water then if all I am doing is creating carbonic acid ?
No. Why would it be "bad"? It is not all that is created. It is in beer, carbonated drinks, the ocean, rivers.... anywhere water comes into contact with air. Leave water uncovered and the pH drops

NewtownClown said:
No. Why would it be "bad"? It is not all that is created. It is in beer, carbonated drinks, the ocean, rivers.... anywhere water comes into contact with air. Leave water uncovered and the pH drops
Sorry, was a bit tongue in cheek. [emoji106]

Edak said:

thinkofthechildren-3fc0a5dc1f5757c71b88be8adbfd10e9.jpg

Back