Chest Freezer As Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastdrinks

Reaction score
I am after a fridge or freezer that can hold two 30litre fermentors. Thinking of picking up a Fisher & Paykel H220X 216litre chest freezer, i know these are popular for keg setups but would they hold two fermenters? What models of fridge/freezer successfully hold two fermenters?
thanks

If you want to use a chest freezer then I suggest just bringing a couple fermenters into the store and dropping them in to see if they fit.

However I suggest you consider the back strain that can result from you lifting full fermenters in and out of the freezer.

Chest freezers are a pain with fermenters as mentioned, I have used both chest and upright for fermenters, I'm currently using an 216lt upright which fits 2 fermenters in it at once depending on size of fermenter. Great for racking cubes and on the back as well. Looking at selling off the upright in the near future as it almost surplus to my brewing needs. So if your in SA and interested PM me.

Sounds like the chest freezer idea isnt good for my back. Any suggestions on a fridge big enough for two fermenters would be helpful. But it sounds like i need to do some measuring myself.

i ve been using a chesty for fermentation for a couple of years now. if you cant lift a 25 kg fermenter out without hurting your back, maybe its time to look at an old age home placement.I think it is a good choice for power savings and temp stability, if i forget toput the lid down in summer i still sit at 20 or below and i just cant say the same for my keg fridge wich lets cold air out the second the door is open.

lol, when I read this 'Chest Freezer As Fermenter' I though you were going to seal up the freezer and pour wort into it...

QldKev

Any reasonable family sized fridge 200L+ should be able to hold two fermenters. I use jerry can type of fermenters. Removed all but one of the shelves, temp controlled fermentation of 46 lt of beer, cider, GB, whatever! Brilliant!

That would require you to buy a couple of water cans from the big green shed or the like, but might allow you to open your options on what fridge is available... Size restrictions etc...

2c only

Tyler

i ve been using a chesty for fermentation for a couple of years now. if you cant lift a 25 kg fermenter out without hurting your back, maybe its time to look at an old age home placement.

an old age home? Thats where they will have a pulley for my BIAB, Good Idea! and great post :rolleyes:

personaly i woulds get two 150-170 lt fridges (fridge only...no freezer) second hand...that way you can run two seperate ferments or cc/lager one while cranking another in the fermenter. ive got one 150 lt fridge and am looking at a 2nd handy next week to sit beside it...just have to get another tempmate set up...

just my 2c

lol, when I read this 'Chest Freezer As Fermenter' I though you were going to seal up the freezer and pour wort into it...

QldKev

My first thought too. I thought it might mean a hell of a lot of siphoning.

I've used that chest freezer to hold two fermenters before. It will hold them easy, but it's a pain in the butt I reckon. As mentioned above two individual bar fridges of a suitable size would be preferable and if you get lucky you'll probably get both cheaper than one freezer.

I have a Georje bar fridge which I suppose is about 80-100 L internally. removed a few plastic clips and thel slowly, slowly bent the freezer / condenser back against the back wall and it fits a 30L drum style fermenter no worries. Even better these type bar fridges every second person has one in their shed or laundry and most people want less than $100 for them second hand (often free!).
I use mine now mostly for lagers, ciders and cheese (any thing that needs a lower temp and / or longer time) and use my full size up right for most of my brewing of ales as I can easily fit two fermenters in.

I think Bluedog uses a chest freezer for fermenting - but he also has an overhead crane/hoist for slinging his 60L fermenters

I,ve just set up my chest freezer, so far so good. It will have heaps of room for 2 or 3 fermenters or some primimg bottles. Back was ok on the way in see how it goes on the way out. But all in all very good, have a heat pad powered through a pid controller which has kept my first ag ale at a constant 19c.

i ve been using a chesty for fermentation for a couple of years now. if you cant lift a 25 kg fermenter out without hurting your back, maybe its time to look at an old age home placement.I think it is a good choice for power savings and temp stability, if i forget toput the lid down in summer i still sit at 20 or below and i just cant say the same for my keg fridge wich lets cold air out the second the door is open.

+1

I'm an older dude and find it no problem at all with my chesty, you guys need a dress :lol:

Batz

I use a small chest freezer that fits 2 fermenters in, works great and isn't really a problem lifting a 25lt fermenter in and out. :D

till you bust your back.
Think - more accidents happen at home than in the workplace and you'd have your arse kicked by your safety officer at work if you attempted to lift a 25L fermenter full of wort up over a chest freezer. Your not going to be much good to your family if your out with a bulging disc in your back or something. I would suggest that unless you have some form of sling and hoist/skyhook or o/h crane that a chest freezer probably isnt a great idea for fermenting in. Hell its a big enough PITA lugging a corny into one - I actually fill my cornys in the freezer these days as it saves me lugging them full into the freezer. I'm getting the boys to build me a trolley to move my 30L fermenters over to the freezer too so I dont have to carry them. I'm also thinking a pump will be a good investment.

I ended up purchasing a 370litre all fridge instead off evilbay. My plans changed and now i decided to upgrade my kegerator (a 252litre all fridge)so i can fit more than two kegs and use the old kegerator for fermentation so now i have three frigdes just for beer.

There is the 370litre all fridge, going to be the new kegerator. its only 141cm high so should fit tons of kegs.
The 252litre all fridge will be the fermenation fridge. Just going to jerry cans or a 60litre fermentor to get around any space issues
Then there's the 385litre fridge/freezer, which will hold the yeast and hops in the freezer compartment and the fridge space will be for lagering.

I need to start my new job as i keep spending my old jobs severence pay. I guess there are guys out there who have more than three fridges?

Latest posts

Back