Cherry Ripe Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STOUTMAN

Reaction score
hi guys
I jus wanna know how would i make a Cherry Ripe Stout
from a kit and kilo recipe is it as easy as chucking in a few
Cherry Ripes in the 1 st fermention !!! ive jus been doing
kits and kilos and played around with hops and different sugars
if any of you guys know any thing could you drop me a line thanks

thanks STOUTMAN

Don't know what would happen to the cherry ripe, but it would be easy enough to add some cherries

How about trying:
Coopers Stout
1kg Dry malt
50g Chocolate malt steeped for 20 mins
1kg cherries smashed added to secondary

Stoutman

I would worry about what else is in the cherry ripe that may affect the head retention and flavour of the beer. Cocoa and chocolate can also reduce the head retention because of oils.

Josh's suggestion with the choc malt is a good one. I would be tempted to let it ferment out, then rack 4 or 5 litres into a secondary fermenter with a few cherries for a week to see what flavour you get. Once you know the right amount of cherries, rack the rest of the primary onto more cherries.

Cheers
Pedro

Cherry Ripe also contains around 17% coconut. I wouldn't want that in your beer either (since it's full of fat) but a tiny bit of non-fat-based coconut flavour might be something worth considering.

I once did a coconut porter, turned out quite nice, very subtle, but some thought it too cloying. The coconut did affect head retention, though, thats for sure. I would certainly be reluctant to put cherry ripe in, see if it has Potassium Sorbate listed as an ingredient. It is added to some food to inhibit yeast and mold growth, so could have quite a disastrous effect on fermentation, or (if it is added to secondary), prevent the beer from carbonating in the bottle. Just something to think about. I think that Josh has come up with a great suggestion, and would be the best starting point. That said, maybe you could add 4L of your stout to another fermenter, and chuck in a cherry ripe (all broken up, of course), adding a little yeast to get the thing going. That way, if it fails, you still have 19L of stout to drink, or add crushed cherries to. If it works out well, you know it can be done for your next batch.
All the best, and if it works out, even if it doesnt, post it up here so others will be able to learn from yer experience (if ya feel like sharing, of course!)
Trent

or make a 2xcan coopers stout and eat a cherry ripe

tangent said:
or make a 2xcan coopers stout and eat a cherry ripe
[post="110969"][/post]​

:lol: LOL,thats very sage advice Tangent.

Maybe a choc porter (ala Docs) with a little coconut essence and some cherries in secondary.

Adding cherries you could call it a KRIEK stout

Re kais comment about not wanting coconut in your beer.last year i brewed a toasted coconut porter which had by the way 400grams of toasted coconut in it.an absolutely sensational beer.mmmm now if i just added cherries i reckon it would be on the money for a cherry ripe beer(porter) or stout if i added extra.

cheers
big d

So your head was ok big d?

from memory it was ok kai.im thinking the toasting the coconut shards/shavings removes a fair percentage of the oils/fat from it before it hits the fermenter.The recipe used was by some jap guy who won a usa homebrewer award with the recipe.BJCP :ph34r: :eek:

cheers
big d

Yeah, possibly. I haven't checked the fat content on dessicated or toasted coconut lately.

I think including some would be a good idea if you want to do a cherry ripe stout though.

You can achieve your chocolate flavour with Cocoa Powder plus the use of Chocolate Essence. Don't use too much essence as this is very powerful stuff.

Regards,
Lindsay.

TDH made an Anzac beer years ago (based on Anzac buiscuits). IIRC, he "dry coconutted" it. Didn't affect the head. The beer was terrible though

cheers
Darren

Not very noice!
I might remind people of your Balsamic Lambic if you keep this behaviour up :blink:

tdh

The coconut porter I made only had 250g dessicated coconut in it, but I also toasted it and added it into the secondary. I really liked it, and will add more coconut next time, but from memory, the head retention was a bit ordinary
Trent

Back