Cherry Beer Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Van Moolenbroek

Reaction score
Prior to my home brewing days I once bought some Belgium cherry beer for Xmas, not sure what it was called but was a very nice touch to the festive season.

Still not set up for AG so hoping someone can suggest a good kit, extract or partial recipe and instructions for this type of beer given its a good time for getting Xmas brewing underway.

Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Markvm

Love the Krieks. I have about 4kg of Cherries in my freezer. Just waiting to find a decent recipe to use them with.

Was thinking of going for the lambic. But not sure if it's a good idea to introduce Brett to my fermenter???

Love the Krieks. I have about 4kg of Cherries in my freezer. Just waiting to find a decent recipe to use them with.

Was thinking of going for the lambic. But not sure if it's a good idea to introduce Brett to my fermenter???
A mate gave me some dregs of a sour beer when I had my last framboise bottled.

Basically I just opened a dozen bottles, poured in a few drops, recapped and let them sit for a few months.
The result was fantastic - the sourness played off well with the raspberries!

Has anyone recultured from a kriek or framboise?

Wigh plastic, Brett is forever.
Decide you are gonna make brett beers and stick that fermenter aside just for brett beers.
Use an old one, and shout yourself a new one for 'regular' beer

Wigh plastic, Brett is forever.
Decide you are gonna make brett beers and stick that fermenter aside just for brett beers.
Use an old one, and shout yourself a new one for 'regular' beer

Hmmm That's what I thought..

The Mrs loves them more than I do so I may just have to get another fermenter (for her).. I have a cunning plan... ;)

Hey mate, one question,

Is this your beer?
http://www.beeradvice.com.au/59/belle-vue-kriek/

If so I have been looking for a clone with not a whole lot of luck for ages, i'll try hunt it down again if thats what your after because I'm also keen on making some sort of clone.

Drew

yep you nailed it, thats the one, anything close to that would be terrific

Cheers,

Markvm

Thanks for the feedback!

Talk about opening a can of worms! I have looked at some of the links upon links and there is a large ammount of information available but has resulted in a head spin on the complications of this sort of brew which seems historically to be a beer requiring large ammounts of fermentation time, some ammount of dark arts and alchemy to produce a successful result.

For a guide a couple of extract recipes I found are as below

Batch #3, Extract
  • 6 Cans (3.3lb ea) M&F Wheat Extract (55% wheat, 45% malt)
  • 3oz aged Perle hops
  • 15+ gal water
  • Chimay Red yeast culture
Boil for 1 hour, hops in at start.

Notes:
7/15/91 Started
? Added Brett / Pedio
9/11/91 Going well, very acid.
9/26/91 Pellicle changing from 'ropy scum' to thin and whitish as the Brett takes over.
12/16/91 Mixing with 15 lbs frozen raspberries.

Batch #1, Extract
For 15 gallons of base pLambiek
  • 6.6# Northwestern Weizen Malt Extract
  • 6.6# Northwestern Gold Malt Extract
  • 3.3# Northwestern Amber Malt Extract
  • 1.5# Dextrose
  • 3.0oz Hallertauer Leaf Hops (1.5 years old + baked 20 min at 250F)
  • 15gal Palos Hills Tapwater (quite soft)
  • 8gm Gypsum
  • 6gm Sodium Chloride
  • 24 floz starter from Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (same as Wyeast #1056)
  • 16 floz starter of Brettanomyces lambicus (two weeks in starter flask)
  • 16 floz starter of Pediococcus cerevisiae (two weeks in starter flask)
Boil: 2hrs
OG: oops!
SG after 20 days: 1019
SG after 3 months: 1012

After 3 months in a white, 20 gallon HDPE Brute, the batch was split into four sub-batches: sub-batch A: 15 lbs dark, sweet cherries + 4.25 gallons of p-lambic,
sub-batch B: 13.5 lbs dark, sweet, pitted cherries + 4.25 gallons of p-lambic
sub-batch C: 12 lbs red raspberries + 1 gallon boiled/chilled water (result of the fruit sanitation) + 3.25 gallons of p-lambic, and sub-batch D: 3.25 gallons of p-lambic (destined to be pseudo-gueuze).

Will think on a skeleton recipe and hoping for forum input?

Okay heres what I am thinking as a basic starter recipe, please feel free to comment / make suggestions, will be needing plenty of help.

1.5kg can of wheat malt
1.5kg can of pale liquid malt
LDME - 300g (not sure?)
300g specialty grains probably, carapils and light crystal, maybe some pale wheat
Hops - one of the following - Brewer's Gold, Northern Brewer, or Fuggles(suggestion of aged hops so may leave in a low oven for a few hours?), 60g for 60min boil?
Belgium liquid yeast perhaps Wyeast 3942 or similar
to 20 litres

Primary fermentation 7 to 12 days @ 20c

2 - 3kg cherries, tinned or bottled including juices, still to source
Wyeast 3278 Belgiun Lambic Blend
to 23 litres
Secondary fermentation 2 to 6 weeks @ 20c

Big learning curve for me here, have only done kits and bits and some basic extracts, not done secondary fermentation before, or anywhere near this style of beer, not sure how the transfer goes from primary to secondary and at what risk is there of unwanted bugs and flavours in the process. Probably not a true Kriek or Lambic, but hoping with a bit of help and adjustments this should result in a reasonable specialy beer?

Markvm

I put together a Sour Cherry Wit last year that came off very nicely. It was AG, but it would be easy enough to duplicate with extract:
50% Pilsner
45% Torrefied Wheat (What malt would be fine as a sub)
5% Oats (this can probably be left out)
(So probably the two tins you have would be fine - assuming the wheat malt is 100% wheat, and not the 50/50 pale/what blend)

Boiled for 60 min, Styrian goldings as a bittering addition to about 20 IBUs, added 5g of cardomon and 2g of pepper in the last 10 min for a bit of extra flavour (would probably up the cardoman next time)

Fermented with T58 (gives a strong peppery aroma) for 1 week, racked to secondary, added 6kg of Sour (Morello) Cherries. Bottled.

The sour cherries gave it a nice twang, which might work in getting at some of the sourness of a kriek. The T58 worked well giving a nice dry spiciness that works well with the cherries.

I added the cherries in the secondary - stuff a pair of cut off pantyhose with frozen whole cherries, and then racked the beer on top of it. I figured that the beer was fairly anti-microbial by that point given the alcohol and C02 levels. The stuffed stockings worked great, made cleanup much easier. Don't skimp on the amount of cherries as well. I got mine at a good price from frozberries (www.frozberries.com.au) in Sydney (I think they might be in Brisbane as well). Much cheaper than the supermarket.

It has surprisingly gotten more drinkable with age as well, the sourness has mellowed a little. Will be doing something similar again this year I think with Saison yeast and a mix of sour and sweet cherries.

Thanks for your reply sirotilc

Sounds like your recipe would be the basis of a better starting point for me, like the pantyhose sock idea not doubt will save a lot of mess, like the sound of the Saison, the 6kg of cherries was this for a double batch or 23l ?

Will modify to the following

1.5kg can of wheat malt
1.5kg can of pale liquid malt
LDME - 300g
300g specialty grains probably, carapils and light crystal, maybe some pale wheat
Hops - one of the following - Brewer's Gold, Northern Brewer, Fuggles or Styrian
Wyeast Saison
to 20 litres

Primary fermentation 5 days @ 22c

rack to secondary, add 3kg cherries, tinned or bottled including juices, still to source

will be bottling, assume normal priming with carb drops / white sugar?, not sure about the cardomon and pepper, not heard of this before, do you think these profile well with the cherries?

Apologies for more questions and thanks for your help.

Cheers Markvm

6kg of Cherries for a normal 23 L batch - about right IMO, it leaves a great colour. The Cardomon and pepper were substitutes for the coriander which normally goes in a Wit. You can probably leave those out and let the yeast do the work.

From my experience I'd give it at least week on the cherries - I bottled in a hurry and so the bottles were a little more carbed than I expected! I bulk-primed with white sugar - about 150g for the entire batch I think.

I made this for the wife, and it turned out really well. Seeing as she's pregnant, it's not going anywhere soon, so i'm going to save the keg for christmas. It should disappear fairly quickly. I assume you could just sub the raspberries for cherries. Grist lets the fruit flavour shine.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: AG #6 - Raspberry Wheat
Brewer: Mitch Dudarko
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 26.33 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 51.02 %
2.20 kg Copy of Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe WhGrain 44.90 %
0.20 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 Grain 4.08 %
45.00 gm Hallertauer [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
2.10 kg Raspberries (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.90 kg
---------------------------

Sorry, didn't realize you werent set up for AG. That'll teach me to read the WHOLE post first. Agologies :D

6kg of Cherries for a normal 23 L batch - about right IMO, it leaves a great colour. The Cardomon and pepper were substitutes for the coriander which normally goes in a Wit. You can probably leave those out and let the yeast do the work.

From my experience I'd give it at least week on the cherries - I bottled in a hurry and so the bottles were a little more carbed than I expected! I bulk-primed with white sugar - about 150g for the entire batch I think.

Happy for the guidance, will up the 3kg, have a bit of fresh corriander growing in the herb patch, might throw a little of that in mix.

Thanks for the help Markvm

Latest posts

Back