Cherry Beer Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning All,

For those interest thought I would pass on my Xmas Cherry Beer 1st attempt, combined a few suggestions from the original posts, went like this:-

2 x 1.5 kg wheat extract
500g ldme
Carapils 125g
Pale wheat 125g
Pale crystal 50g

12g Haulertauer @5mins
12g Tettnager @5mins
12g Saaz dry

wyeast 3724 Belgium Saison

6 bottles of Morello cherries and 6 tins of cherries

Primary for 7 days without cherries, 20l, 24 degrees, plenty of Krauser the first couple of days but went a little quiet, put the temp up to 27 degrees after reading up a little more on the 3724, racked to secondary on top of all the cherries in a sock plus half of all the juices, carboy was overfull, did not allow for enough extra space from the cherries and liquid, but did not think it would be an issue, wrong, within 12 hours I had pink foam everywhere, kept the temp in the high 20's range for 2 weeks. OG 1.053 - FG 1.015. No idea what effect the cherries would have had on the FG or final %alc but thinking I am around the 6% mark?

Have tried several bottles since three weeks bottled and just love this stuff, good balance between the wheat and sour cherries, has a nice sour dry note, (I think? tastes buds are still a bit green), for me definitely a far better result than expected, and thinking a real treat for Xmas, thats if I can stop testing along the way. The colour is a rich cherry, lively pink head, clarity not the best, thinking this is from a combination of the yeast and the cherries. Not sure if it is the answer but next time I may rack to a third carboy for a bit of cold conditioning. Although this is an expensive beer to brew but for special occasions why not, bit of fun and variation from the normal brews, thinking of one day trying something similar with mangoes.

Note quite the Fruit Frambic but a tasty Belgium Cherry Ale

DSCF0049_1.jpg

Back