Cheapish Mash Tuns - Adelaide - Rays 26.5% Off Store Wide Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
For those in Adelaide - Rays Outdoors is having a 26.5% off storewide today and tomorrow. They have round 10 gallon gott/igloo coolers which make great mash tuns.

the big rectangular ones are also excellent.
i've seen one made up so the manifold is removable.

For those in Adelaide - Rays Outdoors is having a 26.5% off storewide today and tomorrow. They have round 10 gallon gott/igloo coolers which make great mash tuns.

Yep, the brand is Frosty (made in China) and they will cost you $73.49, normally $99.99

In the lead up to Christmas they were 50% off!

The sales are being held at selected Ray's stores over the next few weeks. In Melbourne we just had one at Frankston, I think Brighton is having one soon too. Minimal advertising so keep your eyes open.

Nowhere near the quality of the Rubbermaid ones, and you'll need to sort through the pile to find a good one. Some have problems with the inner lining not fitting properly and leaving a gap that water or wort could run down inside the body.. among other things. The lining is really thin and soft and has a strong plastic smell.

That said, I just bought one the other day in the sale so I'll see how it goes. If no good for a mash tun at least it might make a good party keg cooler.

I was kicking myself for not picking one up cheaper at Christmas, but at the time I was ticked off that they made me wait an hour for a gas refill.. only to be told they'd lost my gas bottle!

Edit: They are 38 litres.

the big rectangular ones are also excellent.
i've seen one made up so the manifold is removable.

Not sure if i have missed the point here (and more often than not i do) but my manifold is removable. I used my 55L willow esky as a beer esky last weekend. I left the tap on the outside but removed the manifold so non HB mates were a little confused but soon learnt not to walk into the esky bare foot.....

Nowhere near the quality of the Rubbermaid ones, and you'll need to sort through the pile to find a good one. Some have problems with the inner lining not fitting properly and leaving a gap that water or wort could run down inside the body.. among other things. The lining is really thin and soft and has a strong plastic smell.

Wouldn't it be great if places like Rays and Bunnings could just remove all the cheap crap that wasn't fit for purpose. Sure, it'd be a bit more expensive, but far less painful in the long run.
Better still - if they invested just a few more bucks making stuff work properly...

Ah well, end of rant.

I looked at these coolers but my "crapulence" instinct kicked in and I shied away - let me know how they work out and they may be worth another look.

Guys,

Speaking of cheap, i found one of these on ebay.
I got mine for $58 delivered to my door. They claim maintaining constant temp of up to 2 weeks.
Various sizes, i got a 40L one.
They have provisions for drainage or taps.
I havent used mine yet, but just looking at it......im stoked with my purchase.

MashTunangle.jpg

MashTuninside.jpg

I borrowed a tun made from the same esky. Bloody brilliant!

Utube1

false bum

this setup is what i mean about being convertable back to an esky very easily.

Cheers JT but the link does not work.
Just copy the web address into the post. I would like to explain how to add a link correctly but it gives me grief every time I try and can't remember how I get them to work.

:beer:

Latest posts

Back