cheapest birko 40l urn I found

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't bother with the eBay urn. They are pieces of crap. Birko's don't need the cutout bypassed. They work fine straight from the box. Concealed or exposed makes no difference unless you intend to leave the bag in with power on. I have a Birko, used on 40 brews and has never missed a beat. Just make sure you wipe the element clean after you brew.

Replace the stock tap with a 1/2" ball valve. Makes life easier.

tavas said:
Don't bother with the eBay urn. They are pieces of crap. Birko's don't need the cutout bypassed. They work fine straight from the box. Concealed or exposed makes no difference unless you intend to leave the bag in with power on. I have a Birko, used on 40 brews and has never missed a beat. Just make sure you wipe the element clean after you brew.

Replace the stock tap with a 1/2" ball valve. Makes life easier.
I concur

FYI something worth noting is that the Crown urns National Homebrew sell have the cutout mod performed at the factory so it does not effect the warrant of the unit - well, it was something that was done to mine which I purchased from them about a month ago....

It's not something which was advertised on the site, but certainly turned out to be a happy bonus I found out after purchasing. As for the urn itself, I've been getting great result with it so far (although only have 4 brews under my belt using it).

Birkos and Crown exposed element urns are perfect for BIAB, I've owned two. Crown exposed element seem to be a bit cheaper, about $260 from Craftbrewer (sponsor).

After using both for several years I'd go the Crown, personally, as it has a more robust tap - immatesticle if you are going to replace with a ball valve.

Remember that urns are really designed for restaurant and ladies' bingo hall usage and home brewing is low down on their list, although the introduction of the Crown exposed element is a sign that our craft is now on their radar.

That's a great price for a concealed element urn . you can't really go wrong with that. Having said that. Heaps of urns come up on Gumtree and ebay second hand. If you can wait.

There's a bit more info about the Buffalo urn in the Website deals thread. I got one and have had a couple of minor issues but another poster had his fail part way through a boil. I was told by Nisbets that they had problems with them a while back but all current stock have been electrically tested. Not so sure. On mine the heating light doesn't come on at all. Not a show stopper, but should work if it's been tested.
Then again, the price is right.

looks like a good price. i've been looking for a while to find a good deal.. garage sales tip shops gumtree etc, but this looks good. anyone else used one of these?

Thanks for all the replies, folks. That buffalo looks mighty tempting, however, I'm leaning towards the tried and tested birko. I don't think I've heard much of a complaint about that unit yet...

What's the preferred configuration, concealed or exposed element? And what are the advantages either way?
The Buffalo looks like a good deal, provided they don't fail of course.

I have a crown concealed, I was told it is easier to clean compared to exposed, works great, never tripped out and easy as to clean

If Crown and Birko had any idea how many home brewers are buying their products, they might find it worth their while doing a bit of research into what is required for that part of their market and develop a range for those people. One of them could really capture the home brew market with some slight modifications.

Pokey said:
What's the preferred configuration, concealed or exposed element? And what are the advantages either way?
The Buffalo looks like a good deal, provided they don't fail of course.
Holden vs Ford. Concealed is supposed to easier to clean and won't burn your bag if you leave it in with power on. Exposed doesn't trip the cut out on Crowns apparently.
At the end of the day it won't make much difference. I soak the urn with Napisan at the end of the brew day so cleaning isn't really an issue. I would say stick with either Crown or Birko, and go with the cheaper one you find. Either should give years of service if looked after correctly. My preference was Birko based on known issues with cutout. It was simply something I didn't want to deal with, but plenty of guys on here use Crowns. I would suggest swapping out valve for a ball valve but that is your call.

Expect to pay between $220-$280. I found mine on eBay, sometimes catering mobs have clearance sales. Many home brew stores stock Crowns.

Bribe has both. He prefers the Crown tap. Crown is taller and skinnier, Birko stockier and fatter.

Just found a Birko urn on EBay, new for $299 with free delivery.
Item number 290756121927, not sure how to paste a link free the app.

Just a follow up on my Buffalo. Used it again yesterday for the second time and no problems. I did have to set it at the full 110 to stop the thermometer cutting it out while boiling. But it did the job.
That's 2 brews down and many more to come I hope.

Back