Cheap Urn On Ebay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanteHicks

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Wanting to move on from Kit & Kilo to extract and maybe BIAB, and I have been looking at urns on eBay.

There is one in particular, quite cheap, and I am concerned it may be too good to be true.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/350499422044?ss...984.m1438.l2649

It is 35L, 2500watt and temp range from 30 to 110 deg, and is 360mm x 360mm x 630mm.

Has anyone used one of these before?

Will it be big enough to do 23L BIAB? Most people seem to use 40L urns for this, will 35L be big enough?

Thanks heaps guys.

Looks amazing to me. Great price and actually looks like it's very well made.

35L will be big enough for 23L batches.

Would be a bit of a risk as no one has used one but seems good to me.

The seller has sold dome bodgy S'S pots in the past and there are a few topics on here. I know this isn't the same item its enough to make you question.

Some of us did have bad experiences buying cheap urns off ebay, i.e. they worked for a few batches then the elements died, however, this one looks like a completely different unit so who knows. I've never seen this one suggested by anyone here so I can only guess it's a new unit and someone needs to be the guinea pig and report back.

Depends on you budget I guess and whether you feel it's worth buying a "name brand" urn with the extra 5L space. I ended up buying a Birko after my el cheapo died and am really happy with it.

35L should do full batches at a stretch but you won't have much room to play with.

If anyone is game enough to try them please let us know how they go. Wanting to go AG but waiting for a 'space-saving' option and an urn sounds good to me.

Wow, if it is any good that is a great price and no shipping costs!!

Handy Imports said:
Warranty

At Handy Imports we are committed to offering you a safe and pleasant shopping experience so if a mishap occurs, we are here to help you!

24 months parts: We have a full range of spare parts in stock and are happy to supply you with any part (should any part malfunction in the next 24months) for a nominal charge. Please note, postage costs are at the purchaser's expense.

Full 1 year free parts and labor warranty: If you want piece of mind and don't have the time to fix faulty items or don't want the hassle of replacing parts! Then let us do that for you! We offer 1 year full warranty on all our items and the warranty can be purchased from us through eBay. If full warranty charges are not stated in this warranty section email us for a quote. Please note, postage costs are at the purchasers expense.

A one year free parts warranty that you have to purchase? They smell a bit dodgy to me.

A one year free parts warranty that you have to purchase? They smell a bit dodgy to me.

Handy Imports
ABN: 99 126 717 468 ACN: 126 717 468
Buy from a registered company, get a proper tax invoice, claim back GST & save 10%

It is illegal for them to not offer a warranty. They are an Australian registered company selling goods in Australia.

I have managed to convince myself it will be ok, I will consult(beg) SWMBO and let you all know how it goes.

I've been looking at the same unit. To use as a HLT. I'll wait to see if your's lives :)

Take some pics if you can too mate. If all goes well I may end up buying one as a HLT and go 3V.

gotta give the aussie manufacturers a plug here, i did my homework and bought a birko urn, elements are available locally. just gotta look at the big picture, my mate bought a 3kva generator that didn't work out of the box from ebay seller, cost him 500 bucks and now uses it to keep his shed door open, he now owns a 2kva honda.
not so much where it is made but make sure the warranty is worth the paper it's written on and spare parts are available.
an urn costs up to $300 but but an element is around $50 but not if it's an unknown brand.
(once bitten twice shy ;) )

Will take some photos once it arrives. I will also do some testing on how long it takes to come to the boil and how much volume is lost over say a 60 min boil.

Milo mate, I know exactly where you are coming from, however I really want to get out of kit and kilo, and I cant afford anything better at the moment. Perhaps when I can I will upgrade and keep this for a HLT.

Will take some photos once it arrives. I will also do some testing on how long it takes to come to the boil and how much volume is lost over say a 60 min boil.

Milo mate, I know exactly where you are coming from, however I really want to get out of kit and kilo, and I cant afford anything better at the moment. Perhaps when I can I will upgrade and keep this for a HLT.
no worries, hopefully it'll go well for you.

So i ordered it on the 14th and it arrived yesterday, nice fast shipping.

Out of the box it appears to be ok, it has a concealed element and a sight tube, sight tube is not measured in liters however.

I will post some pics when I can, the soon to be mother-in-law is down from Brisbane for the weekend, so my time with new toys is limited.

I will also do a test to see how long it takes to boil and what sort of boil off there is over an hour or so.

Handy Imports
ABN: 99 126 717 468 ACN: 126 717 468
Buy from a registered company, get a proper tax invoice, claim back GST & save 10%

It is illegal for them to not offer a warranty. They are an Australian registered company selling goods in Australia.

Yep. Entirely illegal. Though the catch 22 here is going to be, if used for anything other than boiling water they will likely refuse to honour the return anyway. Wish crown would make one designed for beer, they replied to my email..maybe in the future.

if people have issues with defective products there's the office of fair trading and the accc

Latest posts

Back