Cheap Small Batch Equipment (big W And Bunnings)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a few nice items for doing smaller batches and thought some people might be interested in the same stuff.

I got a 16L stainless pot on special from Big W for $30, and then a 3M coil of copper tube for $10 from Bunnings in Altona - much cheaper per meter than the larger coils. The 3m makes a pretty good size immersion chiller for the 16L pot.

Now I just need to find a ~10L fermenting vessel :)

I might head back tonight. What would you do for an airlock with one of the small cubes? Cling-film and rubber-band or drill the lid, put in a grommet and use a bubbler/blow-off tube?

So far I've only fermented in my Coopers fermenter with the pre-drilled bubbler hole.

Thanks

Just go the glad wrap mate. I'd drill a hole to put a tap in though, if it doesn't already have one

You can sometimes get the 19L pots from Big W for $20 or less.

But other than that, good work. Get a 15L cube from bunnings for fermenting or just buy a fresh wort kit, ferment it, and use the cube for fermenting small batches!

You can sometimes get the 19L pots from Big W for $20 or less.

But other than that, good work. Get a 15L cube from bunnings for fermenting or just buy a fresh wort kit, ferment it, and use the cube for fermenting small batches!

I already have a 40L Aluminium pot (but no chiller yet) and a couple of fermenters/cubes from 17L to 23L, so I have the essentials for larger extract/BIAB batches. I got these so I can do some smaller trial batches (and practice :)) and maybe try an AG batch.

I got a 10L plastic jerry from bunnings for $10, with a tap fitted and i drilled a hole in the lid for grommet and air lock, works like a charm! (well except when you put 8L of high gravity stout in and it goes for a swim in foam :p)

19L Stainless Steel pot at Big W for $20. I grabbed one last night. I'm not entirely sure what to do with it yet since I'm only a kits n bits brewer atm but recalled reading something about boiling the wort etc and thought it was a bargin when I saw it. I'm just hoping I got the right size for the job.

19L Stainless Steel pot at Big W for $20. I grabbed one last night. I'm not entirely sure what to do with it yet since I'm only a kits n bits brewer atm but recalled reading something about boiling the wort etc and thought it was a bargin when I saw it. I'm just hoping I got the right size for the job.

You did good mate. Those pots are the best bang for buck you can buy in the home brew world if you ask me. Make all extract beers, or partial mashes, or even kits and bits, on your stove top. Add your own hops. Wonderful. If/when you move to all grain they make a really handy stainless steel bucket to help you on brew day.

Make all extract beers, or partial mashes, or even kits and bits, on your stove top.

My first partial was in one of these on the stove top...

You're on the slippery slope as soon as you buy a big pot that you know is not for food.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back