Cheap Mash Tun Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've emailed them to see if they can ship. God I won't sleep for a week. :lol: As for the doohickies, they weren't avaliable then so I made my own, like a false bottom from an aluminium sheet cut into a circle with a hacksaw and drilled with n holes, and a hop filter made from a wire kitchen strainer whacked into approximate shape etc.

I wonder if beerbelly could make shiney stainless one for you?

This is my old bicket of death. Not at all inclined to split but having two jug elements, some kind of bare terminals, a few drips, a bit ustable, etc always something to treat with etreme respect.
Picture%2052.jpg

Only cost about $30 dollars though (without the thermo) and was good for 60 litres.
It was based on my old Bruheat which was an OK boiler but a complete PITA for mashing unless you were working about 4 litres per kg.

The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!
Friedrich Nietzsche 1844-1900

Haha awesome, I think I'll keep my ideas to myself next time, seems you can't reinvent the wheel when it comes to the world's oldest alcoholic beverage.

Brafrau: I would buy my toilet paper from Wayne if he sold it, but I don't think I've ever seen those sediment reducers in his shop before (I guess 'cos they're useless?).

Or for a chunk less money again, you could have a mashtun just like mine .... (IIRC it was $8 from the big green store)

IMG_1696.JPG

Mines uninsulated because I run a HERMS (soon to be RIMS) but thats nothing a few dollars worth of camping mat and some of that extra cheap gaffa couldn't fix. Or you could buy 2 of them for less than the price of a fermentor and sit them one inside the other and let the air gap do the insulating for you., or I suppose you could fill the gap with expending foam goo.

Mines 47L but these things go up to 140L - when Spillsmostofit, myself, Peels, Quintrex, Velophile and Darkfaerytale had a big brewday - the 134L one we used could probably have done with a little structural support in order to deal with the 35 odd kg of grain we threw at it, but it made it through the day just fine and 100+L of strong scotch ale was the result.

As big a mash tun as you like for bugger all.

Thirsty

Or for a chunk less money again, you could have a mashtun just like mine .... (IIRC it was $8 from the big green store)

Mines uninsulated because I run a HERMS (soon to be RIMS) but thats nothing a few dollars worth of camping mat and some of that extra cheap gaffa couldn't fix. Or you could buy 2 of them for less than the price of a fermentor and sit them one inside the other and let the air gap do the insulating for you., or I suppose you could fill the gap with expending foam goo.

Mines 47L but these things go up to 140L - when Spillsmostofit, myself, Peels, Quintrex, Velophile and Darkfaerytale had a big brewday - the 134L one we used could probably have done with a little structural support in order to deal with the 35 odd kg of grain we threw at it, but it made it through the day just fine and 100+L of strong scotch ale was the result.

As big a mash tun as you like for bugger all.

Thirsty

Now that's a neat trick !

My 44 litre esky is on its last legs now, the plastic is cracking all over the place. I reckon if I drop the thing it will just fall to bits. Oh well it has seen me through 20 odd years of partying and mayhem :lol:

A trip to the big green box might just be in order this weekend to investigate a new "thats not a storage box, its a mash tun !" options.

gary

Back