Cheap (like Povo) Secondary (or Even A Food Grade Container?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanga

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm brewing a mexican cerveza style beer and have just realised it's loquat season here and I'd like to try some fruit in secondary. Only thing is I don't have another fermenter here. Can I rack into a sterilised food grade container and then rack back again? Where could I get such a container cheap/free (25 L).

Oh, crap! I don't have my siphon tubing either. Can I use some tubing with sterilised muslin / cotton over the end?

I'm looking to do this really povo because my budget was more than blown this month.

If you know a cleaner you might be able to get a big empty bleach container from them for next to nothing.

As for the tubing I have no idea.

Get a food bucket, like feta or something. Big industrial one. I've seen 20kg tubs of mayo, they are big buckets. Ues the lid or clingwrap it.

I do - but I need something bigger than that - 25 L - she uses the normal size ajax containers.

I do - but I need something bigger than that - 25 L - she uses the normal size ajax containers.

Got my willow jerry can from big W, it was $15 but i think it was on special so could be anythink up to $25

Most cleaners get their bleach containers in 25L, bulk amounts.

or Try a big kitchen they have big 25L cubes of soap,bleach etc

Mayo containers can easily be had from the local fish'n'chip or chook shop for a couple of dollars

Tanga ,

Loquat fruit would have a lot of wild yeast on the skin .
Make sure you have cleaned them well before pureing them .

I would add the loquat puree the primary fermenter after a two or three days, so you dont need a secondary container which is only another source of infection .this way the yeast will protect your beer from infection and eat up the sugar from the fruit .

make sure you have temperature control to keep it about 18C during fermentation so it dont get hot alchohol produced by the yeast .

You may have to reduce the sugar you add to the beer, I take it is a kit fro Big W, as if the kit is for a 5% beer, you may end up with a 6% beer, which may sound good, but if you are looking for a fresh summer beer ,that may be a not a great quaffing beer .there is a big difference to

Pumpy

I would add the loquat puree the primary fermenter after a two or three days, so you dont need a secondary container which is only another source of infection
Pumpy

+1 to the Puree.

I Love Loquats

Most cleaners get their bleach containers in 25L, bulk amounts.

or Try a big kitchen they have big 25L cubes of soap,bleach etc

Thanks Hughezy. If the mayo advice (below) thing falls through I'll give it a go. Have you done this? How safe is it? Presumably LOTS of rinses?

Mayo containers can easily be had from the local fish'n'chip or chook shop for a couple of dollars

Damn! I should have thought of this - thanks pokolbinguy! Great advice! My flatmate works at a chook shop. She said she'll try to grab me one - apparently the buckets are pretty popular with the fishing crew there though :( .

Tanga ,

Loquat fruit would have a lot of wild yeast on the skin .
Make sure you have cleaned them well before pureing them .

I would add the loquat puree the primary fermenter after a two or three days, so you dont need a secondary container which is only another source of infection .this way the yeast will protect your beer from infection and eat up the sugar from the fruit .

make sure you have temperature control to keep it about 18C during fermentation so it dont get hot alchohol produced by the yeast .

You may have to reduce the sugar you add to the beer, I take it is a kit fro Big W, as if the kit is for a 5% beer, you may end up with a 6% beer, which may sound good, but if you are looking for a fresh summer beer ,that may be a not a great quaffing beer .there is a big difference to

Pumpy

Thanks Pumpy. All great advice. This batch is already a week in. I don't want it too strong, I was just afraid the flavour might be a bit thin (since I have about 5 litres water too much) - I think I might just leave it as is though (since the 750mL of lime cordial has already added extra boozamahol). I tasted the wort and it actually had a pretty good flavour. The body sucks but it does have a nice tang which I hope will stick around. This with bubbles will be a good summer brew.

I might just use a little loquat juice for priming. My flatmate has a juicer too (I will miss it when I leave in Janruary :p ) - so I'll just juice the loquats using that and add a little sodium met (then leave it covered over night or whatever google tells me to do) before adding it to the bottles.

+1 to the Puree.

I Love Loquats

I know. I can't believe they're not more popular. Kinda glad they're not though ;)

Latest posts

Back