Cheap gumtree urns. dodgy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it a go. Could be the new home brew special.

how would you get your brew out into a fermenter

hard to syphon

tap is well up in the urn

Be interested to hear others opinions, but i would have thought a 2000w concealed element would take a bloody long time to heat up 50lt of water; could always throw in another element to help out I guess.

Although on the plus side, at least it will plug into a standard 10A outlet.

Cheers
Baz

Hey Beercus,

Let me know if you get one what it is like?
Would be worth it for the price and just add new ball tap lower and thermo well.

Cheers
Brad

Rod said:
how would you get your brew out into a fermenter

hard to syphon

tap is well up in the urn
Is it possible the tap is so high due to the concealed element?

there is also this one at 28L, Link

he also has the 28L and 38L urns on ebay for a little more LINK

ALSO, my first post said the urn was 48L, in fact the larger one is 38L

beercus

I got one of these off ebay in November last year for $95 + shipping. Actual capacity is 44L to the brim, and the tap sits pretty high, about 6 litres in the bottom. I generally have a 4L trub once I tip the urn, hop spider & 18m copper coil IC to drop break.
I've put 12 brews thru it (most recently back to back porters on the weekend!) and its fine, no leaky tap.
Couple of issues though:
  1. When doing a wheat it will bake a tough stone onto the floor over the concealed element. A bugger to get off, but no burnt effect noticeable. Nothing as bad as the bare elements I've seen posted. I use drops of Starsan to soak when its hot, peels right off.
  2. This stone can cause the pot to cut out toward the last 20-30min of a 90 min boil. Bit of a pain, but restarts after a couple of minutes. No real impact on evap rate of 4.5L/hr.
I think I've got a 2400W unit, no probs holding a nice rolling boil, and ramps up at about 10 degrees per 10 minutes, based on timing my step infusions & mash-outs. So for stepped mashes I now simply hold out 6L @ 95 degrees and add when going from say 52-64. Ramp up to mash-out 66-66 to 72-78 degress is OK. Lift the bag tho', that cover plate is very hot.

WP_20131123_007.jpg

cheers!

Also you could remove the tap, put in a thermometer and drill a tap lower down.

oglennyboy said:
I got one of these off ebay in November last year for $95 + shipping. Actual capacity is 44L to the brim, and the tap sits pretty high, about 6 litres in the bottom. I generally have a 4L trub once I tip the urn, hop spider & 18m copper coil IC to drop break.
I've put 12 brews thru it (most recently back to back porters on the weekend!) and its fine, no leaky tap.
Couple of issues though:
  1. When doing a wheat it will bake a tough stone onto the floor over the concealed element. A bugger to get off, but no burnt effect noticeable. Nothing as bad as the bare elements I've seen posted. I use drops of Starsan to soak when its hot, peels right off.
  2. This stone can cause the pot to cut out toward the last 20-30min of a 90 min boil. Bit of a pain, but restarts after a couple of minutes. No real impact on evap rate of 4.5L/hr.
I think I've got a 2400W unit, no probs holding a nice rolling boil, and ramps up at about 10 degrees per 10 minutes, based on timing my step infusions & mash-outs. So for stepped mashes I now simply hold out 6L @ 95 degrees and add when going from say 52-64. Ramp up to mash-out 66-66 to 72-78 degress is OK. Lift the bag tho', that cover plate is very hot.

attachicon.gif
WP_20131123_007.jpg

cheers!
So worth a go at that kind of money?.... Do you think it will make a huge difference at 2000W?

beercus

I reckon its probly running around 2400W anyway, given they state the operating voltage 220-240V, so at 10A thats more than 2000W? Just guessing, don't actually know.
But yeah the urn for me has run without a hitch and I think came with a warranty (no good in Tas, postage is a killer) so that may give some comfort.
Speaking of which, I wrap my urn in an old filthy dogs doona & occy straps, loses 1 degree in 90 minutes.
Compared with a big pot & burner this was about half the price, so I was happy enough to jump in as a way of testing the BIAB waters cheaply. Still happy :)

I'm going to have a look at hathro's tip for a new tap & pop the lid to check out the wiring too. Will post a pic tonight.

I hope they are OK. He delivers for 10 bucks to Bentleigh East from Heidelberg. I hope it actually arrives. Should make a nice HLT.

The 48L kettle above is 40cm height and 40cm diameter. That makes 50.2L - assuming that the inside is a flat concealed element?

This may just be the backup urn/larger brew vessel I've been looking for...

hathro said:
The 48L kettle above is 40cm height and 40cm diameter. That makes 50.2L - assuming that the inside is a flat concealed element?

This may just be the backup urn/larger brew vessel I've been looking for...
Just had a look at my BIABacus, my measurements are 37cm dia X 41cm deep for 44L capacity. That fits with the volumes I can achieve for bigger brews based on headspace. Bottom is flat with concealed element.

Bought it from the same chap on ebay, reckon it's just a little stretching of the measurements on his part ;)

oglennyboy said:
Couple of issues though:

attachicon.gif
WP_20131123_007.jpg

cheers!
Is yours the one with what looks like a black coating around the lower third of the urn or the straight stainless jobby?? So does 44L less 6L(below the tap) make it the 38L one?? Or the 48L??

Latest posts

Back